U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,741,449 times

Advertisements

My health insurer is Anthem (formerly Blue Cross). I received in the mail today a notice about how the health care reform law will change my policy. The big news was "No lifetime dollar limits or maximums." What does this mean? I turned to the Googler to find out.

Health care reform law removes lifetime dollar limits on medical insurance - National Health Care | Examiner.com
Until passage of the new law many health insurance policies had lifetime limits. This is particularly true of individual plans. A lifetime limit was placed on the policy and if the policy holder exceeded that limit, they basically ran out of insurance.

This would usually result because of a catastrophic illness.
If the policy holder exceeded the lifetime limit, they would get no further coverage from their health insurance plan and probably would not be able to get another policy with another company because of pre-existing condition limitations.

Many individual plans had lifetime maximums in the million dollar range. Often a rider adding more coverage could be purchased.

The biggest danger to consumers were the so-called limited liability plans which had very low lifetime maximums and even limitations on the amount of coverage for a particular medical service. Surgery, for instance, might be limited to $25,000 or $50,000.

The new law eliminates any lifetime dollar limit on medical plans.
This is now part of your insurance too. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,017,558 times
Oh, how horrible! Thank goodness Republicans will return us to the days when insurance companies could limit our benefits or cancel our policies at any time!

Vote for big business and even greater disparities in wealth! Vote for Republicans and screw average Americans!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM

188 posts, read 170,586 times
I have Anthem - my rates went up 38.4% this year. I guess I'm paying for my cap going from $5,000,000 to unlimited

Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM

39,466 posts, read 40,770,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is now part of your insurance too. What do you think?
I think it should be left up to the consumer to pay for what they can afford. This is going to raise rates across the board and many people can't afford it now.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,677,930 times
It's good for me

Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think it should be left up to the consumer to pay for what they can afford. This is going to raise rates across the board and many people can't afford it now.
And then when the consumer has a catastrophic illness and loses his/her coverage, the taxpayers will pick up his/her care, via medicaid. That is what happens now.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM

22,241 posts, read 15,307,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ins premiums are going to continue to go up. That is a fact that you can count on. The rate of increase will slow down as time goes by. That is the plan. The reason for the mandate, is to provide a huge pool of customers, all paying into the Ins Cos. The Ins Cos can keep the rate of premium increases lower because of such large pools. The amount of premium that an individual of family will have to pay, will vary depending on their income. There will be assistance for premiums. The lower your income, the greater the premium assistance, varying up to $88k of income. Above $88k, you will pay the full premium, but that premium will be lower than it would otherwise be, due to the aforementioned mandate.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,333,179 times
I wish they would have mandated limousine service to and from doctor appointments, and pay for a nice lunch afterwards. No wait, I wouldn't want to pay for that through my insurance carrier. Just like I don't want insurance for the first few thousand of annual expense either--but they will make me buy it.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM

1,064 posts, read 889,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ins premiums are going to continue to go up. That is a fact that you can count on. The rate of increase will slow down as time goes by. That is the plan. The reason for the mandate, is to provide a huge pool of customers, all paying into the Ins Cos. The Ins Cos can keep the rate of premium increases lower because of such large pools. The amount of premium that an individual of family will have to pay, will vary depending on their income. There will be assistance for premiums. The lower your income, the greater the premium assistance, varying up to $88k of income. Above $88k, you will pay the full premium, but that premium will be lower than it would otherwise be, due to the aforementioned mandate.
And do you a have link that shows that premiums under Obamacare will rise more slowly than without it? Because Mass. has a mandate as well, and it's put no brakes on the cost of premiums. Actually, they're now the most expensive in the country.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,213,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
And do you a have link that shows that premiums under Obamacare will rise more slowly than without it? Because Mass. has a mandate as well, and it's put no brakes on the cost of premiums. Actually, they're now the most expensive in the country.
That's just the liberal talking point. There's no way to prove his assertion, so it's easy to throw out there and claim it to be true. Kind of like the stimulus "created or saved" X number of jobs. Liberals like to toss stats around that have NO way of being verified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or