Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 AM

14 posts, read 29,441 times

Advertisements

to artsyguy i will tell you how welfare has destroyed are nation.the largest prison population in the world,non producing,non tax paying,lazy worthless breeders living of the backs of the rest of the people who have to work till were 68 and scrimp and save every penny so these blood suckers can stay home and get drunk/high have more unwanted kids WAKE THE HELL UP!!! STOP BELIEVING A PIPE DREAM LIVE IN THESE NEIGHBORHOODS AND GET A FREAKIN CLUE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank cartwright View Post
to desertdetroiter safety net not multiple generations of non-working free loaders producing kids for free money
Whatever. Again...you have 700 billion for defense and 3 trillion for useless wars. Nobody seems to have a complaint about that.

Well, Welfare is a pittance compared to that. So i really don't care.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:36 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
UPI really? Owned by a South Korean with a messiah complex, desires a theocracy for all nations, the holocaust was "cosmic retribution" for Jews not supporting Jesus, and refers to homosexuals as "dung-eating dogs"? Wow, amazing stuff there.

Sun Myung Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't surprise me when ultra righters believe a fundamentalist nut with delusions of being god.
instead of addressing the topic in any way whatsoever, you're going to begin howling about who owns UPI?

really?

do you think this study did not show what was stated in the OP?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
I have always heard that after the blacks, the browns, & the gays. it will be the poor who are demonized.
After reading this thread & many other on this topic. I guess I heard correctly.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank cartwright View Post
to artsyguy i will tell you how welfare has destroyed are nation.the largest prison population in the world,non producing,non tax paying,lazy worthless breeders living of the backs of the rest of the people who have to work till were 68 and scrimp and save every penny so these blood suckers can stay home and get drunk/high have more unwanted kids WAKE THE HELL UP!!! STOP BELIEVING A PIPE DREAM LIVE IN THESE NEIGHBORHOODS AND GET A FREAKIN CLUE!!!
Apparently those who work until they are 68 don't know how to properly construct sentences...

Anyways, the prison system benefits as many people as it hurts. Locking up young black males for drug possession has made those in the prison industry very wealthy. Tighten the laws against crack cocaine, and you can make billions of dollars by locking up a segment of the population without any political costs. Close to half of all federal inmates are in prison for non-violent, drug-related charges. End the War on Drugs and you stop incarcerating people who are going to use drugs either way..

The welfare situation, as bad as it may be, is often over exaggerated by public officials and political commentators looking to rile up misinformed people and whom can be "related to". I too am against long term welfare, but even if you eliminated the type of welfare you are referring to, the US would still be running one of the largest budget deficits in human history! Facts, facts, facts...

Lastly, I doubt that you are very wealthy, so your tax contributions (and the contributions of most Americans) actually don't mean alot in the grand scheme of things. Due to the way the wealth is distributed, the top 5% of Americans contribute over 80% of the government's total revenues. Have you ever wondered from a statistical point how it is possible for the percentage of Americans NOT paying federal income taxes to rise to close to 50%, and yet tax revenues remain constant?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The poor would rather work. I don't know a single person who wants to live in poverty.
I agree. I think it's wrong for anyone to assume that poor people on welfare want to be there. I also don't think it's fair to penalize those who are on welfare who have babies. Once they find themselves on welfare, what are they supposed to do? Stop living? Kids are great and enhance one's life. I only have three kids and wish I had 10 more.

What we should do as a country is provide for those who can't provide for themselves, give the utmost best care to the elderly and veterans, and help people transition from welfare to secure, financially-rewarding careers that they find fulfilling.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
You can see a woman somehow getting pregnant the first time and ending up on welfare but the subsequent pregnancies show they are plenty happy with the welfare life.

*Some* poor people don't like welfare but they would tend to be the working poor who refuse handouts even if they qualify but prefer to be self-reliant even if it means going without. And some people are on welfare a short time and get back on their feet but there are far far too many people who are now generation after generation on welfare.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The poor would rather work. I don't know a single person who wants to live in poverty.
Key point: " I don't know..." Come with me to work for one night, I'll show you a couple of thousand people, all over age 40 who haven't worked a day in their lives and all are on welfare. They will all tell you they have no intention of working.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
It's stupid to ask a person on welfare if they like being on welfare. They are certainly not going to admit it.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever. Again...you have 700 billion for defense and 3 trillion for useless wars. Nobody seems to have a complaint about that.

Well, Welfare is a pittance compared to that. So i really don't care.
Besides the $3 trillion number being utterly false...

Quote:
Social Security: Another 20 percent of the budget, or $708 billion, will pay for Social Security, which provided retirement benefits averaging $1,117 per month to 36 million retired workers (and their eligible dependents) in December 2009.

Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP: Three health insurance programs — Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — will together account for 21 percent of the budget in 2010, or $753 billion.

Safety net programs: About 14 percent of the federal budget in 2010, or $482 billion, will support programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship.
Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

That's a left-leaning policy analysis firm and in case you can't count that's 55% of the federal budget. Our welfare state far exceeds the cost of the DoD and the wars. But don't let facts get in the way, carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies