Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
...Mostly it's used as an epithet against educated liberal people...
You forgot the words rich and hypocritical.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Throughout this forum I see the term Liberal Elite thrown around quite a bit from those who aren't liberal. Now I just have to ask, for clarification sake, what does it mean to be an Elite Liberal? I believe I'm liberal, but I hardly see myself as "Elite" whatever that may mean. Just looking for some clarification here.
Are you sure it's not effete liberal? Ha-ha, just kidding.

An elite liberal sits on Mount Olympus (usually that means a large city), a college campus or their high horse and while looking down their nose, tells the rest of us we're too dumb to know what's good for us, how enlightened they are and why what they want is best for everybody. They frequently do self-congratulatory acts and hope people will notice how special, smart and wonderful they are and in case you miss it, they wear it on their clothing or emblazon it on their vehicles or start threads about intelligence to remind you. The "elite" part is to distinguish them from run of the mill liberals that want the elite liberals to take care of them.

That's my definition and I'm sticking with it.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The acctual denizines infesting Mount Olympus are not Liberal Intellectuals but are Upper Class Financiers and Wealthy that try to keep us ignorant so they can fleece us more efficiently.

I don't want the government to take care of me. I want it to stop taking care of them!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Throughout this forum I see the term Liberal Elite thrown around quite a bit from those who aren't liberal. Now I just have to ask, for clarification sake, what does it mean to be an Elite Liberal? I believe I'm liberal, but I hardly see myself as "Elite" whatever that may mean. Just looking for some clarification here.

It is probably similar to being "high" all the time.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:

Look to the "educated" in the WH for your answer. They are prime examples.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

An elite liberal sits on Mount Olympus (usually that means a large city), a college campus or their high horse and while looking down their nose, tells the rest of us we're too dumb to know what's good for us, how enlightened they are and why what they want is best for everybody. They frequently do self-congratulatory acts and hope people will notice how special, smart and wonderful they are and in case you miss it, they wear it on their clothing or emblazon it on their vehicles or start threads about intelligence to remind you. The "elite" part is to distinguish them from run of the mill liberals that want the elite liberals to take care of them.

I could not have said it better!! Thank you!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default ELs ignore the 'blue dress evidence'

It means you can reverse your statements and not worry about explaining your transition to the direct opposite view. Obama has so many such blatant, beyond interpretation proclaimations. 'I will not pass healthcare by nuclear option because I wouldn't be able to govern'

An elite liberal will rest assured the news media will surpress and spin the news to be in their favor.

An elite liberal, like Obama, can tell the spanish voters to "vote to punish their enemies" during the same week he promises to work across the aisle.

An elite liberal can say, " We have to pass it to see what's in it".

An elite electorate is absolutely blind to their political heros despite the "blue Dress evidence" hanging in the front window.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I'm a liberal, and i pay it no mind. It's just one of those dumb catchwords that caught on from conservative talk radio that everyone takes as gospel because it's been said enough times. I've asked many-a-conservative that i've caught using the term and almost to a man, NONE of them could really define what the hell it means with any clarity.

Elite? LOL...if you want to think of me as elite, then fine. I'll take the promotion.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I should have mentioned that they can be Democrats or Republicans.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
'Elite Liberal'? - that's an oxymoron.

'Elite Conservative'? - Use Bush or Cheney as your prototype
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies