Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM

764 posts, read 597,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We hear a lot about them killing simply because they are large animals capable of doing a lot of damage. What you don't hear is all the attacks from smaller dogs that are much more aggressive than large dogs.
Exactly. Small dogs can be just as aggressive, its just that they don't have the power to do what Pit Bulls do.

I also think another reason we hear about Pit Bulls attacking people, is because Pit Bulls seem to be the dog of choice for people in bad neighborhoods who just want some big mean dog in their backyard to scare off people. They don't take care of them. If around the country, in bad neighborhoods, people were putting English Springer Spaniels in their backyards and not treating them right, I imagine we'd be talking about them alot more often...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
I just have to vent..........My neighbor was talking to me at my gate today when the pit bull that followed her got into my yard. Apparently the non-English speaking owners of this dog don't think its important to keep him confined as required by city code so they just let him wander the neighborhood. Anyway he got into quite a tussle with my blue heeler but eventually I got my dog inside.

I really do despise those dogs. Awful temperament and damn ugly. There are so many other dogs that are more controllable that also make great guard dogs. Luckily gentrification (and high property taxes) will eventually push theses neighbors away from here. Can't wait.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy93 View Post
Which reinforces the fact that all dog breeds aren't equal when it comes to how dangerous they can potentially be. I'm not arguing that only pit bulls are dangerous, I'm arguing that some breeds are more dangerous than others and on that scale the pit bull is high on the dangerous end. If you own a German Shepard I sure hope you understand what it's capable of and anyone arguing that their German Shepard is no more dangerous than any other dog is being reckless. Now if the owner is capable of controlling such an animal great, but how can they be if they won't even admit to themselves the potential it has to cause harm?
No Pit Bulls are more dangerous than German Shepards statistically speaking. The following report documents 14 deaths from German Shepards and their mixes versus 110 from Pit Bulls and their mixes.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf (broken link)

"The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA."

"Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog."

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
1: theres no such bred as a "pit bull" pit bull bites are statisticlaly higher because they come form a large veriety of dogs form the american pit bull terrier to the amstaff to the dogo to any dog that looks "pittish"

most people wouldnt know a "pit bull" if it realy did bite them on the butt...
i cant tell you how many "pit bulls" ive met that are actually LAB mixes!

in refernece to the last quote, the APBT's tail is NEVER docked. if the dogs tail is docked...its not a APBT or Staffy bull...

and as a rule apbt's (and all bully breeds) are SUPPOSED to be people frinedly...
in the UK the staffordshire bull terrier (another "evil breed") is called The Nanny dog due to their love of children!

its not the breed, its the idiots who train them to be mean, the bad breeders who dont care about temperment or screen their buyers, the posers who want a dog simply because it "looks tough", the nut jobs who dont train or socilize and the irresponsible idiots who let their dogs wander around unsecured.

but pitbull haters will not change their minds untill they spend time one on one with good examples of the pit bull terrier breed...i just wish everyone could meet the good ones, youd quickly see that its the PEOPLE not the dogs...

i truly belive people should have to take a test before owning any dog...but especially a large powerfull breed.

can YOU spot the pitty?
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

http://www.adoa.org/index.php?option...news&Itemid=34

all that being said, dog attaks no matter wha tthe breed are tragic events, even more so when they involve chilredn...
but i have to ask myself...where the hell is the kids parents...you NEVER ever ever leave a child unattended with a dog for even a split second, even if that dog is the sweetest natured family dog in the univers, accidents happen!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I don't trust dogs in general especially around children due to their fighting instincts ....

Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Quite frankly it is not adviseable to leave small children alone with any dog, regardless of the breed or how well the adult trusts the animal. In this case the dog should not have had access to the newborn's room. Very tragic.

So very true, what you say. Why is it that adults that are suppose to have common sense, could leave a baby alone, with any breed of dog. Altohugh we have always had very lovable dogs, no matteer the breed, never had a pit, German Shepard, Rott, Pomerarian, etc, have been very loving to my grandchildren when they were small. But they were never ever left alone with the children. An adult was always with them. Our dogs protected the children, and worried about them. But still were never left alone with the children or babies.

Regardless of how loving our dogs have always been, i still do not trust them alone with the grandkids, even though, they never ever have shown signs of aggression. Common sense should tell any adult, around the presense of a pit, even a pet pit, never should you leave them around a baby or your children, the breed is known for attacking at any minute. I believe there is something within the breed itself, to make it vulnerable to attack.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Dogs are apex predators that have hunted and killed alongside man for thousands of years. They all have the potential to be dangerous. Any human for a moment who suspects an animal with close to IR vision, and a mouth full of teeth made for tearing meat and crushing bone is anything but dangerous has no business owning one.

As an animal trainer/behavior scientist once told me over 40 years ago, "If it has a mouth, it bites."

Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Dumb humans destroyed this breed. The next breed they will destroy, let me think Bully Kutta, Presa Canrio, Cane Corso, Fila, Caucasian Shepard, Dogo, or Kangal. The only reason these breeds haven't be aquired by idiots, is because of the price. Pitts are cheap so anybody can aquire one. Sorry that the child suffered such a terrible death. I hate it when the uneducated media tarnish the image of this wonderful breed.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
There was just a thread about African refugees and the beating of a young American. One poster exclaimed that he should not be treated any differently because members of his race commit violent crimes.

So, going to the same logic which we apply to humans and race, should we not stop this stereotyping and approach a pitbull with the same lack of caution in which we approach, say, a boston terrier?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
Clearly you are quite uneducated on the matter. You clearly just listen to the media with no facts to back up this claim. You clearly have never owned or known anyone that has owned a pit bull, or you would not make such an uneducated statement. I rescued my pit bull , and being a dog owner my entire life, I have NEVER had a more tolerant, obedient, loving animal in my life. With that being said, you should really have more knowledge on a subject before commenting on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies