Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 PM

454 posts, read 482,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I think they did-trust me I'm not a Juan Williams fan-huge mistake..
I'm not sure what he can sue for? The NPR is stating that in his contract he is not allowed to express his opinion on news shows..because he is an analyst and his feelings shouldn't be known
It's not the first time he express his views, (which I don't normally agree with), they didn't fire him before, just now.
He has been with Fox for many years, they didn't like the fact he was there. But, they can't do it now because he works in Fox too.

NPR suppose to be balanced, they were never balanced, they are a lefty organization. Had they been a private business it would have been with in their rights to fire him, but they receive tax dollars, so they can't.

P.S. they all express their views at NPR, but it is the "right" lefty views, he step out of the "right" lefty lines and got kicked out.
Not in a very professional way either.
I hope he sue their b.. and I hope they lose public funding for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conc1 View Post
It's not the first time he express his views, (which I don't normally agree with), they didn't fire him before, just now.
He has been with Fox for many years, they didn't like the fact he was there. But, they can't do it now because he works in Fox too.

NPR suppose to be balanced, they were never balanced, they are a lefty organization. Had they been a private business it would have been with in their rights to fire him, but they receive tax dollars, so they can't.

P.S. they all express their views at NPR, but it is the "right" lefty views, he step out of the "right" lefty lines and got kicked out.
Not in a very professional way either.
I hope he sue their b.. and I hope they lose public funding for it.
They are still considered private. They receive 2% of their funding from the public.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
He was on NPR because he's a liberal (but not liberal enough anymore). He's on FNC because he's one of the many liberal voices on there. I'm a conservative and hispanic and I never agreed with Mr. Williams until now. Of course the only people defending him and the first ammendment are conservatives.
That's a crock. First and foremost, I consider myself liberal and I'm angry and upset with NPR and their handling of this situation. I back Juan Williams on this 100%. Second, if you go to NPRs website you'll find numerous comments from listenters who are upset by this situation. In fact here's a direct link so you can check it out for yourself.

Juan Williams: NPR Went After Me Because 'I Appear On Fox' : The Two-Way : NPR

These blanket statements people make are so ridiculous. It's funny how people like you don't see how your lack of reasoning undermines your credibility. Get a clue.

Anyway, as soon as I get a chance I'm writing a very lengthy email to NPR showing my disapproval. These are the kinds of actions I expect from FOX and MSNBC.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
They are still considered private. They receive 2% of their funding from the public.
Well that is 2% too much.

BTW-How do they get away with the name of their station? Is it not a bit misleading?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I thought you guys thought Fox was a far-right organization? What audience could a left leaning liberal democrat pander to, on a "far-right" news station?
The audience on FOX that would agree with him about Muslims. As my DH said, what if someone else said they are uncomfortable aroud big black guys? Would that be OK to say on air?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
It is as simple as this.

Juan Williams said something. The whining Muslims who are too cowardly to speak up against the "extreme Muslims" who tarnish the Islamic faith start crying and calling Juan out.

If only the Muslims were this aggressive to the Muslims who do terrorist attacks. Why don't they call them out asap and demand an apology or whatever?

And by the way, I share the same feelings as Juan. I bet a lot of people do. NOTHING he said was wrong. When I was flying out to England and back, I was a bit worried about Muslims on the plane. Muslims, you can't blame me. Instead of getting mad at me for feeling scared, why don't you get mad at people who put this fear into our hearts?

Oh wait.......

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
That's a crock. First and foremost, I consider myself liberal and I'm angry and upset with NPR and their handling of this situation. I back Juan Williams on this 100%. Second, if you go to NPRs website you'll find numerous comments from listenters who are upset by this situation. In fact here's a direct link so you can check it out for yourself.

Juan Williams: NPR Went After Me Because 'I Appear On Fox' : The Two-Way : NPR

These blanket statements people make are so ridiculous. It's funny how people like you don't see how your lack of reasoning undermines your credibility. Get a clue.

Anyway, as soon as I get a chance I'm writing a very lengthy email to NPR showing my disapproval. These are the kinds of actions I expect from FOX and MSNBC.
You could also show your disdain by not donating for at least one year to the Nationalist Progressive's Radio.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I think they did-trust me I'm not a Juan Williams fan-huge mistake..
I'm not sure what he can sue for? The NPR is stating that in his contract he is not allowed to express his opinion on news shows..because he is an analyst and his feelings shouldn't be known
He has been expressing his opinion for years on other shows. Now he is fired for doing it? NO, this doesn't wash and IMO they will be sued.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is as simple as this.

Juan Williams said something. The whining Muslims who are too cowardly to speak up against the "extreme Muslims" who tarnish the Islamic faith start crying and calling Juan out.

If only the Muslims were this aggressive to the Muslims who do terrorist attacks. Why don't they call them out asap and demand an apology or whatever?

And by the way, I share the same feelings as Juan. I bet a lot of people do. NOTHING he said was wrong. When I was flying out to England and back, I was a bit worried about Muslims on the plane. Muslims, you can't blame me. Instead of getting mad at me for feeling scared, why don't you get mad at people who put this fear into our hearts?

Oh wait.......
Only insane people don't make themselves aware of their surroundings. If you don't asses the things around you and put them in order of importance you're just stupid (not you). He clearly dismissed those reactionary stances summarily after making the "comment" but that wasn't enough. He basically said hey, I'm human. For the self-righteous leaders of NPR to act like they don't make assessments of the things going on around them is a joke, the fired a clear and present danger, to them.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM

785 posts, read 619,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
First of all, NPR is centrist.
Secondly, JW was not liked by everyone.
As posted upthread and easily available on the web, he had many complaints lodged against him.
He was counseled in the past; continued; got fired.

I thought you guys like the free market and fire at will states.
NPR is not centrist, they definitely lean to the left. Yes, he had enemies,but he was a well known liberal that is also well respected and liked by conservatives because he had the audacity to debate those with whom he disagreed - and he did it politely. He makes other liberals look bad. He broke your group think, so other libs HATED him for it.

Free market, fine. But, NPR receives taxpayer money. Non-profit, etc. YOu take taxpayer money you follow the rules they were laid out with.

Sorry, you lose on this. again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies