Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times

Advertisements

In the past week, 0bama has nationalized these midterm elections. I'll bet more then a few democrats, who are running for election, are upset about this.

There are democrats who did not want their election to be a referendum on 0bama. They did not even want 0bama coming to their state to campaign for them, and here is 0bama making their election an extension of 0bama's agenda. some of these people will be elected to the senate, and most of their term will last well beyond 0bama's remaining two years.

I have heard 0bama on three different talk shows, making this election all about him, and his policies, and telling the voters that his agenda is on the ballot or he tells the voters that in order for him to push thru more of his agenda, he will need to retain his democrat majorities in the congress and senate.

For example:

My name may not be on the ballot, but our agenda for moving forward is on the ballot, and I need everybody to turn out,” Obama said Tuesday afternoon during an appearance on the Rev. Al Sharpton’s radio show.

...and that is how you turn all these elections national. 0bama is pushing hard, telling anyone who listens, that a vote for any democrat this election, is a vote for 0bama and his agenda.

One reason why the First Lady was out going to campaign events was because some democrats did not want to turn their election into a referendum on the president and his policies:

While a number of candidates nationwide are edging away from the president, there has been no such reluctance to appear with his wife, whose favorability rating stood at an enviable 66% in July. But her forays also complicate the desires of some Democratic figures to avoid nationalizing the election or making it a referendum on President Obama and his policies.

First lady to hit the campaign trail in California, elsewhere - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Yea..we're all pretty angry about this. I've never been so angry in my life. So angry, that i'm gonna beat my dog.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
OP, you understand the influence a midterm election has on national politics, right?

Do you think this is the first president to campaign for his team at midterm? He doesnt want his projects to get isolated or stalled, for one thing.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Obama = The Kiss Of Death

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,712 times
In the past 2 years Obama has had to pay for everything he pushed through. Even the Dems needed to be bribed to vote for his misguided ideas. He has treated the right with disdain and knows it will now come back to haunt him. Will the right be seen as racist when they tell Obama to move to the back...?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
In the past 2 years Obama has had to pay for everything he pushed through. Even the Dems needed to be bribed to vote for his misguided ideas. He has treated the right with disdain and knows it will now come back to haunt him. Will the right be seen as racist when they tell Obama to move to the back...?
When they ask for the car keys? No, that's not racist.

if they were to ask him to move to the back of the bus where he belongs, that would be different.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

Hmm. I guess the exact same language would have worked for the 1982 midterm elections. Let us try:

"In the past 2 years Reagan has had to pay for everything he pushed through. Even the Reps need to be bribed to vote for his misguided ideas. He has treated the left with disdain and knows it will now come back to haunt him."

Yep, seems to fit. As a person who remembers 1982 I can say that President Reagan was felt to be in trouble; that the Democratic win during the 1982 midterms was felt by many to be a slap towards President Reagan's policies. Many felt that President Reagan would be a one-term president.

Relax. The Republicans will do well next week. Yet the world will keep spinning on its axis, the seasons will change. Politics will continue, and more elections will be held in the future (this is not the 'last election' as some seem to think). The party out of power during midterms tend to gain seats, simply because people tend to get mad at the party in power.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea..we're all pretty angry about this. I've never been so angry in my life. So angry, that i'm gonna beat my dog.
Are you running for the US senate or Congress?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
OP, you understand the influence a midterm election has on national politics, right?

Do you think this is the first president to campaign for his team at midterm? He doesnt want his projects to get isolated or stalled, for one thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Relax. The Republicans will do well next week. Yet the world will keep spinning on its axis, the seasons will change. Politics will continue, and more elections will be held in the future (this is not the 'last election' as some seem to think). The party out of power during midterms tend to gain seats, simply because people tend to get mad at the party in power.
The issue is, there are many people on these boards who never in their lives followed politics before. They've never heard of "mid-term elections", just like they never heard of stuff like "presidential vacations", "first lady's staff", etc.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

You miss the whole point, it's not about me, nor what I think, and to many of the democrat candidates running for election, its not supposed to be about 0bama.

There are democrats running in these mid term elections who do not want their election nationalized, they do not want the president campaigning for them, they do not want an unpopular president, with his unpopular agenda, dragging them down with him. They do not want their election into a six year senate term tied to what 0bama does in his last two years of office. They do not want people withholding their vote for them, based upon 0bama's agenda.

These democrats have their names on the ballot, 0bama is not on the ballot, but here he comes inserting himself and his agenda onto the ballot anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies