Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
In Maryland you can go to jail for shooting someone who breaks into your home, unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the intruder was intending to harm you.
Well, it may all come down to your word against his. If he's lying in a pool of his own blood when the cops show up, or splattered across a wall, how's he going to show that he did *not* intend to hurt you? (Particularly with that steak knife in his rapidly cooling hand) Case closed. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, should they decide to pursue it, and no prosecutor is his right mind will come after a law-abiding homeowner protecting himself against an intruder in his own home.

Yes, I own guns. (emphasis on the "s")

Yes, I carry.

Yes, I have been robbed at gunpoint. Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I own serveral guns, and was raised with them. Got my first 22 on my 6th birthday as my son did. We are rural folks.

In the mid 80's crime hit my county, and ever since i carry 2 hand guns when I leave home, and just one at home. Carry guns are hand guns. I wouldn't use these to hunt game.

In the very early 70's i became curius about black powder guns and worked back wards to be better than fair with flintlocks.

But the crimes of the 80's woke me up for hand guns I never was really interested in.

I remained shooting flintlocks, to the point my more modern 50's and 60' guns got dusty.

Then 911 occured and a woman came on the news in early Oct that year, blaming the ownership of fire arms for 911. She said something like If Americans were not allowed private ownership of guns 911 would never have happened.

I went ballistic, took my wife by the hand at 4:45 pm and we went to the local gun store looking for something ugly, and there it was the first of my Ak-47's. Since i shoot lefty that first one became hers, but on paper it's mine. So I bought another. Then I got in a deal over a boat and took another with a pig sticker and a under folding stock.

I pretty much like that folding stock, fits my life style pretty well. And i don't need to defend myself with hunting guns any more.

So far just one bad guy was too stupid to belive I wouldn't shoot, so today he rides a wheel chair. He won't bother any one any more.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are more unstable, PO'ed people out there, with very little self control.

It is becoming a more violent world and our nation is not immune.
Well, then I guess it's time to do something. I am single and live alone. I have dogs and an alarm system, but I guess I am going to have to consider getting a gun. I don't like the idea, at all.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, then I guess it's time to do something. I am single and live alone. I have dogs and an alarm system, but I guess I am going to have to consider getting a gun. I don't like the idea, at all.

IMO, it would be a very good idea. Get lessons, take range lessons, get the permit(s) what ever applies where you are.

Get a gun you can afford to shoot, .22's are that gun. Then get a SD gun. Pratice with both.

I shoot 22's as much as I shoot flintlocks, and still practice with my SD guns as I can afford.

Your life could depend on it. For reasons I don't understand women tend to think a man will do this protection thing, and maybe he will but what happens if he isn't there is is taken down?

You can't really beat of a bad guy(s) with a cell phone.
My female doctor sister has a .38/.357 revolver stoked with custom loaded .357 rounds. I tried to get her to use what the cops use, but she has that money thing going on. She likes the hot loads.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

I do feel, a gun safety certificate should be a requirement, to purchase a newly manufactured weapon at the retail, and organized sales shows.

Private person to person sales or trading, will never be regulated.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 PM

BB, I disagree. Getting lessons is a real good idea, but having to prove it means nothing.

We sould NOT have to pay for carry permits, nor should be forced to have such a permit in the first place, but every state except Vt has them, and in VT it is assumed you carry.

The only proof one must have to purchase a gun is a State ID, usually a drivers lic. Some states wat more leddle worthless papers too.

In Mass I had to have a FIDA card to get a carry permit, which I was told would take 90 days. I protested and said i was goiung to shoot my hand guns anyway. This promted the chief of police to ask how I got hand guns. At that time the ones I had i bought new and legal in Fla. Then he asked "Didn't you see the signs on the interstate?"

I said yeah, I saw them, but didn't take it to mean I was to pull off the road and dump guns at the sign. I had my permit in 3 days.

A littler bit later, assuming the chief also had a permit, he was found dead, shot right thru the head with his service sidearm. Thats what good a carry permit is. Another worthless piece of paper that don't mean squat.

Taking lessons, getting familar just makes sence. Running most guns is like running a car. It takes practice. I forget how to drive cars in several months of not driving them, because i ride motorcycles.

My hands and feet need to get re-aquainted with the gas pedal brake and clutch

Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:

Look for a range in your area and take the safety course.They'll go over all aspects of gun safety and gun control both classroom and range time. Once you get certified and get your permit go to the range as much as possible and practice,practice,practice. Try to find a range that rents out guns so you can get the feel of them all and which one fits you best,they're not 1 size fits all.

I'd start with a 22 to familiarize yourself,you won't get the recoil of a larger caliber gun.I don't care what anyone says but you can defend yourself just as good with a gun you can shoot great rather than a larger one you have no control over. Over the last few years I see more and more women at the range and you'd be amazed at just how many are carrying concealed.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm not going to argue with you because how you defend your family & property is up to you. All I'm saying is that there's risks involved when you attempt to defend yourself. Conversely, there's also risks involved when you don't. However, the risks tend to be higher when you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The risks of defending yourself are reduced with common sense. In all honesty if someone walked up to me and demanded my wallet I'd probably give it to them even though I have guns and martial arts training that give me the capability to either bash their head in or blow it off. Why? It's simple. I know all to well that if I have to defend myself it will cost me far more than what I may have in my wallet to defend myself in a court of law and proove my innocence. I'd rather hand them the 100.00 or whatever I may have if I think that will get me out of the situation. People usually say I'm nuts and ask why I have guns and martial arts training if that's my take on things. The answer is simple really. I enjoy soprt shooting and I enjoy performing martial arts and it's great for physical fitness. I also enjoy knowing that I can stop an attacker if I have no other option.
two differing points of view, and the real truth falls in the middle. a well trained person can defend themselves fairly easily and with little chance of real injury. a completely untrained person that lets fear and anger rule the day, will usually end up severely injured or dead. however a person that decides not to be a victim anymore, and is willing to retaliate and not stop until the the aggressor stops one way or another, may end up with a few injuries, and the aggressor usually ends up also with injuries, perhaps more severe, but in the end usually the one determined not to be a victim, regardless of training level, ends up winning the fight.

remember that is isnt the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Yeah there is always risks untill you end up dead, like my father in law and his 2nd wife did. After the both of them were stabbed to death I guess the risks were limited somewhat more.

They were city dwellers not 3 blocks from the cop shop.

My being a rural dweller if i call the cops, if they come at all it will be no faster than 30 minutes, and a lot can happen in a few seconds.

If cops were the best SD I would carry one of them.

Being familar means being able to close your eyes and field strip a weapon to me in so many seconds as is possible with your eyes open, and what ever std time that particular weapon would take a expert, then put it all back together, all ready to be loaded. So you can do it in the dark.

Any weapon I can't do that with isn't a carry gun.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
...So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?...Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
bzzzzzz--------bzzzzzzzzzzz

Quite frankly it is none of your business or anyone else's on this site-who in this forum owns firearms and who does not.

bzzzzzzzzzzzz-bzzzzzzzzzzzz

*back to your regularly scheduled programming*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies