U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,655,782 times

Advertisements

Kinda like Bush winning his second election by a much lesser margin than Obama won his by, and declaring that (and i'm paraphrasing here)..."i've got political capital, and i intend to spend it."

LOL...But hey, that's not arrogance, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM

44,924 posts, read 27,049,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Right out of the chute, president 0bama laid down the temperament of his presidency:

January 23, 2009

The top congressional leaders from both parties gathered at the White House for a working discussion over the shape and size of President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus plan. The meeting was designed to promote bipartisanship.

But Obama showed that in an ideological debate, he’s not averse to using a jab.

Challenged by one Republican senator over the contents of the package, the new president, according to participants, replied: “I won.”

Later in his presidency, he repeated the same statement, as he continued to stick his thumb in the eye of republicans

October 25, 2010

House Republican Whip Eric Cantor gave President Obama a list of modest proposals for the bill. Obama said he would consider the GOP ideas, but told the assembled Republicans that "elections have consequences" and "I won."

Now, president 0bama tells republicans that they will need to get in the back of the bus even if they win back both houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m06s...layer_embedded
I love to see that clip of Maxine Waters admitting that she is one of the co-opted Democrats who has been taken over by the progressives. I have to agree with Glenn Beck about the party in that the progressives have co-opted it and too many Dems don't even recognize what happened to them.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Surely Obama has been one of the most centrist Democrats in a long while. Democrats and Independents alike point to instance after instance where Obama has capitulated to Republican interests and, as a result has eroded his Democratic base. At least concede that filibuster threats and outright filibusters have been a constant feature of Congressional life since 2008 and that under Obama the Republican agenda rolls on barely impeded for not having a Republican president to take the credit. Say it. I'm watching this thread and I want to see acknowledgment of Obama's good faith to the Republican cause or I will post again. Or you can abandon the thread now and skulk off to some new one to keep up the bad blood. Ingrates!

H
I guess you must have been on that other planet in 2005 and 2006 when Harry had the permanent filibuster on about anything he didn't like. He managed to scare enough Republicans into backing down to keep from wasting time. Yep, Old Dirty Harry plays the liberal double standard very well.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Truth.
They seem to have forgotten how this whole election thing works. A Democrat gets elected and gets to try to fulfill the promises made during the campaign. A foreign concept to some, I know.
Where is it written that the President is supposed to kow-tow to Congress and particularly to the opposing party?
Why is it that President Obama was supposed to reach out and be the conciliator when it was clear from day one that the Republicans had no intention of working with him? It was, and remains, crystal clear to me that the Republicans have no respect for that portion of the citizenry that voted for President Obama, millions of their fellow Americans who are, as far as they are concerned, no more than gum on the bottom of their shoes.

The fact remains that he did win, and those of us who voted for him had/have every right to expect that he would/will enact those policies that we voted for. For the President to remind his detractors of this very thing is simply stating the facts.
Of course when the 'cowboy' expressed these sorts of things, he was 'bringing it on.' When the current president does it, he's 'divisive.' Riiiiight.
You say he will enact what you who voted for him wanted done. Do you still not know that he enacts nothing, even with his Executive Orders? Surely you can understand that he enforces the policies enacted by Congress. It not it becomes very apparent why you think he is being picked on for his attitudes.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Obama should have never tried to appease these fools. He tried...now you call him divisive. He should have said **** them from the gate. They never had any intention on working with him.
Who did Obama try to appease? All I saw him do was to get the leaders of both parties together and tell them that it would be his way or the highway because he is TheWon.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Kinda like Bush winning his second election by a much lesser margin than Obama won his by, and declaring that (and i'm paraphrasing here)..."i've got political capital, and i intend to spend it."

I thought of that as stupidity on his part and still see it that way. However, no more stupid than what TheWon said about winning.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM

19,454 posts, read 13,200,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

no, it's not arrogance, it's common sense. Any politician who wins an election has some political capital, because a majority of the voters put their faith in him/her. But a president telling politicians who were duly elected by the majority of their constituents, will be completely disenfranchised because "elections have consequences and I won," now that is arrogant, condescending.

I predict that the democrats will squeal like stuck pigs, if the republican majority plays hardball politics, after this political tsunami on Nov 2nd. They may rightfully see that this landslide means they have received a voter mandate to stop 0bama's and the democrat's agenda, and set a more conservative course.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM

956 posts, read 947,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yep, he missed the part about being POTUS including all the citizens and not just those who voted for him. Obama is quite the unclassy narcissist. Approval rating prove that the people have changed their mind about him and his policies.
He passes health care reform (even ended up COMPROMISING by dropping the public option*) and what do the Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.
He passes a stimulus bill which would have been passed regardless of who was in office, and what do the Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.
He tries getting the Olympics back to the good ol' USA, and what do the Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.
He addresses the nation's children on the importance of education, and what do the Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.
He stands up for the constitutional rights of Muslim Americans, and what do Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.
The first lady tries tackling childhood obesity, and what do the Republicans do?
Smear it as communism.

Pretty repetitive theme for those ever so enlightened conservatives, don't you think? You've got it the wrong way there mam, the Republicans missed the part of the majority of Americans electing Obama as the president.... as in approving of the idea that his ideas were better for the country than McCain's.... as in giving him a several million voter advantage.... as in that's how democracy works. If the majority of Americans didn't approve of him, then he wouldn't have won the election. As Hillary said, "if he walked on water they would say that he can't swim."

Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I am sorry and truly don't want to be rude....but are you on crack???? Where have you been living the past few years? You are going to be watching for a looooong time as the words good faith and Obama do not belong in the same sentence. I sure hope you wake up and come to your senses dorothy, because you are not in Kansas anymore.
I like you are thinking the same thing here. Most of Obama's Sheeple are living and breathing in the past, not in the now in reality. Most Obamatrons are oblivious to the reality that is going on in our Country, right now it sucks! For all of you who think this is a bang up great economy, great, i accept reality, and it stinks! Obama's Sheeple have been grazing on something other then green grass. I did give Obama a chance even though i did not vote for him, my feelings have gotten more negative overtime, because, he is not what he said he was, a President for all the People, and this economy sucks, and he is the Presdient, and nothing is being done to make it better. I don't have to come up with solutions, i am not President in charge of this Country. Maybe he needs better advisors.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM

28,986 posts, read 15,548,163 times
[quote=Wapasha;16411680]Right out of the chute, president 0bama laid down the temperament of his presidency:

January 23, 2009

The top congressional leaders from both parties gathered at the White House for a working discussion over the shape and size of President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus plan. The meeting was designed to promote bipartisanship.

But Obama showed that in an ideological debate, he’s not averse to using a jab.

Challenged by one Republican senator over the contents of the package, the new president, according to participants, replied: “I won.”

/quote]

He is absolutely correct. He won, the American tax payers lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies