Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I did read it. I don't see anything wrong with someone talking about ways to make money. What some of you don't seem to understand is that he would invest money regardless if he stayed in medicine or not. It is what smart people with money do. Having an interest in financial investments does not make someone bad at what ever job they do. And there are new laws going into affect that may affect this mans lively hood. None of us know what is in that bill and he therefore has a right to be concerned.

I want to point out one other thing. People do not go into medicine out only out of the kindness of their own heart. No one ever takes any job for that reason. Maybe in a fantasy world some of you want to live in this is the case, but in reality it is one of the most stressful jobs there is, mistakes made will cost people there lives. A good doctor should get paid a lot of money. I agree there are problems with health care and costs, but Obama care will make things worse.

It wasn't and insult. I was making a point and I think deep down you don't like it cause you know I'm right.
Jeez, Louise!

Many people go into medicine to make a lot of money. This is indisputable. Many go into it for the prestige. Many also go into medicine because they like science, because they want to help people, etc.

I am a RN and I work with 5 doctors. I don't need a little lecture about stress, etc from anyone. Nurses and CNAs have stressful jobs as well where a mistake can cost someone their life. This guy is looking for an excuse, at age 34, to change careers. None of the docs I know are considering dropping out of medicine because of Obamacare. The worst any of them have said is that they'll have to learn a new set of rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I don't think many people here understand how vocational a medical degree is. Its entire point is to qualify you to be a doctor, and do that as well as possible. It is in-depth, not broad. Doctors deciding to change professions have a lot less flexibility than others with the same personal investment in education.

It is more analogous to an plumber deciding he doesn't want to be a plumber than someone with a doctorate in biology deciding he doesn't want to work in research any more.

Also, doctors often have larger loans after they graduate.

I'd also take some time to read up on what doctors said to the introduction of UHC in other countries, and how that actually turned out. And the introduction of UHC was a much bigger chhange. Which happened with the USA as an alternative, an immense market with a continual shortage of doctors, and massive profits for doctors.

Surprisingly, many of those countries now have more doctors working per head than the US. There never was an exodus. And unlike them, US doctors have no other country to go to where they can make bigger profits.
Why are so many of our doctors from other countries? I know that some come here to go to school and have to practice here for a specified amount of time as part of an agreement. My favorite one of all my life was from India and she stayed here way beyond her signed for time and, in fact, is now teaching in a teaching hospital along with practicing and it is still in the United States.

I don't even know why so many doctors in the US are from Canada. Do you?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
The fact is that most physicians are against this stupid Obamacare.
No one wants to talk about this or even acknowledge it.
You have to ask yourselves why.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You should read the link. The guy sounds like an SOB. Most docs invest their money; that's no crime. It's not even a crime to want to get out of medicine. But it's not Obamacare that's the driver in this case; that's just an excuse.
Kat, I think you need to provide some proof of that last sentence but don't think you can do it.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Jeez, Louise!

Many people go into medicine to make a lot of money. This is indisputable. Many go into it for the prestige. Many also go into medicine because they like science, because they want to help people, etc.

I am a RN and I work with 5 doctors. I don't need a little lecture about stress, etc from anyone. Nurses and CNAs have stressful jobs as well where a mistake can cost someone their life. This guy is looking for an excuse, at age 34, to change careers. None of the docs I know are considering dropping out of medicine because of Obamacare. The worst any of them have said is that they'll have to learn a new set of rules.
What a bunch of crap. I work in medicine and I know many doctors who will either just go ahead and retire or figure out ways around the stupid new system.
Our best bet is a repeal and re-do. This is a dumb plan that costs a ton of money, is not sustainable, and DOES NOT ACTUALLY IMPROVE ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE for anyone.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The fact is that most physicians are against this stupid Obamacare.
No one wants to talk about this or even acknowledge it.
You have to ask yourselves why.
I think that most of them who have entered into Medicare care have learned what having bureaucrats call the shots isn't really fun. Somehow, people who lean left just can't see that but then they keep their blinders on when talking about Obamacare.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What a bunch of crap. I work in medicine and I know many doctors who will either just go ahead and retire or figure out ways around the stupid new system.
Our best bet is a repeal and re-do. This is a dumb plan that costs a ton of money, is not sustainable, and DOES NOT ACTUALLY IMPROVE ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE for anyone.
I can't rep you but then. ....

Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,094,727 times
Quote:
Jeez, Louise!

So they have read the bill and know this to be the case? No, I think they are just accepting that they can do nothing about it now that it has been shoved down our throat. Could be that the OP knows somethings they do not. Maybe he read the bill. <---------That is a joke (in case you don't understand) to point out that no one knows whats coming.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,819,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why are so many of our doctors from other countries?...I don't even know why so many doctors in the US are from Canada. Do you?
Because the US pays by far the highest salaries.

Also, some come for the ease of doing research, but I don't think many of them stay beyond their project.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
My post is not a bunch of crap! I was expressing what I know about the opinions of the doctors I work with. You cannot pretend to know what they think, as I doubt you know a single one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies