Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is nothing free about it. Employers and employees alike usually contribute. I've never heard of an employer offering free health care coverage.
It did used to be free.

Way back in the dark ages when you paid 80/20 and usually only had coverage for hospital bills..call it Major Medical.

I'd say right before the HMO's came about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I think about this quite often and always wonder why it's their responsibility to pay for your health care? You work for them, they pay you for that work; they don't pay for your rent/mortgage, car, food or credit cards, so why is it their responsibility to pay for your health care? I honestly don't get it. Thanks
That's a good question.

That all started when FDR froze all wages and prices. In order to attract good candidates for employment, employers were left with few options, since they could not offer higher wages. They started offering benefits.

One of those benefits was catastrophic health care coverage. The "health insurance" was expanded to cover emergency room visits in the 1950s, and then around 1960-61 the coverage expanded to include pregnancy/child-birth. Around 1978-79 the coverage began to expand to cover regular visits to the doctor's office.

Employers never really wanted it and they kind of got stuck with it. They've been looking to get from under it for a long time, and Obamacare will give them the excuse to dump "health insurance" benefits.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It did used to be free.

Way back in the dark ages when you paid 80/20 and usually only had coverage for hospital bills..call it Major Medical.

I'd say right before the HMO's came about.
Yea...that's true. But that's certainly not true today. My dad had the old 80/20, or some variation of it back in the day. Definitely Rolls Royce insurance. Those days are long gone.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
I think about this quite often and always wonder why it's their responsibility to pay for your health care? You work for them, they pay you for that work; they don't pay for your rent/mortgage, car, food or credit cards, so why is it their responsibility to pay for your health care? I honestly don't get it. Thanks
Making the point for single payer. Take the onus off the employer, all he would be ressponsible for is the payroll deduction to Medicare. That's one of the reasons European Countries beat us in competition

Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Because they offered it to me as part of the package that they would pay me in order to get me to work for them. When I worked for the cable company they gave me free cable, internet, and phone service.

My company also gives me a phone. Some companies give their employees use of a car. Does that mean the government should now provide that for everyone?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:

I'd like to ask why I am denied getting my own health care outside of a company group plan, and if I could the price triples or quadruples. Thr answer to why I can't could be because I have a history of melanoma and a company should be free to deny the risky, however where does that leave those people?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That all started when FDR froze all wages and prices. In order to attract good candidates for employment,
employers were left with few options, since they could not offer higher wages. They started offering benefits.

Employers never really wanted it and they kind of got stuck with it. They've been looking to get from under it for a long time,
and Obamacare will give them the excuse to dump "health insurance" benefits.
So Obama is undoing what FDR did? Hmm, interesting...

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's one of the reasons European Countries beat us in competition
The competition in what?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
because if they don't i'll just go to one that does.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Historically they provide health care as a part of the benefits to attract employees and keep them. In this day and age, the need for enticement to attract and keep employees, is significantly lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies