Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many professionals who are raising a family simply won't take a job that doesn't provide insurance (given a choice of jobs, of course).

Is the employer responsible for providing insurance? No, but if s/he doesn't, the wages better be higher to compensate. Employers can get better rates for a group than an individual can, as well.
That's fair, I just don't agree with the demonization of companies that don't offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Making the point for single payer. Take the onus off the employer, all he would be ressponsible for is the payroll deduction to Medicare. That's one of the reasons European Countries beat us in competition
You mean the same European countries that have been so brain washed with the entitlement mentality that they strike at the drop of a hat, even though their respective countries are going broke; those European countries?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I agree, but so often we here leftists deride companies that choose not to pay for their employees responsibility. Why don't they demand that employers pay for food and shelter, those are more important than health care?
And I, in turn, agree with you.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
That's fair, I just don't agree with the demonization of companies that don't offer it.
There is no universal demonization of companies that don't offer it...just against the companies that can afford it and don't offer it.

And why is everyone so touchy about critisizing companies? What...they're angels all of a sudden? Companies don't do wrong? Seems to me that companies and corporations are doing just fine. They aren't so quick to come to your defense, so why are you coming to theirs so zealously?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
I think about this quite often and always wonder why it's their responsibility to pay for your health care? You work for them, they pay you for that work; they don't pay for your rent/mortgage, car, food or credit cards, so why is it their responsibility to pay for your health care? I honestly don't get it. Thanks
Because its worked in as part of the compensation I agreed to and they agreed to when I was hired...

Its really that simple.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You aren't denied it...you just can't likely afford it?

In 2007 when I sold my house and left my area to a new one, I took a break in life and didn't work for 6 months and traveled and relaxed. I called up at least 15 insurance companies to buy my own health insurance in the mean time and all said denied after I said I had a melanoma. There was no option from them for payment it was just a big NO from them.

Actually the Cobra system , said at first my payment would be 4 times what it was through my former group plan, which is a insane amount. Seriously a person making 40k a year is going to be able to pay $600 or $700 a month for individual insurance, when insurance is a 3rd of someone's take home pay? I guess they could, if that is all they work for, is to pay a insurance premium. But then even, they later told me Cobra was not a option since I left the tri-county area.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I work for a foreign company. Although I am assigend to the US and am a US citizen, they provide 100% of my health care cost because the workers at corporate are covered under the universal health care system. They don;t pay any family coverage but 100% of the premiums for health care for the employee.

Because of that, they are very open about what it cost them to provide the insurance. I know what the billed premiums are for me and I got to say, based on what I'm hearing american workers claim they are paying for their share of health care premiums, i don;t think half the employers are really subsidizing anything. My full coverage billed to my employer is about a thrid kess than what I;m hearing other employess say they are paying for "company provided subsidized" health care for same coverage by the same insurance provider. I would not be suprised if many american workkers are paying 100% of the cost and employers are just claiming they are paying some of it.

We bought a couple of smaller amaerican companies a number of years ago and like many company, they were crying high medical cost, especially for retirees. When we got a chance to look at the figures and reports, executives and high level managers of those companiese their medical cost as retirment or severance packages accounted for 75% of the cost. For every dollar spent on current workers and labor retiress, almost 3 dollars were spent on executive health care. the regular employees get the basic retiress health package but those executives were getting free maximum coverage for family as well and it covered everything including plastic surgury and botox. Our parent company nixed that as a condition of the sale and allowed them to go into bankrupcy so they could buy the company and dump executive packages. Those companies were profitable once that was taken care of.

I do not beleive that most US companies are really spending as much as they claim in worker health insurance. bet if they had to break retiree and worker health insurance out by class of employee, those old bosses and the diamond plated packages they gave themself would be the biggest drain.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no universal demonization of companies that don't offer it...just against the companies that can afford it and don't offer it.

And why is everyone so touchy about critisizing companies? What...they're angels all of a sudden? Companies don't do wrong? Seems to me that companies and corporations are doing just fine. They aren't so quick to come to your defense, so why are you coming to theirs so zealously?
I'm not against criticizing companies, in fact, I''m all for it. I guess we just disagree on what a company should be criticized for. I do not believe that a company should pay for my insurance, I'd rather have a raise and decide what to do with the money.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
You mean the same European countries that have been so brain washed with the entitlement mentality that they strike at the drop of a hat, even though their respective countries are going broke; those European countries?
Europeans don't strike at the drop of a hat, but they will however take to the streets to protect their way of life...as they should. They aren't so quick to give it all away like this other country i know.

Besides, it's their countries and their continent. Who are we to say that what they're doing is wrong for them? I frankly don't see how that's any of our business. Hell, we can't even fix our own problems here without bickering.

And brainwashed? You kidding? There are whole sections of this country that think abortion is the most pressing issue in America. LOL...talk about brainwashing! Any country that spends 700 billion dollars a year on defense and drops 3 trillion on unwinnable wars hardly has room to talk.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Because its worked in as part of the compensation I agreed to and they agreed to when I was hired...

Its really that simple.
Unless you have a contract that states they will provide it, they do not have to. There are many Companies that will provide it, even without a contract, because they genuinely care for their employees or happen to be in a situation where competition requires it. "But the times, they are a changing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies