Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM

565 posts, read 485,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah, I've lived with a lot too.

I don't think they're totally instinctual. Do you think if the dog paddles his feet while in sleep it's much different than a dream of a human? How about when they tuck their tail when they've done something they know was not called for by discipline?

I don't think they could create nuclear bombs, and such, but they're not totally dependent on instincts alone.

If you put the same concepts that we use to scrutinize humans that you do dogs, then I can't see how anyone could come to a conclusion that PBs are fundamental killers just looking for a prime time to rip your throat out.

It's not like they're lions or tigers or bears, oh my! They were literally breed through thousands of years with humans to get to where they are now. They're not fundamental killers. They might have been when they're wolf ancestors were first domesticated.
I agree with everything you say here, but when a PB attacks you can't stop him, there is nothing you can do. They have most unfortunately been bred to be fighters in those horrendous games that people enjoyed in our recent past.
I don’t dislike them, I just know they are dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I googled a bit and found that only 12 people on average are killed by dogs each year (just dogs, not just APBTs)....and over 650 are killed by horses. Is anyone advocating the banning of certain horses (specifically Arabians.... had a bitter mare take a good chunk out of my shoulder a long time ago)??

Yes, I have a pit bull. She is an AMAZING wonderful dog who gets beat up by a pug on a regular basis... and takes it like a champ.

ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - ATTS Breed Statistics - page 1 (http://www.atts.org/stats1.html - broken link)

And check those out.... the APBT beats out many other well known 'safe' breeds in temperament testing. Very interesting.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
There is no breed that's called an attack breed. That's the MSM for you. Dogs can be bred for guarding and protection. But there is no such thing as an attack breed. There is a difference.
Try telling that to your insurance company if you own a home.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
The parents didn't want the child. That's obvious.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I googled a bit and found that only 12 people on average are killed by dogs each year (just dogs, not just APBTs)....and over 650 are killed by horses. Is anyone advocating the banning of certain horses (specifically Arabians.... had a bitter mare take a good chunk out of my shoulder a long time ago)?
That is very true.

In 2004 there were 3,308 Americans killed by dihydrogen monoxide, but no one is considering a ban on DHMO.

It just goes to show you how people's priorities are warped (and how they lack any intelligence).

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
A mother described as very loving killed her children....so should we ban mothers too because I think that would cause a problem.
Of course, if you follow the logic of the OP and others.

Now, if the OP and all you others want to admit you're being over-emotional and totally illogical, perhaps we can delay the ban on mothers.

Quote:
Didn't the Netherlands discountinue a 25 year old ban on pit bulls because it proved ineffective on the number of dog bites and dog bite fatalities? In other words, the premise for the ban proved false. The ban made no difference whatsoever.
Why would it?

In the end, it's a dog, and we all know what Shakespeare said: "A dog by any other name is still a dog."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Sorry, "ifs" and "shoulds" just don't save children, and 250 lb. postmen, from attack.

People will NOT get smarter because you say they "should".

Anyone who uses a child to prove a point about a dog is very ill and should be be locked up.

To place your ego above the life of another human is just nuts...
Tell us, Who?Me?! Why do animals have no souls? What is the proof that a divine spark exists in the human brain?

Oh, that's right, the Sacred Scrolls tell us so.

You wouldn't give a loaded Sig Sauer .44 auto-mag to a 4-year old, but you'd allow a 4-year old to be with a dog that wasn't properly trained by parents who don't know the first freaking thing about animals except that they are "cute and cuddly."

We ought to be licensing dog owners, not the dogs.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:11 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
OMG I had a dachshund attack me once. I'm not kidding it wanted to kill me. ...
I read a "defend yourself from a pitbull attack" article online once where the man recommended JINGLING YOUR KEYS to distract the dog. I mean, talk about clueless. Reading that kind of garbage is a good way to get killed.

Anyway. You can love any dog. You don't have to love a pitbull. Sorry. If you like short haired bully types, get a boxer or a bulldog or something like that. Get a Shih tsu and pretend it's a pitbull.

20ysrinBranson
Yes, I remember your telling the story about the dachshund. Of course it's easier to defend oneself from a tiny animal - but we're talking about the alleged natural propensity for a pit bull to attack just for the heck of it. Saying that they're loose canons is absolving moron owners and want-to-be tough guys of the responsibility they have to train their dogs.

I don't care what breed the dog is. The primary responsibility for safety of the dogs and the public is on the owner/caretaker. I'm all for owners of these breeds to pay harsh penalties for neglecting to train, control and properly care for these animals - before something bad happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Try telling that to your insurance company if you own a home.
Companies have computer generated exclusion lists specifically designed to deny coverage for any and all reasons - and it's not limited to dogs. Labeling something or someone to deny insurance coverage is nothing new - it does not mean that their excuses are valid. With regards to APBTs, the excuses have proven false.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
There is no breed that's called an attack breed. That's the MSM for you. Dogs can be bred for guarding and protection. But there is no such thing as an attack breed. There is a difference.

No, but there are dog breeds that are nearly impossible to train to attack. And there are some that are very, very easy. That does say something about the different temperments of the dogs.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, but there are dog breeds that are nearly impossible to train to attack. And there are some that are very, very easy. That does say something about the different temperments of the dogs.
Not true- All of that just goes back to the owner. ANY dog can be trained to attack, or be impossible to train to attack. Has all to do with the owner/trainer

Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
("As with all breeds, the Pit Bull has positive and negative traits in their temperament. Their breed history has led to a dog unlike any other in the history of purebred dogs. What can you expect from an APBT? First and foremost, memorize the following: THE GOLDEN RULE OF PIT BULL OWNERSHIP- NEVER TRUST YOUR PIT BULL NOT TO FIGHT!!!!! This breed is descended from pit dogs one way or another, and, given the right circumstances, most Pit Bulls will fight and against any other breed, they will win (you really don't want to see that!)".

i got this from this site its really interesting its not against the pit bull people just telling you about them from this pitbull trainer -http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/breedinfo.php

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Edited, in red, for more accurate truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
("As with all breeds, the Pit Bull has positive and negative traits in their temperament. Their breed history has led to a dog unlike any other in the history of purebred dogs. What can you expect from an APBT? First and foremost, memorize the following: THE GOLDEN RULE OF ANY DOG OWNERSHIP- NEVER TRUST YOUR DOG NOT TO FIGHT!!!!! This breed is descended from pit dogs one way or another, and, given the right circumstances, most Pit Bulls will fight and against any other breed, they will win (you really don't want to see that!)".

i got this from this site its really interesting its not against the pit bull people just telling you about them from this pitbull trainer -http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/breedinfo.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies