Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm getting at the fact that many liberals here claimed that the Glen Beck rally was "blindingly white" and looked like a KKK rally but the people in the photos from events are the same, overwhelmingly white. Why did the race of the attendees make the Glen Beck rally a racist KKK event but the race of the attendees today made it perfect in the eyes of many liberals?
The race of the attendees didn't make it perfect

I don't think anyone really noticed the race of people there. It doesn't matter.
As part of the comedic routine, Stewart and his associates asked some in the audience to identify themselves by category, eliciting answers such as "half-Mexican, half-white," "American woman single" and "Asian-American from Taiwan."

"It's a perfect demographic sampling of the American people," Stewart cracked to a crowd filled with mostly younger whites. "As you know, if you have too many white people at a rally, your cause is racist. If you have too many people of color, then you must be asking for something — special rights, like eating at restaurants or piggy back rides."

Stewart-Colbert Rally Draws Laughs, Activism - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2028439,00.html#ixzz13tq1fA00 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm getting at the fact that many liberals here claimed that the Glen Beck rally was "blindingly white" and looked like a KKK rally but the people in the photos from events are the same, overwhelmingly white. Why did the race of the attendees make the Glen Beck rally a racist KKK event but the race of the attendees today made it perfect in the eyes of many liberals?
I noticed that too - a LOT of white people, not so many of color.

Clueless dems;

http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/30/co...tter-who-runs/

Quote:
For instance, Liz Pifer, a student at Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh, Pa., told TheDC that though she plans to vote in the midterm elections on Tuesday, she didn’t know who was running for Pennsylvania’s open Senate seat. She later said that she thought Joe Sestak was running, and that she’ll probably vote for him because he’s a Democrat. As for House candidates, she said, “I don’t know who’s running.”
Another said she had no idea who was running in her district.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
This is the best of the live blogging I've come across so far, with that very special British touch:

"The crowd shots now show it stretching all the way from near Congress, where the stage is, to nearly down to the Washington Monument – that's pretty good. Although compared to Obama's inauguration in 2009 that's pathetic. (That will be the Fox News analysis I'm guessing – although Fox is in fact just ignoring the whole thing today, as is their wont.)

It means it is hard to compare this rally with the Glenn Beck rally for size, because that was by the Lincoln Memorial."

Jon Stewart rally - as it happened | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Right?
All it would have takne was one, maybe two, people saying no to Bush Hitler mustache posters. Of course they wouldn't, and didn't.

Exactly. So what we can take from this is the Hitler mustache on Bush is okay but on Obama, not so much. Restoring sanity, huh?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Ever heard of parody? Showing the absurdity of some things?

Anyway, World Series is on.
oh, a parody. seems like that could be used as a blanket excuse for all kinds of behavior

from now on, anyone holding an obama-with-a-hitler-mustache sign will merely be parodying these signs.

right?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
oh, a parody. seems like that could be used as a blanket excuse for all kinds of behavior

from now on, anyone holding an obama-with-a-hitler-mustache sign will merely be parodying these signs.

right?
The two rally's were called:
Stewarts - Restore the Sanity
Colberts - Keep Fear Alive

It's not that some of you don't get it, you don't want to get it.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
The crowd shots now show it stretching all the way from near Congress, where the stage is
The stage was no where near the Capitol - there was a huge swath of green behind the stage, all the way back to the Capitol steps.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
The two rally's were called:
Stewarts - Restore the Sanity
Colberts - Keep Fear Alive

It's not that some of you don't get it, you don't want to get it.
i get that you're more than comfortable with an obvious double-standard.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:30 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:

right?
No, because people holding the Hitler mustache signs today realized how absurd the signs are.

The people holding signs in the past with Obama with Hitler mustache, or Bush with Hitler mustache, didn't realize how ridiculous the signs were. They thought they were making a valid political point about Obama. But they were really making a point about themselves. And hence, they get parodied like today.

Personally, when I see a poster of Obama as Hitler, it doesn't make me angry. It makes me laugh. Not at the sign, but at the sign holder.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
i get that you're more than comfortable with an obvious double-standard.
I get that you don't like it when the tables are turned and the right gets a dose of its own medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies