Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,078,420 times

Advertisements

I've been gone nearly 3 weeks on business and come back to this. I guess it's good to know that things don't change much and that there are those who can be counted on to "keep up" the sheet...I mean the fight.

But let's play the game...so Texas has had 'Jose' as the #1 baby name since 2006...does it surprise you that Alabama has had 'William' as the #1 baby name since 1995? Funny though, I don't really recall hearing that many 'William's' while in Alabama...but I sure did hear a bunch of Billy-bob's and Billy boy's. You think that may have been a coincidence?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,078,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
To be fair though, Texas has always had an extremely large Mexican population even in the 1800s. Lot of Mexicans came over and settled in Texas after the Mexican Revolution and most Hispanics in Texas have been living there for at least 3 generations

A funny thing...just for some FYI. Texas always had a large Mexican population because it was a part of Mexico. And those people who became terrorists and insurrectionists were Mexican citizens as well, after pledging allegiance and faith to Mexico in order to be granted land. And even after the Texas revolution, in which there were MANY Mexican Latino's who fought against Santa Ana there were Mexican's/Hispanic's/Latino's living in Texas because the border moved...not the people. And there have been many who have been living in Texas and other places even before the United States existed, not just 3 generations ago.

Just some FYI.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
A funny thing...just for some FYI. Texas always had a large Mexican population because it was a part of Mexico. And those people who became terrorists and insurrectionists were Mexican citizens as well, after pledging allegiance and faith to Mexico in order to be granted land. And even after the Texas revolution, in which there were MANY Mexican Latino's who fought against Santa Ana there were Mexican's/Hispanic's/Latino's living in Texas because the border moved...not the people. And there have been many who have been living in Texas and other places even before the United States existed, not just 3 generations ago.

Just some FYI.
In fact, there were 2500 Tejanos who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, including Confederate Colonel Santos Benavides of the 33rd Texas Cavalry. Tejanos also fought for the Confederacy in many of the major civil war battles far from Texas itself. A smaller number of Tejanos fought for the Union.

Mexican Texans in the Civil War

Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
One of the slain Alamo defenders was named Jose.

Probably because "George" was born in Connecticut, not Texas, the other George (HW) was born in Massachusetts.

By the way.. Has anyone noticed that "William" tops the list as the #1 boy name in nearly every Southern state?
No big surprise it's #1 in Arkansas.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,320,367 times
What a boring name. I never understood why every other Hispanic male I seem to meet in this world is named Jose. For goodness sakes people! Put SOME creativity in there!

I always thank my parents for giving me a unique name. I have yet to meet one other person in my life with the same name as me. I get positive comments all the time on it. On the other hand, I routinely meet Mikes, Chris's, John's, and JOSE'S who complain about how common and boring their names are. Like em or not, they are common and BORING! Haha

Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,434,977 times
Maybe it is not Mexicans. Maybe it is just alcoholics. Calm down racists, I mean tea partiers.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Does this mean that if I move to Texas I (as a White male) can take advantage of affirmative action and all the other special privileges granted to minorities since I would be a minority there?
How would you be a minority? Mexicans are white/caucasian. You'd fit right in. Well, the Spanish thing could be a problem, but there's always Rosetta Stone.

As for your "special privileges" comment...don't be silly. Just about everything worth owning in Texas is owned by whites. I don't think the minorities are doing too well in the "special privileges" department. Not from what i've seen, they aren't.

But of course, perhaps you can elaborate more on what the minorities have there that the whites can seem to attain? LMAO...I gotta hear this!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

By the way.. Has anyone noticed that "William" tops the list as the #1 boy name in nearly every Southern state?
Hmmm...why did i think it would be "Stonewall," Lee, Jefferson, or something like that?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
And this matters because?
Halloween is comming and we need some new "spooks"...

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,802,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Social Security Online - Popular Baby Names
Texas: Jose & Isabella

Jose- most popular name since 1996
Jose can you see by the dawns early light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.