Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

But yet any black comedian could have made the same joke on BET and everyone would've howled with laughter.

Bottom line is that people pick and choose who they wish to be offended by....instead of demanding a real standard for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
But yet any black comedian could have made the same joke on BET and everyone would've howled with laughter.

Bottom line is that people pick and choose who they wish to be offended by....instead of demanding a real standard for all.
No, society has norms. And while the norm in America used to be that whites could make such jokes about all blacks being [fill in blank], that is no longer the norm. It isn't just about one person choosing to be offended, whereas another is not. As a social group, some things are no longer acceptable. Some people, of course, have views and behave in ways that now are outside the norm, and they will face reproach for it.

The argument of "but those guys get to say such things" ignores the norm that (by analogy) I may make jokes about my family, but you had better not. And it's an argument often used by people who are bigoted, and feel deprived and resentful that they are criticized whenever they express their bigoted views.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

But a black comedian on BET Would not have made the joke and no he would not have received applause or laughter if he had the audacity to do something that stupid. By the way, when did you become a spokesperson for black people? I guess you think that anything coming out of a black comedian's mouth is funny to black people. You're incorrect.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
[quote=Factsplease;16433514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post

Would it be funny if I made a joke about White people accusing them of murder and exploitation of every country on the planet and called them evil? I don't think you would find that amusing.
It all depends on how it was worded. The way you described it, not so much.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
But a black comedian on BET Would not have made the joke and no he would not have received applause or laughter if he had the audacity to do something that stupid. By the way, when did you become a spokesperson for black people? I guess you think that anything coming out of a black comedian's mouth is funny to black people. You're incorrect.
Meanwhile Chris Rock makes jokes about hiding your money in a book or your work boots because a "N" won't look there because they can't read and they don't work. I'm sure there were a TON of howling laughs from the black crowd over that doozy!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Your probably right, they would have just dropped the "N" word a thousand times without a second of condemnation.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Your probably right, they would have just dropped the "N" word a thousand times without a second of condemnation.
So what? That doesn't make this right. First of all, I have seen many black comedians live and on television. Not all of them use the N word. Furthermore, I don't condone anyone using the word but there is difference when it is used maliciously or used in place of words like dude. I have heard white people use the word (they called each other and some black people the N word) and no one comdemded it then either. They used it the same way a black person would.

I was once at a train station and an old white woman said as she looked at me "is that a ******?" Due to he being mentally ill and that she meant nothing to me, I ignored her and went on about my business. The word doesn't hold as much power as you think it does. Either way, black comedians and politicians are not one in the same. Racism should be kept out of politics. Just as the white woman at the train station, what a black comedian says in their show has no relevence as it relates to the political arena but what a party chair says, matters.

Constantly throwing out your feelings about how black people relate to each other or wheter or not they use the N word does not make this man's actions acceptable. I can see what side your loyalties lie on. The one with the racists. Your silence gives consent but I see you are very vocal when it comes to black people...

Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Cue the "why do 95% of blacks vote Democrat" crowd
In regards to racism against black folks, if it walks like a racist and it talks like a racist, chances are... it's a Republican.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Cue the "why do 95% of blacks vote Democrat" crowd
In regards to racism against black folks, if it walks like a racist and it talks like a racist, chances are... it's a Republican.
and to add if it walks like a labatomized sheep and talks like a labatomized sheep, chance are ..... it's a Democrat.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Meanwhile Chris Rock makes jokes about hiding your money in a book or your work boots because a "N" won't look there because they can't read and they don't work. I'm sure there were a TON of howling laughs from the black crowd over that doozy!

First of all, he didn't use the N word when he told the joke. That may have been his way of encouraging black people to read. There is a difference between malice and making light of an issue that affects the black community when you are a black man who actually has done community service and put your money where your mouth is. There is no comparison and by defending this man, you make your feelings very clear. This is they very reason why blacks at tea party rallies get called Uncle Toms. I would never stand next to or support anyone who condones racist behavior. I don't care how they vote or what party they're in. Now what is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies