U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,876,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
That's total BS. What you're seeing is a LACK OF ENOUGH JOBS and too many people needing jobs. Supply and demand. Not a big enough supply of JOBS.

And what is this "laziness" mantra so many people are chanting? Is it sheer terror that causes people to believe the illusion that unemployment is so high because people are LAZY?
It's easier to simply judge others rather than take a real look at what's going on out there.

What's ironic is it's the same group of people who bemoan the "downfall of this country" often use UE stats as means to verify their empty diatribes. Then in the next breath turn around and say that there's actually jobs out there for everybody.

They never realize, nor care, how much they contradict themselves. Either people are unable to find work because the economy has imploded or people are lazy, which one is it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,454,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is quite a leap, security at a government office = uprising.

Why not give Jesse Ventura a call or maybe catch him on Twitter?
I'll bet my next unemployment check he'd appreciate that call.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,622,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's easier to simply judge others rather than take a real look at what's going on out there.

What's ironic is it's the same group of people who bemoan the "downfall of this country" often use UE stats as means to verify their empty diatribes. Then in the next breath turn around and say that there's actually jobs out there for everybody.

They never realize, nor care, how much they contradict themselves. Either people are unable to find work because the economy has imploded or people are lazy, which one is it?
I know a few programmers out of work and collecting.
They are able to collect the max. They will not take any job, especially one that pays less than the max of UE per week. That's about $21K/year at $400/week. Others are contract jobs with no guarantee of steady employment. Why would they give up stability for instability ?
I can't blame them either.

There's no one cut and dry answer that everyone fits into.
High paid folks out of work just might be making more by staying on UE than taking a min wage job.

Mass. FYI can max out at $942/week or $49K/year.

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State | File Unemployment

Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM

14,105 posts, read 10,123,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Our tax dollars
What "dollars"?
There haven't been dollars in circulation, since 1933.
Do you mean "dollar bills"?

The notes authorized by Title 12 USC Sec. 411?

The same notes Congress repudiated in 1933?

The same notes that have "no par value" - worthless?

The same notes underwritten by 300 million enumerated "human resources" via FICA?

The same notes that can never pay debt?

And represent a portion of the 13+ trillion dollar public debt?

The same public debt that computes to a legal obligation to pay the creditor over 650 billion ounces of gold?
{World wide supply is estimated at only 5.3 billion ounces}

The same public debt that cannot be questioned, pursuant to clause 4, Amendment 14, USCON?

Phew - - - you had me worried, for a moment.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,610,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Isn't that all done online now ?
In Georgia it is. But if you wish, you can still go in person and fill it out on a computer there too.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
UE bennies enable the lazy to continue to be lazy.
Contrary to popular belief, there is plenty of work to be had out there, but why work for 7 or 8 bucks an hour to earn your money when you can stay home and get a buck or 2 a week for free?
Exactly.

Fast foods, and just about every major retailer are always hiring. Not that this is a viable option for an executive or anything, but for the average shmoe, it's a job, and has the potential to earn more per week than being on UE, but why bother going to work when you can mooch the free money every week within a buck or so of what you would make if you had to actually earn it?

The gov needs to tighten up on who gets the UE bennies.
Stop enabling the lazy and unmotivated slackers to continue being lazy and unmotivated slackers. Make the bennies available to those who TRULY need and appreciate it while THEY ARE REALLY OUT LOOKING FOR A JOB.
That is a lie. Nobody is hiring here. Nobody. Not McDonalds, not Burger King, not any retailer. You cannot even find a minimum wage gig here. I know people that have tried.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Just a question, how long do you think people should be entitled to receive UE compensation? Do you have a timeline, or is it just indefinite? At what point should people move off UE and onto welfare?

And, how do you expect the country to pay for endless UE when our leadership is doing nothing to create and grow jobs and the economy? Should we continue to print and borrow money to fund UE? Is that a logical solution in your opinion?
They should get it until the job market picks up to the point where people at least stand a chance of finding a job.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If the libs want to keep indefinitely extending UE benefits, what's wrong with forcing the recipients to donate some of their free, non-job seeking time to the communities? Surely, the unemployed are not job hunting 40 hours per week. I think it's prudent to ask them to contribute in some fashion in return for their UE benefits. Paying people to do nothing begets nothing.
I don't disagree with that idea a bit. The truly unemployed would not object to it either. If I ever was unemployed, I would have no problem with it at all myself. But to cut people off when the economy is still not making jobs is not acceptable.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM

7,525 posts, read 7,310,384 times
Quote:
So what do you think people are doing with their "free" time when not looking for a job? Have you tried looking for a job in, say, the past couple years? Do you have any idea how time-consuming it is?

Let me guess. You think folks that are out of work are going out to lunch with buddies, or on shopping trips, or maybe trips to the spa and salon for a day-treat when they're not looking for jobs?

Do you have any idea how stressful it might be to not have a job and to know that you're not going to be able to pay the bills unless you find a job because UNEMPLOYMENT checks don't come close to covering the expenses?

Just a note. FORCING people to "donate" time in exchange for unemployment benefits is not possible. FORCING people to do some work in exchange for a monetary benefit is called WORKING.
Yes, I have looked for a job within the past couple years. It does not consume 40 hours/week. Asking those who receive UE benefits to donate say 10 hours per week back to the community is a win-win situation for all. That can be a great way to network. You never know where you're next job offer may come from, and many volunteer opportunities can lead to full time paid positions.

I'm sorry, but if someone is unemployed for 2+ years, perhaps it's time to look at a career change? I know times are tough, but you have to make yourself marketable. Also, volunteer work looks very good on resumes. Haven't you read all the articles about employers hiring people who are already employed over hiring someone on UE? It sucks, but it's happening all the time.

Quote:
Quite frankly, my personal life is none of your business. If "she" wants to brag about all that she does, that's her business.

Btw, I would never dream of asking taxpayers to "fork over more money"........dear god, how would they be able to afford more designer shoes if they did that? lol
I guess you forgot how you insinuated that she was lacking in the compassion department? Here, allow me to refresh your memory:

Quote:
Look at the big picture. Also, would be helpful if folks could dig really, really deep and discover a bit of compassion........for they, too, may be in need sooner rather than later.
I didn't take her post as bragging one bit. She was merely defending herself against your claims and proving that she isn't the one lacking compassion and showing that there are ways to help out the less fortunate other than through mandatory forced contribution via taxation. When you cut the government out of the equation, a lot more of that help goes directly to the recipients in need. Add the government into the equation, and of course they take their cuts. Very inefficient.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,067,216 times
Quote:
That's total BS. What you're seeing is a LACK OF ENOUGH JOBS and too many people needing jobs. Supply and demand. Not a big enough supply of JOBS.

And what is this "laziness" mantra so many people are chanting? Is it sheer terror that causes people to believe the illusion that unemployment is so high because people are LAZY?
Really? I'm pretty sure retailers soliciting their customers to become employees means there are jobs that need to be filled. If there were such a surplus of employable and willing to be employed individuals that e-mail would be unneeded. I know personally people who say "if I can't get x amount of dollars I'm not going". That means they'd rather receive zero dollars and do nothing than work and get some.nThat to me is either stupid or lazy, or genius. Why break a sweat when there are plenty of working tax paying saps that will do it for me? Work smarter not harder right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies