Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,007 times

Advertisements

Personally, I hate guns - they scare me and if someone broke into my house I still probably wouldn't have the guts to shoot anyone. It's just not my nature. I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to have firearms in the privacy of their own homes; however, carrying them in public is a different story to which I greatly oppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
[quote=ColoWeb;16416231] Does your household owns firearms?

Yes.

Do you think each household should?

Yes, but wouldn't force anyone to.

Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Yes.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
I live in a rural area. I'm solely responsible for the safety of my SO and my animals. So of course I own guns.

However, I look upon them as just tools...not some extension of my manhood.

As for other folks...they can do what they want.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Lightbulb Do you own firearms? Should each household be armed?

Quote:
Does your household own firearms?
Yes

Quote:
Do you think each household should?
No

Those who need them and can handle them properly should have them. Those who don't want them can be free to go without.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Every American household should own at least three firearms (more for families of 4 or more members). Then the police would not be necessary to protect homes and could concentrate on arresting people that listen to music and smoke an occasional joint.
Watching T.V. the other day and watched footage of a U.K. thief caught stealing and when confronted by the British bobbies he weilded a hatchet and hacked up their car you should of seen those Keystone cops run...LOLLOLLOL...THE POLICE give me a break to a earlier post by someone they are a joke here where i live.Your right on Visvaldis

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
I think that it is much more common in the mountain west, even in the 'big' cities.
I'm in southern New Mexico, where even the most liberal are ardent supporters of the 2nd amendment. Some of my neighbors own guns, I don't. Personally, I've got no issue with legally owned firearms.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
I own more than 1 fire arm and would wager that my skills with them are vastly superior to that of our local police.
Should everyone be required to own guns? No, because there are way to many idiots out there.
I live in the country and most of my neighbors also own guns.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Yeah, so let's all just give up and lie on our backs as we cower in fear because something...anything...might go wrong.
No thanks. With a firearm, the odds tilt immeasurably in my favour. There's nothing "superman/hero" about it. That's liberal nonsense-talk.
You can roll over and allow your house to be cleaned out while you beg the invader not to harm you. That's not my choice.

What is the matter with you!?!?!!?! If someone breaks into your home you need to reason with him! Empathise with him! Really try and "See where he is coming from" and reach out to him! If you brandish a firearm and he flees he is going to have self esteem issues since he failed to rob you. Do you really want to be the cause of that?

Furthermore, if he is a minority and you are white well.... you are probably a racist and responsible for his low economic status and should gladly turn over all of your belongings to him anyway. A good citizen would assist the perp in carrying items out to his getaway vehicle lest he injure himself trying to lug a heavy item like a big screen TV. Remember, if you happen to damage an item the perp wants you have a duty to reimburse him for the full retail value.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
It's a great idea to have a gun, and know how to use it. You cannot count on the cops to get to you in time.
Our neighborhood has been robbed a few times. My husband caught a guy trying to break into our truck, and ran the guy off, only for him (or someone elese who knows) to come back the next night and try again. Our alarm went off again and again, he ran. But our neighbor's van was broken into and everything taken.
We've had 5 different people come up to our house, just to ask me strange questions, like do I have a dog? Is my husband a cop? And someone tried to get in through our dinning room window. Took the screen off.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
I haven't finished reading this thread as it seems to be going the way of all gun-related discussions set in a political setting. Many people like me enjoy handguns, rifles, muskets and shotguns simply because they enjoy the technology and craftsmanship that goes into their construction. I also enjoy musical instruments but I am certainly no violinist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies