Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Turkey has tried to subordinate religion to the state, but the West's pathetic democracy-or-else fetish isn't helping them any (or Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, etc.)

After Turkey, Saddam Hussein's Ba'athist regime in Iraq was the next closest thing there was to a secular government in a Muslim country. But as our Israeli puppet-masters dictate our foreign policy, he had to go too.
Saddam's rule was just flat-out totalitarian. I will take democracy over that any day. As for Turkey, they are not free to worship as they see fit as all other religions are banned. That government is under moderate Islamic control when it comes to it's domestic issues, but there is a significant push being made by more conservative & fundamentalist clerics to sway this to a more Islamic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Nobody should ever wonder why every time some edict comes out from Osama Bin Laden or one of his lackeys no opposing word comes from the "so-called good" Muslims. It's done on purpose.

They are all in collusion, and unequivocally support each other.

I can imagine a world without Muslims. A world of peace.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Always so funny to see atheists who think they know anything of Christian beliefs. A sky spirit would be closer to Native American Indian beliefs than Christian ones. Go make fun of them for a while, if it’s not a violation of your PC playbook.
LOL @ PC playbook!

Sweetheart, I'm not an atheist.

My point, why all the religion bashing. Why would you think your religion is better.

It doesn't matter, if cows rape boys more than priest. Priest are raping boys. Before you start talking about a temple, mosque or whatever. How about you clean up the catholic church.

Pay no mind to the priest behind the curtain. What about Islam.

Yeah, really!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Was it Timothy McVeigh or Timothy McVeigh Muhammad.

Not sure.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Nobody should ever wonder why every time some edict comes out from Osama Bin Laden or one of his lackeys no opposing word comes from the "so-called good" Muslims. It's done on purpose.

They are all in collusion, and unequivocally support each other.

I can imagine a world without Muslims. A world of peace.
You didn't even read the original OP, did you? Well, thanks for a well thought out argument..

You know what the problem is with people of your ilk? I have no reason to support Islam or any outdated system of belief rooted in Middle Eastern superstitions---you know genies, magical Jewish carpenters, etc... Yet I do have Muslim friends(even possibly some future inlaws) and I've travelled to Muslim countries and been very warmly recieved for the most part. So everytime I see a poster on this forum calling all Muslims evil, it's a demonic cult, yadda yadda yadda--I feel compelled to speak out for the people of that culture if not the stupid religion. Because much of the Muslim world is culturally brought up in the faith, yet there are differing degrees of beliefs. But it always turns into an attack on all 1.6 billion people of a variety of cultures and a religion that is going nowhere--instead of making the distinction between the scumbag extremists(who are mostly killing and persecuting other Muslims).

But I guess every generation needs a bogeyman...

Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Saddam's rule was just flat-out totalitarian. I will take democracy over that any day. As for Turkey, they are not free to worship as they see fit as all other religions are banned.
Do you people ever check anything at all you hear?

Article 24 Freedom of Religion and Conscience
(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of conscience, religious belief and conviction.
(2) Acts of worship, religious services, and ceremonies shall be conducted freely, provided that they do not violate the provisions of Article 14.
(3) No one shall be compelled to worship, or to participate in religious ceremonies and rites, to reveal religious beliefs and convictions, or be blamed or accused because of his religious beliefs and convictions.
(4) Education and instruction in religion and ethics shall be conducted under state supervision and control. Instruction in religious culture and moral education shall be compulsory in the curricula of primary and secondary schools. Other religious education and instruction shall be subject to the individual's own desire, and in the case of minors, to the request of their legal representatives.
(5) No one shall be allowed to exploit or abuse religion or religious feelings, or things held sacred by religion, in any manner whatsoever, for the purpose of personal or political influence, or for even partially basing the fundamental, social, economic, political, and legal order of the state on religious tenets.

Constitution of the Republic of Turkey (1982)

Quote:
That government is under moderate Islamic control when it comes to it's domestic issues, but there is a significant push being made by more conservative & fundamentalist clerics to sway this to a more Islamic state.
Yes there certainly is, and we ought to encourage the secular military to handle that problem as they please, rather than forcing Islamist terror-democracy on Turkey the way we did in Iraq.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You didn't even read the original OP, did you? Well, thanks for a well thought out argument..

You know what the problem is with people of your ilk? I have no reason to support Islam or any outdated system of belief rooted in Middle Eastern superstitions---you know genies, magical Jewish carpenters, etc... Yet I do have Muslim friends(even possibly some future inlaws) and I've travelled to Muslim countries and been very warmly recieved for the most part. So everytime I see a poster on this forum calling all Muslims evil, it's a demonic cult, yadda yadda yadda--I feel compelled to speak out for the people of that culture if not the stupid religion. Because much of the Muslim world is culturally brought up in the faith, yet there are differing degrees of beliefs. But it always turns into an attack on all 1.6 billion people of a variety of cultures and a religion that is going nowhere--instead of making the distinction between the scumbag extremists(who are mostly killing and persecuting other Muslims).

But I guess every generation needs a bogeyman...
I read the article. And I posted my opinion.

Frankly I couldn't care less what you think of my post.

I don't distinguish between the "so-called radicals" and the "so called peace loving ones" because in my opinion they're all cut from exactly the same cloth.

My comment stands as is unaltered in content and position.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Turkey has tried to subordinate religion to the state, but the West's pathetic democracy-or-else fetish isn't helping them any (or Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, etc.)

After Turkey, Saddam Hussein's Ba'athist regime in Iraq was the next closest thing there was to a secular government in a Muslim country. But as our Israeli puppet-masters dictate our foreign policy, he had to go too.
Agree that we should not be pushing Democracy on them UNLESS we dictate their constitutions as we did with Japan and scrub all instances of Islam from the government. Instead we allow them to create constituions that enshrine Sharia as the law of the land and that no law can be contrary to Islam.
I disagree about the Israeli puppet-masters. You've been reading too much conspiricy theory if you believe that. If there reallt were Israeli puppet-masters there would be a couple of really big holes in Iran now, instead of a nuclear weapons program going full speed ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Islam is a sham cult which should be banned as being a destructive force on the planet and needs to be outlawed on every corner of the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Saddam's rule was just flat-out totalitarian. I will take democracy over that any day.
I wouldn't. Democracy just means majority rule. Without acknowlegement of inalienable rights such as those enshrined in our constitution Democracy can be just as brutal as any other despot. The French Revolution was a majority rule event. I wouldn't have wanted to be caught up in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
LOL @ PC playbook!

Sweetheart, I'm not an atheist.

My point, why all the religion bashing. Why would you think your religion is better.

It doesn't matter, if cows rape boys more than priest. Priest are raping boys. Before you start talking about a temple, mosque or whatever. How about you clean up the catholic church.

Pay no mind to the priest behind the curtain. What about Islam.

Yeah, really!
"Sweetheart", I'm not Roman Catholic. I do believe that stories of that kind in the Roman Catholic Church are over emphesized and used by the Christophobes to bash Christianity.
I DO believe priests should be allowed to marry and that would solve a lot of the problems. The pope's move to ban priest marriage was a money grab, plain and simple. At the time most priests were younger sons of nobles. They were peopel who stood to inherit nothing because the oldest son got it all. Well, you can't have a nobleman's sone begging in the streets so the priesthood became the perfect place for them.
Of course, sometimes those elder sons died before they had children and then the younger son, now a priest was very wealthy. If they had no sons they naturally would end up giving it all to the church. Money grab, plain and simple. Again, I'm not Roman Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Was it Timothy McVeigh or Timothy McVeigh Muhammad.

Not sure.
Just so we're clear here -- McVeigh was NOT a Christian. He was agnostic and said "Science is my religion".

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Do you people ever check anything at all you hear?

Article 24 Freedom of Religion and Conscience
(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of conscience, religious belief and conviction.
(2) Acts of worship, religious services, and ceremonies shall be conducted freely, provided that they do not violate the provisions of Article 14.
(3) No one shall be compelled to worship, or to participate in religious ceremonies and rites, to reveal religious beliefs and convictions, or be blamed or accused because of his religious beliefs and convictions.
(4) Education and instruction in religion and ethics shall be conducted under state supervision and control. Instruction in religious culture and moral education shall be compulsory in the curricula of primary and secondary schools. Other religious education and instruction shall be subject to the individual's own desire, and in the case of minors, to the request of their legal representatives.
(5) No one shall be allowed to exploit or abuse religion or religious feelings, or things held sacred by religion, in any manner whatsoever, for the purpose of personal or political influence, or for even partially basing the fundamental, social, economic, political, and legal order of the state on religious tenets.

Constitution of the Republic of Turkey (1982)

Yes there certainly is, and we ought to encourage the secular military to handle that problem as they please, rather than forcing Islamist terror-democracy on Turkey the way we did in Iraq.
My bad. I was thinking Turkmenistan when I was reading Turkey. Turkmenistan is taking small steps to try to enforce its constitution, but local governments are enforcing bans on all other religions.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

"Saddam's rule was just flat-out totalitarian. I will take democracy over that any day."

"I wouldn't. Democracy just means majority rule. Without acknowlegement of inalienable rights such as those enshrined in our constitution Democracy can be just as brutal as any other despot. The French Revolution was a majority rule event. I wouldn't have wanted to be caught up in that."

Democracy is still the general term used for our Representative Republic. We don't need to get that technical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies