Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
You should have seen the disgusting photographs shown my 10 year old child in school as Environmental Scare Tactics - Rotting Dead Birds on a Beach, Graphic Color Photos of the Devastation of Katrina, captioned an Unnatural Disaster Caused by Global Warming. This is happening in our public schools and I think half the time parents aren't even aware - until their kids start having nightmares and freaking out if their mom tries to send a juicebox in their lunch.

I agree that many parents probably aren't aware because they TRUST the school system.

Whatever happened to the days when you taught a class by relating one message to another?

If you buy a 6 pack of juice boxes for $2.99 you have 6 servings. If you buy 64 oz of juice in a glass container and pour it into 6 oz glasses how many servings do you get? How much money do you save by using glass containers?

But why teach a kid to think on their own when you can be sent a movie to show them? Maybe it's the teachers that can't think on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
I definitely feel that children should be taught how important coal is to supplying our country's energy needs, how inexpensive in terms of dollars it is to other forms of fuel.

But I also think they need to be aware of the environmental cost. Things like Centralia:
Centralia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What effects mountain top removal mining has:

Or be aware of the risks of mining such as in Martin County:
Remembering the Martin County slurry disaster « Coal Tattoo

I grew up in western Pa... I know how important coal is to local economies and how much our country depends upon it... but shouldn't the cost... the risk also be taught?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
But I also think they need to be aware of the environmental cost. Things like Centralia:
Centralia was indirectly caused by mining, it was common for these coal towns to use abandoned strip mining pits as a landfill before regulations started. In the case of Centralia and another town not far from me it caught on fire starting the mine fire. It's not the coal that burns but the gases in the porous rock surrounding the seam.

Quote:
What effects mountain top removal mining has:
Current regualtions require them to reclaim the land, I know there is controversy concerning this practice and I don't have enough first hand knowledge to judge it. I will tell you there is also a tax applied to every ton of coal a mine produced that is put towards reclaiming abandoned mines where the responsible party is long gone. Pennsylvania is one state that benefit substantially from this fund because there is so many sites.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Centralia was indirectly caused by mining, it was common for these coal towns to use abandoned strip mining pits as a landfill before regulations started. In the case of Centralia and another town not far from me it caught on fire starting the mine fire. It's not the coal that burns but the gases in the porous rock surrounding the seam.

Current regualtions require them to reclaim the land, I know there is controversy concerning this practice and I don't have enough first hand knowledge to judge it. I will tell you there is also a tax applied to every ton of coal a mine produced that is put towards reclaiming abandoned mines where the responsible party is long gone. Pennsylvania is one state that benefit substantially from this fund because there is so many sites.
Thanks for the info... Abandoned mines were a big problem when I grew up where I lived. I remember a shopping center that had the back half of its structure sink into the ground. When building a home, you did everything you could to try and find old maps that would show where the mines were. I still remember my Dad talking about that....

Are other states doing similar things?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Are other states doing similar things?
It's a federal tax and every mine pays it. It's then distributed to where it's needed most.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 PM

314 posts, read 1,036,750 times
I love how someone drops a link from Glenn Beck. and we're talking about partisan nutcases?

The story of stuff is based on factual occurrence. You guys have no problem with the positives of capitalism being taught to your kids but when the true and ugly side of capitalism is taught its indoctrination?

Climate change is also fact until the scientific consensus tells us otherwise. All evidence points toward human cause and thats what we should be teaching our kids.

Nowhere does it tell kids to fear juice boxes but its fair to let them know that they are not biodegradable.

The problem is that with an increase in awareness, our system of exploitation is in danger. Without the exploitation machine, many parents worry that their children might actually have to earn a leg up over the children of the exploited in the real-world.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Public schools need to TEACH our kids ACADEMICS. Not politics. the whole global warming thing is politics pure and simple. And you wonder why our public schools are in the atrocious state they are in

has nothing to do with the current state of the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
omg is that some crazy crap or what?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Darn, I thought that was a SNL parody almost all the way through it.

I was almost expecting a naked Will Ferrell to come out of the trees...

Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Darn, I thought that was a SNL parody almost all the way through it.

I was almost expecting a naked Will Ferrell to come out of the trees...
Yeah... some people have to be in the hospital...

I'm glad that we don't indoctrinate our kids in Central Europe like they do in Western and Eastern Europe. Anyway with all the indoctrination I didn't seen those "green" yuppies in other countries than US and UK which makes me think that there must be some genetically mental problems...
The best thing is that both US and UK are the countries with the most problems (economically and socially) in the western World while the Central Europe is Western world's economic powerhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies