Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's quite possible to run a business without accepting checks. Speaking from personal experience.
Who said anything about *accepting* checks? Besides, what's "possible" and what happens in the real world can be vastly different - just ask anyone that's tried to create a paperless office.

Regardless, there are quite a lot of checks being written every day. Checks are still very widely used, particularly for b2b transactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
LOL, do you also call your dentist co pay a "Tax" or the money for a lawn service charges a "tax"?
Let's not be ridiculous. We choose those things. We aren't stupid. We know the differnce between a tax and a service that we choose.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
That reform bill has about 25 new regulations on banks that they must comply with.
ALL banks, not just the bailout banks. You think implementing them is FREE ? You think it won't cost the banks money to implement some of these regulations and maybe have to hire people to make sure they comply with the new anti-discrimination quotas ?

Yeah..great sweeping changes..biggest since the Great Depression ?
Asking if you want to be charged $35 on an overdraft before you take out that money is sweeping ?

And nothing done about Glass-Steagall, shadow banking or reigning in the derivative mess didn't concern American taxpayers ??

Geeze..it sure doesn't take much to please some people.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well yes, but its not a new thing caused by Obama and congress.
I agree. The subject of paper checks kind of came up as a result, and went off on a slight tangent from the "it's Obama's fault!" topic.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM

277 posts, read 166,652 times
I belong to a credit union...I have free checking. I also do not have to keep a minimum balance, say $200., in my checking account.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
First of all, don't delude yourself into thinking that your checking account was ever "free"; the costs are always born somewhere within the marketplace of banking services.

Second of all, I'm all for "free checking", and I'm even open to different regulation than Obama's administration put in place, but what clearly wasn't working was the regulation that was currently in place - or we obviously wouldn't have had this subprime crap storm get so out of control to begin with. So the status quo is not acceptable.

If we could ensure that banks would not take grossly irresponsible actions that would nearly decimate the economy and require us to bail them out, I would gladly give up my "free checking" for that.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it shim View Post
Credit Unions are definitely on my radar in making a transition. Everything offered by them appears to be consumer friendly in terms of offering the best rates.

I'd prefer the way BOA is doing it now as opposed to the "hidden fees" bit. Regulation of the banks is good thing IMO, employment rates, and inflation have generally been under better control with it in place.

Do you mean regulations like Glass-Steigall?

Sure would have been nice if a bankster's best friend Dodd would have included a provision to restore the regulatory powers that Glass-Steigall provided for some sixty years. Would have been nice if the Democrat Congress would have passed a regulatory reform bill that included that key provision so we wouldn't have to bail out the same "too big to fail" institutions all over again.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, it will go away, and sooner than you think.
They've been saying that about cash for a long time, too.

Quote:
There is no need for anyone to write a traditional check anymore, what with check/debit cards and electronic banking.
Sorry, but you're just plain wrong.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm confusing nothing. The question asked is how do you electronically pay for a service?, and my answer covered a method of doing so.
Nice try, tk.

How would you electronically pay my business, which does not do direct debits, without using a credit card?

Here, I'll answer it for you. You would either send me cash or a check, or wire the money. Those are the only options. Trust me - I know what forms of payment we accept.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I have lived long enough to know first hand that when the liberals are in charge my life becomes far more expensive and the poor still remain poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies