Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,609,216 times

Advertisements

Large and highly profitable companies like Walmart should be required to pay at least $10 per hour. Raising the minimum wage is the best way to prevent even larger discrepancies between the rich and the poor in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,882,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why are you getting so angry about this?Where did you get that? Oh yeah, that is an old tactic, try another.

We are not talking about crap economic times, we are talking about normal economic times. Every statement I've made assumes that, b/c that's what the OP was referring to and that's what we've all been talking about this whole time. We are talking about ALL times, today is a relevant as any other if you want to only talk about good times you need to stipulate such. We are discussing the impact of minimum wages increases on unemployment, at any time. We both know you would be against raising the minimum wage at ANY time.

When I said that job sector was reserved for a certain demographic, I did not mean literally, but yes, that's what min wage has come to mean in modern times. Nobody should be trying to support a family while working a min wage job, it is no longer meant to keep people out of poverty, but a way for the gov't to determine how much money it can spend and get the taxpayers further into debt.Minumum wages were set in attempt to keep business from paying their employees slave wages and attempt to reduce the poverty rate. It was not setup for a select group. I agree no one should be working minimum wage jobs to support their family but if that is all that is available, if they even are, then that is what one must do.
Right, they mandate how much one must pay, they are mandating the low end of that scale.Correct, not how much you have to pay, but when it comes to an business they are told they can pay no less than a set number. Glad you got that point.

As to your last couple statements, I suppose you also support unions, and will kowtow to them for helping out American workers so much.
You would be apsolutely wrong, once again. I have a distaste for unions, except in very few rare cases. I do give unions credit for forcing those running sweat shops to pay better wages and providing benefits to their employees, if you are against such things and would prefer to run your own little sweat shop so be it.

You are choosing to put words in my mouth and make assumptions b/c you do not want to see the truth. You have no idea my vision for America until you open your eyes and fully comprehend what I'm talking about.
Excuse me, but isn't that just what you attempted to do to me in your statement above. As for the truth, it is you that is continuing to do as I said would happen when I first posted on this thread, making excuses for why you or other business owners should not have to pay one red cent more than you do already, I have to assume you would rather reduce their wages, none of your excuses are valid. The Obvious Fact that you missed is that minimum wage has been raised in the past and guess what, the horror movie you and others here try and say will play out never does. History as proven your claims to be false before the discussion even began, but thanks for playing it is always good to know what other people visions for America are, no thanks I'll pass on yours.
Casper

Old 12-31-2010, 07:56 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,155,726 times
Default wrong Answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I have 0 interest in reading 17 pages, so I'll simply state this:

In Washington, the minimum wage is pushing 9 dollars an hour. Companies out here do just fine. In fact, we have one of the strongest economies and job markets in the entire country. We also don't pay any more for goods or services than any other place, by and large (and I know, I've lived in a great many places).

Any company that utilizes minimum wage talent as its primary workforce, and who tries to claim that increasing the minimum wage is somehow harming them, falls into one of two categories:

1) The companies that are lying about the hardship or
2) The companies with severely flawed business models

I'm sorry, but if the difference between your success and your failure is whether you have to pay your labor 6 dollars an hour or 7.25, you need to re-evaluate your business.

This is a common sense issue. If you come to me and say "Unions are killing our company"? That's one thing. Odds are you are paying way too much for labor and other perks for your workers. If you come to me and say "that extra 1.25 an hour for 6 employees is killing my business", then all I can say is your business sucks.

If people up here in Washington can pay everybody at least 9 and succeed, than you should be able to pay 7.25
Washington state is 8.55 an hour.

Below is a link to cost of living. You will see that the cost of living in Washington is much more than the cost of living in Virginia. Why is that? People have to be paid more, so businesses have to charge more. Because businesses have to charge more, everything costs more, and of course, you get to pay more...

Again folks, economics 101. It's not rocket science. Every state that has their own minimum wage that is higher than federal minimum wage, with the sole exception of Illinois. However in Illinois, under 18 is paid 50 cents an hour less, and people who receive tips can be paid $4.95 an hour and employers may claim credit for tips, up to 40% of wage.

Oh and people not covered are below including day laborers, temp workers, anyone in the 1st 90 days of employment, they are all paid 50 cents an hour less.
"Employee" includes any individual permitted to work by an employer in an occupation, but does not include any individual permitted to work:
For an employer employing fewer than 4 employees exclusive of the employer's parent, spouse or child or other members of his immediate family.
(2) As an employee employed in agriculture or
aquaculture (A) if such employee is employed by an employer who did not, during any calendar quarter during the preceding calendar year, use more than 500 man‑days of agricultural or aquacultural labor, (B) if such employee is the parent, spouse or child, or other member of the employer's immediate family, (C) if such employee (i) is employed as a hand harvest laborer and is paid on a piece rate basis in an operation which has been, and is customarily and generally recognized as having been, paid on a piece rate basis in the region of employment, (ii) commutes daily from his permanent residence to the farm on which he is so employed, and (iii) has been employed in agriculture less than 13 weeks during the preceding calendar year, (D) if such employee (other than an employee described in clause (C) of this subparagraph): (i) is 16 years of age or under and is employed as a hand harvest laborer, is paid on a piece rate basis in an operation which has been, and is customarily and generally recognized as having been, paid on a piece rate basis in the region of employment, (ii) is employed on the same farm as his parent or person standing in the place of his parent, and (iii) is paid at the same piece rate as employees over 16 are paid on the same farm.
(3) In domestic service in or about a private home.
(4) As an outside salesman.
(5) As a member of a religious corporation or
organization.
(6) At an accredited Illinois college or university
employed by the college or university at which he is a student who is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as heretofore or hereafter amended.
(7) For a motor carrier and with respect to whom the
U.S. Secretary of Transportation has the power to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service under the provisions of Title 49 U.S.C. or the State of Illinois under Section 18b‑105 (Title 92 of the Illinois Administrative Code, Part 395 ‑ Hours of Service of Drivers) of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
The above exclusions from the term "employee" may be further defined by regulations of the Director.
(e) "Occupation" means an industry, trade, business or class of work in which employees are gainfully employed.
(f) "Gratuities" means voluntary monetary contributions to an employee from a guest, patron or customer in connection with services rendered.
(g) "Outside salesman" means an employee regularly engaged in making sales or obtaining orders or contracts for services where a major portion of such duties are performed away from his employer's place of business.
(h) "Day camp" means a seasonal recreation program in operation for no more than 16 weeks intermittently throughout the calendar year, accommodating for profit or under philanthropic or charitable auspices, 5 or more children under 18 years of age, not including overnight programs. The term "day camp" does not include a "day care agency", "child care facility" or "foster family home" as licensed by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
(Source: P.A. 94‑1025, eff. 7‑14‑06; 95‑945, eff. 1‑1‑09.)

Cost of Living by State

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM

3,028 posts, read 4,982,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
and where can all this be had?
How about NYC?

Apartment for $300: Bunkbed in a cool crashpad for working male/student (http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/roo/2136965057.html - broken link)
If you go for $400/month, you can have your own room: Furnished Room, Including Utilities (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/roo/2136062492.html - broken link)

NYC Metro card (30 day unlimited) $104: MTA/New York City Transit - Fares and MetroCard

Food:
50lbs rice (good for about 2 months) @ $25 = $12.50/month
Chicken thighs ($1/lbs, 1lbs/day) = $30/month
Vegetables ($1/lbs, try the ethnic markets, 1lbs/day) = $30/month
Extra (oil, seasonings, etc) = $10/month
Total $82.50/month

Dial up $10: Cheap Internet Service - Internet Access $9.95/Month - NetZero or
Affordable & Reliable Dial up Internet Services Provider | Copper.net

What's so unreasonable about this?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,667,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Large and highly profitable companies like Walmart should be required to pay at least $10 per hour. Raising the minimum wage is the best way to prevent even larger discrepancies between the rich and the poor in the future.

Are you could just take most of the money away from the rich so there would be little or no gap. We could eliminate the gap and have all of us living in poverty. But, we would achieve your objective of eliminating the gap.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,176,606 times
Quote:
Do you understand math or economics at all?

When you raise the wage, prices go up. So you've basically done nothing but devalue a dollar.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,086,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You can't live on min. wage alone even in most places.
Tell me how.

Or rather, I'll tell you how it IS possible.

If you make $7.25/hr and you work 38 hours a week, that equates to $278/week gross, and your taxes would be pretty much negligible. That's about $1000 a month, with an extra paycheck every three months. Say you have a cash car and thus no car payment, your rent is say $500 (which is a lot, it's prob better to share an apartment with a roommate in this case), you have $50 in food each week, like $40 in gas each week (assume about one tank is used), and then $45 for a cell phone. Your electric bill would be pretty small, maybe $100 at the most for a one bedroom. Those, to me, are necessities.

Then you have luxuries like cable and Internet, which would add to about $100/mo.

Am I forgetting anything?

That all adds up to $965 in necessities and then another $100 if you want cable and Internet, which you wouldn't be able to afford in this case.

These expenses could be further reduced by choosing a place with utilities included, living with a roommate, conserving on gas by combining trips and not driving like a maniac, and making good food choices at the grocery store.

Thus, you COULD get by on min wage if it was just you (or if you're a couple who are both working full time at min wage and dividing your bills, you'd be even better off). You wouldn't have a nice life, you wouldn't really be able to get ahead, you wouldn't be able to save for retirement, but yeah, you could get by, you could LIVE just fine making min wage if you work full time and keep your expenses low.

I realize that many places have a higher COL but in all three cities I've lived in, housing could definitely be had for $500 a month or even less if you split a 2 bedroom apartment with someone. In municipalities where the COL is higher, min wage is often higher as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I have 0 interest in reading 17 pages, so I'll simply state this:

In Washington, the minimum wage is pushing 9 dollars an hour. Companies out here do just fine. In fact, we have one of the strongest economies and job markets in the entire country. We also don't pay any more for goods or services than any other place, by and large (and I know, I've lived in a great many places).

Any company that utilizes minimum wage talent as its primary workforce, and who tries to claim that increasing the minimum wage is somehow harming them, falls into one of two categories:

1) The companies that are lying about the hardship or
2) The companies with severely flawed business models

I'm sorry, but if the difference between your success and your failure is whether you have to pay your labor 6 dollars an hour or 7.25, you need to re-evaluate your business.

This is a common sense issue. If you come to me and say "Unions are killing our company"? That's one thing. Odds are you are paying way too much for labor and other perks for your workers. If you come to me and say "that extra 1.25 an hour for 6 employees is killing my business", then all I can say is your business sucks.

If people up here in Washington can pay everybody at least 9 and succeed, than you should be able to pay 7.25
I have a serious disagreement with this. Have you seen the number of employees in McDonald's? Many of them are open 24 hours as well. If you have to pay an extra 50 cents for each labor hour, that could be crippling even to a giant like McDonald's, not to mention the extra payroll taxes. Are you saying McDonald's has a faulty business plan?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
The 'raising minimum wage' nay-sayers are those who have an excess of 'extras'. When appreciation for working Americans returns, count on the excess of extras becoming the necessities that these Americans will have. The excesses, owned by these nay-saying, fear mongering, money hoarders will be exterminated. A heavy reduction for government assistance will emerge. A great sense of appreciation among America's 'working' will reintroduce a PROUD American heritage.

Financial fear-mongering is soon to be a thing of the past.
Hmm. How do you know where each of us has been? You don't know our histories, so you are not one to say that the only reason we are "naysaying" is b/c we have "extras" in life. I actually wrote an op-ed on this topic when I was 19 at the University of Florida, it was published in the college newspaper...and guess what? I felt the same way that as I do now, 8 years later.

It's all basic economic theory.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Spread the wealth around, eh? Tell me why someone scanning products has earned $10/hr. That is ridiculous. Pay is based on merit, not on what the company makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies