U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,018,754 times

Advertisements

Against the Dismissal of Juan Williams from National Public Radio: Schwartz Quoted in Online Report: "Muslims Speak Out Against NPR's Political Correctness" :: Center for Islamic Pluralism

While a Muslim advocacy group, the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), was instrumental in getting National Public Radio (NPR) to fire Juan Williams, some Muslims are speaking out against succumbing to the censorship of political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 PM

924 posts, read 1,382,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
YOU:
Yes they should since they didn't agree with his values and it's their company, thus their call
ME:
ACtually, not just their call, because they receive gov funding. If NPR employs a double standard in their enforcement, they are in violation. I can tell you as a regular NPR listener (I like variety in my political/cultural/societal education), NPR leans far to the left, and their hosts regularly display bias comments, violating basic journalistic principles.

Oh, Juan spoke about Muslims that consider themselves Muslims first, then Americans. He wasn't speaking about all Muslims, but I know, you ignore that part because your politics don't allow it.

You hear that distant rumbling thunder? Thats real change. The internet is a beautiful thing.
How can you tell if someone considers themself a Muslim first, American second?

Oh and I bet if Bill O'Reilly said that he feared every time he came across a group of blacks huddling together on a city street than Juan Williams would not hesitate to call him out for his stereotyping/generalizing etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,397,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
NPR is not centrist, they definitely lean to the left. Yes, he had enemies,but he was a well known liberal that is also well respected and liked by conservatives because he had the audacity to debate those with whom he disagreed - and he did it politely. He makes other liberals look bad. He broke your group think, so other libs HATED him for it.

Free market, fine. But, NPR receives taxpayer money. Non-profit, etc. YOu take taxpayer money you follow the rules they were laid out with.

Sorry, you lose on this. again.
No, you are wrong to call NPR a left leaning medium, imo. Compared to the rantings of Fox or MSNBC, you cannot definitely tell that there is a difference. The firing of JW shatters the belief of many NPR listeners that NPR is "above" all of the left wing/right wing squabbling.

Taxpayer $$ is only 2% of funding. Most of the $$ comes from individual contributions. It will be interesting to see how much income that individual affiiiates will lose because of this unforeseen eruption.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 PM

657 posts, read 2,283,000 times
Gee I don't remember this conservative outrage when Helen Thomas was forced out of her job or The Dixie Chicks were banned from radio. Nice to see you think free speech is absolute, so long as it's Muslim bashing.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,293,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You could also show your disdain by not donating for at least one year to the Nationalist Progressive's Radio.
oh believe me, that's happening too.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,458,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Against the Dismissal of Juan Williams from National Public Radio: Schwartz Quoted in Online Report: "Muslims Speak Out Against NPR's Political Correctness" :: Center for Islamic Pluralism

While a Muslim advocacy group, the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), was instrumental in getting National Public Radio (NPR) to fire Juan Williams, some Muslims are speaking out against succumbing to the censorship of political correctness.

Interesting article. I hope we see more like this.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,089,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
How can you tell if someone considers themself a Muslim first, American second?...
When someone is standing amongst other Americans and everyone else is saluting or has their hand over their heart while that person has his/her hands clasped together behind their back or in front of themselves...

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,089,462 times
Is NPR a "not for profit?" If so, that needs to change.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,382,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
When someone is standing amongst other Americans and everyone else is saluting or has their hand over their heart while that person has his/her hands clasped together behind their back or in front of themselves...
Ok and did Juan Williams see this occur at the airport?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,458,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
Gee I don't remember this conservative outrage when Helen Thomas was forced out of her job or The Dixie Chicks were banned from radio. Nice to see you think free speech is absolute, so long as it's Muslim bashing.

There are for more people than just conservatives that are outraged about this. I guess you didn't see Mr. Williams standing up for the Muslims. Are you aware of the fact that he is a liberal?

Maybe your question should be why are so many conservatives coming out in defense of a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies