Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times

Advertisements

The only reason I ask is because I see statements like these:

"Conservatives don't care about the poor."
"Conservatives will reduce revenue to the government with these tax cuts. How will we pay for it?"
"Conservatives don't want to care for the elderly."
"Conservatives aren't compassionate."

I think it's very simplistic and easy to say "of course the government should provide things for the less fortunate!" It's a very basic human emotion and there is very little deep thought required to come to this conclusion.

I sometimes think that fiscally conservative ideals are too abstract and difficult for many to understand, especially without a solid knowledge base of World history and knowledge of the constitution, and maybe some experience in business. How could the government actually do more good by not helping? How could it possibly make sense to not provide the most basic needs for everyone? Why should I trust less regulation and lower taxes to create jobs when I can actually see and count when the government creates a job?

When I start asking these questions and put myself in the shoes of the average American, I can see how people choose the more simplistic route of looking to the government for answers. While the conservative solution may very well be superior, it doesn't always seem that way on the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I think the lack of interest in this topic pretty much answers my question.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Fiscal conservatismisnot too difficult for the average American to understand. Most see it as a means of providing for the existing wealth at the expense of everyone else. Fiscal conservatism is a way of forcing everyone to participate in the private economy even if the tasks can be provided at a lower cost, particularly by the less wealthy, by the government. Fiscal conservatism is a way of funding wars by borrowing the money from the beneficiaries of the war instead of taxing them to pay for their abortive Empire.

Many people understand Fiscal conservatism but want no part of it because it costs them instead of helping them.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
no..it is actually quite simple..If you don't have it...don't spend it...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
And if you do have it don't gamble it away like the mortgage companies and big bankers.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Financial education is something which is severely lacking in the American society. Just look at the total debt the average American has. People are selfish in nature, and if they can vote benefits to themselves (social welfare programs) they will, even at the expense of the long-term economic sustainability of this country. People on some level understand fiscal conservatism, but the average person is simply too selfish to care. They want the government to take care of them and would rather make future generations suffer with debt than work harder to take care of themselves.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Is fiscal conservatism too complicated for the average American?
What is your definition of fiscal conservatism?

At it's core the traditional definition is to run a balanced budget. This can be done by reducing spending (including military spending) and/or increasing taxes. It is not necessarily a right/left divide and does not exclude safety net programs - Canadians have had fiscally conservative governments that balance budgets.

The current tea party/Republican crowd mix in social conservatism and believe in a one sided fiscal conservatism - trickle down economics (reduce taxes on the wealthy), cut back on safety net programs, and a strong national defense (increase military spending). This aligns with GregW's "providing for the existing wealth at the expense of everyone else."

Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
And if you do have it don't gamble it away like the mortgage companies and big bankers.
why not..people who have earned their money have a right to spend it however they want..how about the government forcing the banks to lend to people who can't even afford to pay rent let alone run a house...or ACORN protesting in front of the homes of bankers to force them to lend to minorities...give me a break...the story is not one sided...there is a ton of blame to go around..including people who took out loans that they knew they could not pay back... you people need to change the rhetoric..it is getting really tired...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Financial education is something which is severely lacking in the American society. Just look at the total debt the average American has. People are selfish in nature, and if they can vote benefits to themselves (social welfare programs) they will, even at the expense of the long-term economic sustainability of this country. People on some level understand fiscal conservatism, but the average person is simply too selfish to care. They want the government to take care of them and would rather make future generations suffer with debt than work harder to take care of themselves.
Your point is encapsulated by a bumper sticker I saw on a car several years ago: "I'm spending my grandchildren's inheritance." I'm sure it was meant to be funny but it accurately reflects the attitude of many that take no responsibility for the next generation. It's the "Me Generation" in spades. And government fosters that attitude by promising to always be there to pick up the pieces when our reckless behavior causes a crack up. The housing bubble is a prime example. The government, through Fannie and Freddie, assured banks and borrowers that there would be no untoward consequences for the bad loans that were being made because Uncle Sam would guarantee the loans. When you subsidize bad behavior you get more of it.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
no..it is actually quite simple..If you don't have it...don't spend it...
That is a great lesson for some of the hedge funds, AIG and the investment banks that leveraged far beyond their means and in the end could not pay it back without assistance from the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies