Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

I don't watch TV any more, but I'm curious.....'cuz I'm reading things like this. I used to watch NPR though, 'cuz they actually did news that was more than just sound bites about kittens and random acts of violence.

In response to the firing, South Carolina Republican U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint announced Friday that he will introduce legislation to end federal funding for public radio and television.
"These programs should be able to find a way to stand on their own," he said in a statement. "With record debt and unemployment, there's simply no reason to force taxpayers to subsidize a liberal programming they disagree with."

NPR chief: Sorry for how firing handled - Entertainment - Television - TODAYshow.com

All in response to what a man said about Muslims scaring him on a plane.
I'm sure If I said, "I feel weird when I'm getting cash out of the ATM and a black man is behind me 'cuz you know, I am scared of black people cuz they have been known to rob people." and that would've been just as A-OK......

Not.

Muslim isn't a race. So he's correct. He's not a racist. He displayed his bigotry, though. I guess that makes him not a liberal. Or something. CUT THE FUNDING NOW or EMBRACE THE MUSLIM FEAR. Gimme a break.

....always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself..
- Richard Nixon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
NPR is heavy on Education. To the GOP, that is a liberal bias.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I don't watch TV any more, but I'm curious.....'cuz I'm reading things like this. I used to watch NPR though, 'cuz they actually did news that was more than just sound bites about kittens and random acts of violence.

In response to the firing, South Carolina Republican U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint announced Friday that he will introduce legislation to end federal funding for public radio and television.
"These programs should be able to find a way to stand on their own," he said in a statement. "With record debt and unemployment, there's simply no reason to force taxpayers to subsidize a liberal programming they disagree with."

NPR chief: Sorry for how firing handled - Entertainment - Television - TODAYshow.com

I'm sure If I said, "I feel weird when I'm getting cash out of the ATM and a black man is behind me 'cuz you know, I am scared of black people cuz they have been known to rob people." and that would've been just as A-OK......

Not.

Muslim isn't a race. So he's correct. He's not a racist. He displayed his bigotry, though. I guess that makes him not a liberal. Or something. CUT THE FUNDING NOW or EMBRACE THE MUSLIM FEAR. Gimme a break.

....always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself..
- Richard Nixon; from his resignation speech.
NPR is National Public Radio. You can turn on your radio and listen to it. You are confused with PBS. That's on television.

Anyhow...

You're not a public figure, so you can say whatever you want. If he had made the comment about black people he would have been fired for that as well. NPR has a code of ethics and according to them he violated them. Nothing more, or less. Period.

I think he's entitled to his opinion, and frankly he didn't say anything that was out of line with the question he was asked. You should find a clip of it on YouTube and see for yourself what he said.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
I say we take some liberals from NPR, cover them in bling and drop em in the middle of Bed-stuy with a heart rate monitor. We'll see how "evolved" and "tolerant" they are.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Watching Meet the Press this past Sunday, conservative and former Bush speech writer David Frum claimed that NPR was pretty middle of the road and one of the better news outlets. I figured folks will see it from where they stand, so if they are from the right, they will see NPR as some commie pinko uber liberal indoctrination outlet and those on the left will staunchly defend it as awesome. *shrugs* you know how it goes around these parts.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I find NPR to be less biased than both the 'liberal' and 'conservative' radio/tv shows that are currently out there. I think it's perceived to be more liberal because the folks on there tend to talk out their differences and debate calmly as opposed to yelling and screaming. I've also noticed that they use 'bigger words', if you will and generally speaking the higher educated seem to always be put in the liberal category, whether or not they really are.

Personally, I like NPR... I'm not a big fan of yelling and screaming to get one's point across.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Not.

- Richard Nixon

Fact is, of the terrorist events in the past 10 years on airplanes....the vast majority of the bad guys have been muslims. Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

Sorry if that bugs you.

Firing Juan Williams for it CLEARLY shows a tone of political correctness and liberal bias--as they are the ones refusing to believe that terrorists tend to be muslims.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I say we take some liberals from NPR, cover them in bling and drop em in the middle of Bed-stuy with a heart rate monitor. We'll see how "evolved" and "tolerant" they are.
I'd imagine about as evolved and tolerant as a conservative.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'd imagine about as evolved and tolerant as a conservative.
Or a politically correct, post-modernist lefty?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
I personally think it has gotten more balanced - and this is a Republican talking. I know many who have gotten a bad taste from past programming and still seem to throw the liberal accusations at NPR but I just don't see it as a whole or even as a majority. Regardless, I think we all have brains and can truly decide what viewpoints we believe and choose to ignore. I like listening to radio that doesn't always take my side. It can be useful to see things from both sides and not have viewpoints jammed down your throat like with Hannity for example. I can't stand the guy and hate that people associate him with all Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies