Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's the thing though--if you watch the tape, other parents complained and they'd removed the routine the year before, but decided to bring it back. Knowing small town politics as well as I unfortunately do it sounds like this is a little bit of a fight between the cheer advisors and some of the parents. Bottom line--if there's any question, they just shouldn't do the cheer--there are ten million other funny, cute cheers they could do that would absolutely be appropriate for that age group. I think you're seeing a little bit of "I'll do it however the heck I want because I'm in charge" small town politics at it's worst.
This goes to the issue of getting the school administration and school board involved. If parents are REALLY against it then they should organize so their voices are heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Actually, if you watched the video to the end you'd notice that he mentions exceptions to the rule..
I really did listen to it all and found his narcissistic attitudes regarding women to be stereotypically nuts. He's not unique and he has zero knowledge of rooster wannabes chasing skirts well into their 70's. It passes for male identity in some American subcultures. Either way as it pertains to this thread adult problems shouldn't be put upon kids no matter the reasons. Wrong is wrong.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are cheerleaders NOT dancers.
Modern day cheerleaders are dancers too. They are combos of acrobats, dancers and barkers. They do all of them.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Personally--I don't think the problem is as much if little boys are going to be attracted to these girls (my son and his friends are NOT there yet at 11) but more about how the girls start to see themselves. Girls have a hard enough time with self esteem--why push even more that their value is in being cute and sexy vs. strong and athletic or intelligent. This kind of stuff, along with the whole Brittany Spears way of dressing, just gives them the completely wrong message about themselves. I think it's just tacky and sad.
Don't kid yourself it hurts boys too. They're getting a false sense of womanhood the same as girls and it will harm their relationships with women in the future. Music encouraging males and females into pimp and prostitute identities is sickness. Glad to see black women stand up for themselves too but I don't see them sticking to their guns strongly enough when beyonce is on their computers and I'm witnessing their 5 yr old girl imitate the entertainer mom is watching.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They are cheerleaders NOT dancers.
As a football team owner (arena) I can tell you first hand that our cheerleaders are indeed dancers. They have steps to study, to make, in sequence with other members, and if you refuse to do the steps, your out...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Why should the school compromise if one child doesn't want to dance? If this was REALLY a big issue then the parents or the school board should decide what type of cheering and dancing is acceptable. Unless there are other details to the story the fact the parents of other children, the school administration or the school board don't have an issue means

She didn't like the cheerleading dance so she left. She did the right thing based on her beliefs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she was kicked off the squad for refusing to shake her booty during the routine. Yes, she did the right thing. Too bad the "adult" in this situation didn't.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
11 years old is a little young to be cheering, anyway, IMO.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
11 years old is a little young to be cheering, anyway, IMO.
Times have changed for the worse in some ways. The biggest problem in my growing years was earning permission at some vague point to wear any sort of makeup restricted mostly to halloween. Nowadays kids have their drawers hanging out calling it fashion and parents let them walk out of the house that way.

Nothing about cheer leading is so horrible until it's taken to an inappropriate place for the given age group. Think about this-- people spend more time choosing age appropriate toys in a department store. As jazzy mentioned I very much hope parents do step up to the school board meeting regarding policy. I doubt any child psychologist worth their salt would disagree with them on this issue.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I really did listen to it all and found his narcissistic attitudes regarding women to be stereotypically nuts.
This is a very interesting comment because all he really said about middle aged women was.. You're getting older and you're upset that you don't look young anymore. He said a lot of things about middle aged men though...

What did he specifically say about middle aged women that you found "narcissistic" or "stereotypically nuts"?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
This is a very interesting comment because all he really said about middle aged women was.. You're getting older and you're upset that you don't look young anymore. He said a lot of things about middle aged men though...

What did he specifically say about middle aged women that you found "narcissistic" or "stereotypically nuts"?
No he claimed a womans mid life crisis went on perpetually because she's officially worthless at 40 something while the male mid life crisis went on for a year before he gets over it. He's defined the planet based on a script of a Kevin Spacey movie. He's clueless about growing older. It screams of ageism applicable to both genders but we're getting very far off topic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies