Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,125,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is refreshing to see a union with some backbone stand up against a bully corporation and say HELL NO to huge cuts in their benefits! The company tried to bully the union by issuing threats to "move to Louisiana" and "move to Mexico" if the workers refused to take a 10% cut in pay, 3 days less in vacation and huge cuts in the medical and dental benefits. And the workers told them rightfully to go straight to hell. Sometimes you just got to put all the chips on the table and let the dice fall where they will.

Machinists Reject Hawker Beechcraft Offer

Oh, and the company is not LOSING money either:

The Kathryn Report: Hawker Beechcraft sales down, profit up in 2nd Quarter (http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2009/08/hawker-beechcraft-sales-down-profit-up.html - broken link)
Between a greedy, over-regulating, non-business friendly federal government, and greedy unions, soon we will not have any manufacturing in America.

Operating income fell by an even larger margin, 54.4 percent, to $39.4 million.

Most of the fall in operating income came from slower sales, but the company also took charges for layoffs and leaving a leased facility.

Looks like the company is hurting big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Most of those "fat cat Union bosses" were my RR co-workers.
They are no more living "high on the hog", than I am now?
Conservatives have been watching too many Hollywood movies, and think that all Union officials live and act Michael Corleone, in the Godfather???

Steve
we are not talking about the union stewards, but rather their bosses, and the ones above them.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,164,273 times
Well now, the REST of the story.... As a result of failing in cost cutting measures...

Good job! Stand up for yourselves, knock yourself out of a job, kill off your community with a loss of over 260 million in payroll to workers, increase your community's unemployment rate.

Unions are out of touch with reality. The want more and more and more, where there just isn't any.

County expects request for funding if Hawker Beechcraft stays | News Updates | Wichita Eagle

In brief | More Beechcraft layoffs - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/22/2344671/in-brief-more-beechcraft-layoffs.html - broken link)

Basic breakdown on the NEW contract -

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2010/10/13/05/HBC_Media_Statement_2010_Collective_Bargaining_Agr eement_Summary.source.prod_affiliate.80.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Interestingly, a lot of the nations beating the USA in manufacturing and exports, Germany, Finland etc, are far more unionized...
yes they are 'unionized', but not like american unions

they are 'unionized' in a way of 'nationaized'..they CANT demand better pay. only bennies and protection

look ar greece, and france..its 'unions' are now protesting that all the NATIONALIZED corps are having to raise the retirement age from 58 to 65

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes they are 'unionized', but not like american unions

they are 'unionized' in a way of 'nationaized'..they CANT demand better pay. only bennies and protection

look ar greece, and france..its 'unions' are now protesting that all the NATIONALIZED corps are having to raise the retirement age from 58 to 65
Funny that...I had no idea stuff like Mercedes, IKEA, Nokia, Proteus, Phillips etc was nationalized I think that could be because they are not nationalized. Did you think Germany became the worlds biggest exporter by nationalizing industries?

And how did their workers get such massive wages if they are not allowed to demand wages or negotiate for them? Could that be because everything you wrote is wrong, maybe?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM

624 posts, read 1,120,812 times
Quote:
Funny that...I had no idea stuff like Mercedes, IKEA, Nokia, Proteus, Phillips etc was nationalized I think that could be because they are not nationalized. Did you think Germany became the worlds biggest exporter by nationalizing industries?

And how did their workers get such massive wages if they are not allowed to demand wages or negotiate for them? Could that be because everything you wrote is wrong, maybe?
You don't understand how unions work in Germany (totally different than in US). In Germany an Union won't request a bigger salary just because the company has big profits! It has to be an equilibrium!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
You don't understand how unions work in Germany (totally different than in US). In Germany an Union won't request a bigger salary just because the company has big profits! It has to be an equilibrium!
Indeed. I believe I wrote a post a few pages back on how unions work differently in Europe.

My point here was that this does not mean that there is any nationalization involved. The unions work different, and take a more long-term view of what benefits their members. Germany, Scandinavia...far, far higher rates of unionization, and do much better economically.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM

624 posts, read 1,120,812 times
Quote:
Indeed. I believe I wrote a post a few pages back on how unions work differently in Europe.

My point here was that this does not mean that there is any nationalization involved. The unions work different, and take a more long-term view of what benefits their members. Germany, Scandinavia...far, far higher rates of unionization, and do much better economically.
Not in all the Europe. In France I think are more like in US than like in Germany. Eastern Europe was screwed by the unions after the eastern block collapsed! I work for a German company and the Union didn't requested absurd raises since the recession even if the company had big profits (but those profits will be used in case of emergency).

Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is refreshing to see a union with some backbone stand up against a bully corporation and say HELL NO to huge cuts in their benefits! The company tried to bully the union by issuing threats to "move to Louisiana" and "move to Mexico" if the workers refused to take a 10% cut in pay, 3 days less in vacation and huge cuts in the medical and dental benefits. And the workers told them rightfully to go straight to hell. Sometimes you just got to put all the chips on the table and let the dice fall where they will.

Machinists Reject Hawker Beechcraft Offer

Oh, and the company is not LOSING money either:

The Kathryn Report: Hawker Beechcraft sales down, profit up in 2nd Quarter (http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2009/08/hawker-beechcraft-sales-down-profit-up.html - broken link)

Great!

I'll start squirreling away money now so I can pick up bargains from the on-line auction.

The UAW was responsible for this one...