U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,260 posts, read 19,244,927 times
Reputation: 8460

Advertisements

At least he won't remain unemployed for long I assume A Don Juan on food stamps wouldn't be overly attractive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,041,096 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please reference specifically where Juan Williams used a broad brush to articulate his concerns.
Allow me:
Well, actually, I hate to say this to you because I don't want to get your ego going. But I think you're right. I think, look, political correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality.

I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

Now, I remember also when the Times Square bomber was at court -- this was just last week -- he said: "the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood." I don't think there’s any way to get away from these facts.
Quote:

Specifically from which "journalist standards" do you claim Williams deviated?

Show me!
Here is NPR's ethics code:

About NPR: Ethics Code



III. Statement of principles

Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness. We must treat the people we cover and our audience with respect.

"Unbiased" means that we separate our personal opinions - such as an individual's religious beliefs or political ideology - from the subjects we are covering. We do not approach any coverage with overt or hidden agendas.


IV. Conflicts of interest

1. Conducting ourselves in a manner that inspires confidence in us as independent and fair means avoiding actual and apparent conflicts of interest or engaging in outside activities, public comment or writing that calls into question our ability to report fairly on a subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 36,531,039 times
Reputation: 6272
Admit it, you've thought the same thing getting on a plane. You would also think that if you saw Van Heflin with a briefcase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Allow me:
Well, actually, I hate to say this to you because I don't want to get your ego going. But I think you're right. I think, look, political correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality.

I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

Now, I remember also when the Times Square bomber was at court -- this was just last week -- he said: "the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood." I don't think there’s any way to get away from these facts.
Here is NPR's ethics code:

About NPR: Ethics Code
Still looking for the broad brush. I don't see it in what is highlighted, not given the rest of his statements throughout the segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 16,291,614 times
Reputation: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Allow me:
Well, actually, I hate to say this to you because I don't want to get your ego going. But I think you're right. I think, look, political correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality.

I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

Now, I remember also when the Times Square bomber was at court -- this was just last week -- he said: "the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood." I don't think there’s any way to get away from these facts.
Here is NPR's ethics code:

About NPR: Ethics Code



III. Statement of principles

Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness. We must treat the people we cover and our audience with respect.

"Unbiased" means that we separate our personal opinions - such as an individual's religious beliefs or political ideology - from the subjects we are covering. We do not approach any coverage with overt or hidden agendas.


IV. Conflicts of interest

1. Conducting ourselves in a manner that inspires confidence in us as independent and fair means avoiding actual and apparent conflicts of interest or engaging in outside activities, public comment or writing that calls into question our ability to report fairly on a subject.

It is fascinating to me how the left ignores the context of the conversation.

" I think if you stated that most Muslims are a threat (a much more declarative formulation than "I get worried" about "people who are in Muslim garb"), or that all Muslims should be singled out for special scrutiny, or that our basic policy problem is with Muslims, then you might be getting warmer. But later in the O'Reilly interview, Williams specifically repudiated all three of those sentiments:
WILLIAMS: Wait a second though, wait, hold on, because if you said Timothy McVeigh, the Atlanta bomber, these people who are protesting against homosexuality at military funerals, very obnoxious, you don't say first and foremost, we got a problem with Christians. That's crazy.
Later, in a crosstalk-heavy exchange about Germany's Muslim integration issues, there was this:
O'REILLY: Juan, who is posing a problem in Germany? Is it the Muslims who have come there or the Germans? [...] Who's causing the problem?
WILLIAMS: I think -- I think -- no, no, wait. See, you did it again. It's extremists. It's people who refuse to --
O'REILLY: It's not extremists.
WILLIAMS: It's a German society. They are the ones causing that problem.
And then there was this:
WILLIAMS: But, Bill, here's a caution point. The other day in New York, some guy cuts a Muslim cabby's neck and says he's attacking him or you think about the protest at the mosque near Ground Zero --
[...]
WILLIAMS: I don't know what is in that guy's head. But I'm saying, we don't want in America, people to have their rights violated to be attacked on the street because they heard a rhetoric from Bill O'Reilly and they act crazy. We've got to say to people as Bill was saying tonight, that guy is a nut.
O'REILLY: He is a nut. And I said that about the guy in Florida -- who wanted to burn the Koran. I came down on him like crazy.
WILLIAMS: Correct. There you go."

Juan Gone - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

It is looking more and more like maybe it is a fact the left objects to a black guy on FOX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,041,096 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Admit it, you've thought the same thing getting on a plane.
Having flown in and out of London several times this year, I can tell you without a doubt that I didn't for one second think that anyone dressed in what appeared to be traditional Islamic, Sikh Catholic or Jewish apparel considered themselves to be "first and foremost" Muslims, Sikhs, Catholic, or Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
 
26,324 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Reputation: 14094
a purported internal memo from npr-

FoxNews.com - RAW DATA: NPR Internal Memo on Juan Williams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Thanks for posting. Looks like all comments should be sent to Vivian Schiller at NPR!

First interview with NPR CEO Vivian Schiller on Juan Williams firing | Radio & TV Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,041,096 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is fascinating to me how the left ignores the context of the conversation.
This leftist has not weighed in on the propriety of Williams' firing, so I haven't ignored any thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,473,224 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Allow me:
Well, actually, I hate to say this to you because I don't want to get your ego going. But I think you're right. I think, look, political correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality.

I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

Now, I remember also when the Times Square bomber was at court -- this was just last week -- he said: "the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood." I don't think there’s any way to get away from these facts.
Here is NPR's ethics code:

About NPR: Ethics Code



III. Statement of principles

Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness. We must treat the people we cover and our audience with respect.

"Unbiased" means that we separate our personal opinions - such as an individual's religious beliefs or political ideology - from the subjects we are covering. We do not approach any coverage with overt or hidden agendas.


IV. Conflicts of interest

1. Conducting ourselves in a manner that inspires confidence in us as independent and fair means avoiding actual and apparent conflicts of interest or engaging in outside activities, public comment or writing that calls into question our ability to report fairly on a subject.
Juan didn't do anything even close to what you have bolded. He didn't state his opinion about anything. He told you how he feels inside. That is not an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top