Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support government resources going toward the construction of high-speed trains?
Yes 51 66.23%
No 20 25.97%
Not sure 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,620,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Somehow, it has become fashionable to think that high-speed trains connecting major cities will help “save the planet.” They won’t. They’re a perfect example of wasteful spending masquerading as a respectable social cause. They would further burden already-overburdened governments and drain dollars from worthier programs—schools, defense, research.
Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek

I'm generally supportive of liberal and Democratic positions, but this is one area where I'm skeptical. Our cities have already been built mostly for automobile transportation. I do believe that crowded cities such as Los Angeles need more public transportation such as dedicated busways, but spending billions on high-speed rail systems to connect major cities seems like a waste of money.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 10-30-2010 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,659,793 times
I do not think that rail can be afforsd or pay for itself in this country really. Its will become a more important part of transportatrion of oggds which is much more efficent than moving people. But even that is not really likely considering the deficit how days. Commuter rail in specific locations is more likely as cities support it to bring workers from outlayiong areas to cities to stop the industry from moving with them as we see now.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 PM

914 posts, read 4,438,506 times
High speed rail is cheaper and more efficient that air travel. I don't think this should be our current number one priority at the moment (given current circumstances), but I do think it is important. We have a really big country, it would be great if we had better (and faster) rail system.

I used to take the train from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA all the time. It was nice not to have to deal with my car, but the train did add an extra hour to the commute (4 instead of 3 hours), and that was assuming we weren't delayed by passing freight trains, which happened often. (Fright trains always have the right-of-way over passenger trains.) I can see how rail is not a popular option in this country at the moment, but I really do think the public's perception would change if we had a system that was, you know, good.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,338,062 times
Hell yes. I like great big government spending construction projects. I like research and development also.

Much more stimulating to the economy than giving money to idiot bankers. NASA, high speed rail, research into green, and/or renewable energy, I like that stuff.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,797,896 times
I really support Intercity Rail corridors over HSR. The Northeastern Network will be restored to 1950 levels by 2040 , about 600 miles of that are Intercity Rail and 300 miles out that is True HSR. Intercity Rail is better investment for a starter up line or a line that will serve only Major towns and a few cities. HSR is good for connecting Larger Towns and Major cities. The Northeast will serve as a blue print for the Nation in HSR and other Rail travel. I mixed in the 2040 plans form Amtrak , NJT , SEPTA , NYSDOT , Penndot , MNRR , LIRR , MBTA , NHDOT , Conndot , VRE , MARC and DelDot for Rail Restoration and Expansion. Alot of these projects are cheap some only costing 35 million to restore and alot of these lines will add between 5-10,000 new Passengers. The Intercity lines will connect into the Diesel and Electric Commuter Rail making connections easier for one to make once he or she has arrived into the region.

Virginia

Current system size : 90 mi
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 116
added Miles of Diesel Rail / Intercity Rail : 517

New Hampshire

Current system size : 20
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 150
added miles of Intercity Rail : 74

New Jersey

Current system size : 570 mi
added Miles of DMU Rail : 160
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 567
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 133

Lower Hudson Valley

Current system size : 156 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 185
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78

Northeastern PA

Current system size : 0
added Miles of Diesel / Intercity Rail : 193

Southern Tier New York

Current system size : 0
added miles of Diesel : 59
added miles of Intercity Rail : 129

Upstate New York

Current system size : 460
added miles of Intercity Rail : 90

Long Island

Current system size : 700
added miles of Electrified Rail : 135

Southeastern PA

Current system size : 450
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 335
added Miles of DMU : 92
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108

Amish Country

Current system size : 50
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 36
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 47

Connecticut

Current system size : 132
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 248
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 74
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 58

Massachusetts

Current system size : 368
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 270
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 102
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 342

Maine

Current system size : 40
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 200

Delaware

Current system size : 20 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 249
added miles of Electrified Rail : 37

Maryland

Current system size : 187 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 111
added miles of Electrified Rail : 32

Rhode Island

Current system size : 30
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 76
added miles of Diesel Rail : 49

Current JCT cities - 2 or more lines meet in that city or Major town.

Newark
Philly
Rahway
Trenton
NYC
Boston
Springfield
Norristown
Lansdale
Baltimore
DC
Secaucus

Future JCT Cities

Harrisburg
Allentown
Philipsburg
Dover
New London
Worcester
Providence
Reading
Binghamton
Hartford
Waterbury
Danbury
Beacon
Wilmington
Fredrick
Newark,DE
Richmond
New Brunswick
Camden
Lynchburg

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,648,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
High speed rail is cheaper and more efficient that air travel. I don't think this should be our current number one priority at the moment (given current circumstances), but I do think it is important. We have a really big country, it would be great if we had better (and faster) rail system.

I used to take the train from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA all the time. It was nice not to have to deal with my car, but the train did add an extra hour to the commute (4 instead of 3 hours), and that was assuming we weren't delayed by passing freight trains, which happened often. (Fright trains always have the right-of-way over passenger trains.) I can see how rail is not a popular option in this country at the moment, but I really do think the public's perception would change if we had a system that was, you know, good.
Of course high speed rail is cheaper than air travel it takes many many times longer to travel...On what level do you mean high speed rail is more efficient? Fuel?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,519,245 times
Trains are cool.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM

783 posts, read 2,253,110 times
Rail takes passengers into the cities they are visiting. Air travel - even in places like Chicago and New York - means taking a car to the terminal, walking what seems like miles, then heading off to a destination where you have to be hauled miles again. The only exception to this is in the rare event you are heading to a meeting at the airport hotel.

Trains are more fuel efficient than planes, but it's not just the fuel used by the locomotive that matters. I can take a train to Chicago and when I get off the train I am right downtown. Chicago is a big city to be sure, but many tourist destinations are very close to the terminal. You can't land a plane in the middle of town, although both O'hare and LaGuardia both seem to be good attempts at doing so.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,809,612 times
"Mommy, can we ride the choo choo train? Oh, please!"

Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek

I'm generally supportive of liberal and Democratic positions, but this is one area where I'm skeptical. Our cities have already been built mostly for automobile transportation. I do believe that crowded cities such as Los Angeles need more public transportation such as dedicated busways, but spending billions on high-speed rail systems to connect major cities seems like a waste of money.
Actually, I think most cities still have their old rail beds from the heydays of rail travel. I don't think it would be that difficult to bring trains back to the heart of major cities. How many more cars can our cities handle, especially 20 years from now if we don't expand public transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies