Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I hate this guy's comments, but at least he is honest enough to put his true feelings out there. It actually bothers me more to have to deal with the closeted bigots like the conservatives and religious right types that will try to give you reasons for why they believe it is necessary to keep gays from getting married, adopting children or working as teachers. They will never just admit that most of their reasons are based at least in part on the hatred of gay people. The "love the sinner, hate the sin" BS is the stuff that is truly disgusting to me. The bigot that will stand up and wear their prejudice proudly is much more honorable than the people that will not even admit their own bigotry to themselves.
I really don't like the 'love the sinner, hate the sin' stuff. It's like me saying 'I hate Christianity and I think it should be abolished and nobody should be able to practice it..but I still like you as a person!'. Such BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree that LGBT folks should die. I do agree that with the underlying premise that NO special emphasis should be given to anyone based solely on the gender they decide to have sex with. WHO CARES? Just because you like it whatever way you like it doesn't mean there should be a special day in your honor. Have your sex, and have it with whomever you choose. But putting you on a pedestal for it goes too far, and people are tired of it.

And liberals say there's no such thing as a Gay Agenda. Who do you think you're kidding?
I think it seems like they're being 'put on a pedestal' because they're treated as less than equals, so when people try to bring them up to a more normal, equal level it seems as if they're being given preferential treatment when they're not. I agree that no special emphasis should be given to anyone based solely on the gender they decide to LOVE, not just have sex with...it's so much more than that. Which is why gays should be able to marry, adopt children etc. just like any other couple. When people meet you and your wife/girlfriend, do you introduce her as 'the woman I have sex with'? Probably not...and that's basically what you're doing to same sex relationships.

I start caring when kids (KIDS) start committing suicide because of being bullied and adults encourage it instead of trying to prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree that LGBT folks should die. I do agree that with the underlying premise that NO special emphasis should be given to anyone based solely on the gender they decide to have sex with. WHO CARES? Just because you like it whatever way you like it doesn't mean there should be a special day in your honor. Have your sex, and have it with whomever you choose. But putting you on a pedestal for it goes too far, and people are tired of it.

And liberals say there's no such thing as a Gay Agenda. Who do you think you're kidding?

"Special emphasis?" How about NO emphasis on sexuality? That way, gays could have all the same benefits and you won't have to be so bothered listening to people clamour for equal rights.

When someone supports restricted rights for some reason (race, religion, sex, sexuality, handicap), it is THEY who make the basis of the restricted rights the issue, NOT the affected persons who turn and demand equality.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
And he lost his job. Yet Nina totenburg, who wished aids upon Jesse Helms, still has her job.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I agree. All this bigotry against Christians on this thread is sad.
It's not bigotry against Christianity, it's the truth. The school official clearly indicated that the basis for HIS bigotry against gay people was rooted in his Christian faith. There was a very clear connection between the two. He didn't calmly write that he disliked homosexuals, he wanted them DEAD. So, what do you expect people to do in response to such comments? Are they supposed to just sit idly by and let this religion continue its hatred and intolerance, its misinformation campaign against gay people? The response that you're calling bigotry is second-level intolerance, that is, intolerance of intolerance. Yeah, it's ironic in a way, but it's the best course of action without resorting to burning down churches.

This relates to the earlier poster who said s/he thought liberals weren't violent. People of all ideologies are primarily non-violent, but a liberal as well as a conservative will resort to violence when it is appropriate. If somebody wants me dead for something that's none of their business, I will go full Nazi on them if they persist on being ignorant and bigoted.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-29-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Remember it's the California Log Cabin REPUBLICANS who have been trying to get Don't ask, Don't tell repealed.
That's nice, but I'll also remember that every Republican Senator voted against repealing it. In general, the Republican Party is the anti-gay party.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's nice, but I'll also remember that every Republican Senator voted against repealing it. In general, the Republican Party is the anti-gay party.
No....I think the Republicans are the "anti-special treatment for gays" party. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It's not bigotry against Christianity, it's the truth. The school official clearly indicated that the basis for HIS bigotry against gay people was rooted in his Christian faith. There was a very clear connection between the two. He didn't calmly write that he disliked homosexuals, he wanted them DEAD. So, what do you expect people to do in response to such comments? Are they supposed to just sit idly by and let this religion continue its hatred and intolerance, its misinformation campaign against gay people? The response that you're calling bigotry is second-level intolerance, that is, intolerance of intolerance. Yeah, it's ironic in a way, but it's the best course of action without resorting to burning down churches.
Can you document for me from the Bible that it is a Christian principle? I will agree with you every time that this nitwit is wrong...it's not a Christian principle to kill them. Sorry...it's just not.
Quote:
This relates to the earlier poster who said s/he thought liberals weren't violent. People of all ideologies are primarily non-violent, but a liberal as well as a conservative will resort to violence when it is appropriate. If somebody wants me dead for something that's none of their business, I'll go full Nazi on them if they persist on being ignorant and bigoted.

Are you judging him? What right do you have?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
No....I think the Republicans are the "anti-special treatment for gays" party. There is a difference.
Then they should be given the same treatment as straight people. Marriage, adoption etc.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Then you'd be wrong. They are the party that laughed at AIDS victims and wanted to deny funding for AIDS research. They are the party that wanted to make homosexuality illegal. They are the party that wanted to allow discrimination against gay people. "Special treatment" is the smokescreen that hides their blatant bigotry.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Can you document for me from the Bible that it is a Christian principle? I will agree with you every time that this nitwit is wrong...it's not a Christian principle to kill them. Sorry...it's just not.

Are you judging him? What right do you have?
The guy used his interpretation of Christianity for his bigotry. I don't need to find anything in the Bible to support my assertion, ask him where he got the ideas. And yes, I have every right to judge him for doing the wrong thing and being completely un-Christian. I can call the guy a hypocrite and ignorant bigot because that's what he is. Logic and the truth provide all the judgment anyone needs.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The guy used his interpretation of Christianity for his bigotry.
He was wrong.
Quote:

I don't need to find anything in the Bible to support my assertion.
You won't find any, and you're just as wrong as he was. The difference is that you don't follow your misguided understanding of it.
Quote:
And yes, I have every right to judge him for doing the wrong thing and being completely un-Christian.
That's kind of harsh and judgmental, isn't it? Why are you allowed to judge and he's not?
Quote:

I can call the guy a hypocrite because that's what he is.
He is, yes. But to make a judgement of Christianity based on some nitwit's actions is ill-informed. Do your homework and actually see what the religion teaches.
Quote:
Logic and the truth are the only real weapons of judgment that make sense.
Then start using some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Then they should be given the same treatment as straight people. Marriage, adoption etc.
They already are. Nobody asked me if I was gay when I got my marriage license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies