Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,093,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Excuse me, but isn't that just what you attempted to do to me in your statement above. As for the truth, it is you that is continuing to do as I said would happen when I first posted on this thread, making excuses for why you or other business owners should not have to pay one red cent more than you do already, I have to assume you would rather reduce their wages, none of your excuses are valid. The Obvious Fact that you missed is that minimum wage has been raised in the past and guess what, the horror movie you and others here try and say will play out never does. History as proven your claims to be false before the discussion even began, but thanks for playing it is always good to know what other people visions for America are, no thanks I'll pass on yours.
Casper
We are talking about normal economic times. You cannot compare these times to normal ones. I don't need to stipulate anything, did you not even read the article or the rest of the posts??

Yes, I would be against raising the minimum wage at any time, I am against having a minimum wage PERIOD.

I never said the entire purpose of implementing the first min wage was for a select group. Except for maybe the poor, come to think of it. Please tell me where I said that. But you are not on this earth if you honestly believe that min wage jobs are for everyone in this day and age (modern times, I'm not referring to the economy in the shape its in right now). Tell me why an older person should be working for min wage, ASIDE FROM DURING A RECESSION SUCH AS THE ONE WE ARE TRYING TO PULL OURSELVES OUT OF WITH UE HOVERING AROUND 10%.

I have no sweat shop and I resent your accusation as a business owner.

No, I was not putting words in your mouth, I was putting 2 and 2 together with what you said about slave wages, since that is the entire premise that unions were founded upon. I see no point to unions in any way, shape or form. Therefore, we disagree on that point as well.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, I am pointing out ECONOMIC FACTS. You should read up on economic theory sometime, then maybe you would understand. I have no idea what we would pay, but considering the fact that most of our people are high school kids and this is their first job, why should we pay them even $7.25/hr?

If history has proved me wrong, please provide a link. Oh, but wait, there have been numerous links already posted that PROVE YOU WRONG. Please go back and reread, or maybe read for the fist time. I'm betting you ignored those links b/c you don't agree with what they have to say.

Read up on inflation while you're at it, and wage inflation, maybe then you'll understand.

If you read any of what I've written, read this: The market will take care of itself. Nobody will work for a wage they do not feel is fair. It's as simple as that. If we do away with min wage, there is always going to be someone who will work for next to nothing. That is not the fault of the business owner. If I put a job out there and state I am paying X wage, nobody is going to come apply if they don't like that wage. Only people who are okay with that wage will come. Why is this so hard to understand?

I have no more response to you since you are choosing to ignore facts and read what has been said here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Large and highly profitable companies like Walmart should be required to pay at least $10 per hour. Raising the minimum wage is the best way to prevent even larger discrepancies between the rich and the poor in the future.
Then why not $80 an hour? Then everyone would have more money to spend. No working person would be poor.

Or why stop at $80? If there are no downsides to minumum wages being brought up, why do it so piecemeal? Just hike them up high.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Washington state is 8.55 an hour.

Below is a link to cost of living. You will see that the cost of living in Washington is much more than the cost of living in Virginia. Why is that? People have to be paid more, so businesses have to charge more. Because businesses have to charge more, everything costs more, and of course, you get to pay more...

Again folks, economics 101. It's not rocket science. Every state that has their own minimum wage that is higher than federal minimum wage, with the sole exception of Illinois. However in Illinois, under 18 is paid 50 cents an hour less, and people who receive tips can be paid $4.95 an hour and employers may claim credit for tips, up to 40% of wage.

Oh and people not covered are below including day laborers, temp workers, anyone in the 1st 90 days of employment, they are all paid 50 cents an hour less.
"Employee" includes any individual permitted to work by an employer in an occupation, but does not include any individual permitted to work:
For an employer employing fewer than 4 employees exclusive of the employer's parent, spouse or child or other members of his immediate family.
(2) As an employee employed in agriculture or
aquaculture (A) if such employee is employed by an employer who did not, during any calendar quarter during the preceding calendar year, use more than 500 man‑days of agricultural or aquacultural labor, (B) if such employee is the parent, spouse or child, or other member of the employer's immediate family, (C) if such employee (i) is employed as a hand harvest laborer and is paid on a piece rate basis in an operation which has been, and is customarily and generally recognized as having been, paid on a piece rate basis in the region of employment, (ii) commutes daily from his permanent residence to the farm on which he is so employed, and (iii) has been employed in agriculture less than 13 weeks during the preceding calendar year, (D) if such employee (other than an employee described in clause (C) of this subparagraph): (i) is 16 years of age or under and is employed as a hand harvest laborer, is paid on a piece rate basis in an operation which has been, and is customarily and generally recognized as having been, paid on a piece rate basis in the region of employment, (ii) is employed on the same farm as his parent or person standing in the place of his parent, and (iii) is paid at the same piece rate as employees over 16 are paid on the same farm.
(3) In domestic service in or about a private home.
(4) As an outside salesman.
(5) As a member of a religious corporation or
organization.
(6) At an accredited Illinois college or university
employed by the college or university at which he is a student who is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as heretofore or hereafter amended.
(7) For a motor carrier and with respect to whom the
U.S. Secretary of Transportation has the power to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service under the provisions of Title 49 U.S.C. or the State of Illinois under Section 18b‑105 (Title 92 of the Illinois Administrative Code, Part 395 ‑ Hours of Service of Drivers) of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
The above exclusions from the term "employee" may be further defined by regulations of the Director.
(e) "Occupation" means an industry, trade, business or class of work in which employees are gainfully employed.
(f) "Gratuities" means voluntary monetary contributions to an employee from a guest, patron or customer in connection with services rendered.
(g) "Outside salesman" means an employee regularly engaged in making sales or obtaining orders or contracts for services where a major portion of such duties are performed away from his employer's place of business.
(h) "Day camp" means a seasonal recreation program in operation for no more than 16 weeks intermittently throughout the calendar year, accommodating for profit or under philanthropic or charitable auspices, 5 or more children under 18 years of age, not including overnight programs. The term "day camp" does not include a "day care agency", "child care facility" or "foster family home" as licensed by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
(Source: P.A. 94‑1025, eff. 7‑14‑06; 95‑945, eff. 1‑1‑09.)

Cost of Living by State
Like I said, it's "pushing" 9 an hour. And, like I said, it doesn't cost anything more to acquire a good or service up here than anywhere else. A Big Mac combo up here is the same price as one in Texarkana. The food is the same price. The video games are the same price, etc.

So again I say, if we can pay almost 9 (it's going up to some level tomorrow), then other people can pay 7.25

Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have a serious disagreement with this. Have you seen the number of employees in McDonald's? Many of them are open 24 hours as well. If you have to pay an extra 50 cents for each labor hour, that could be crippling even to a giant like McDonald's, not to mention the extra payroll taxes. Are you saying McDonald's has a faulty business plan?
And yet the McDonald's franchises (and all other franchises here in the area) all flourish. And yet none of the gas station franchise owners are shutting down their pumps or charging more for the items in the convenience store. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,159,269 times
Default And again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Like I said, it's "pushing" 9 an hour. And, like I said, it doesn't cost anything more to acquire a good or service up here than anywhere else. A Big Mac combo up here is the same price as one in Texarkana. The food is the same price. The video games are the same price, etc.

So again I say, if we can pay almost 9 (it's going up to some level tomorrow), then other people can pay 7.25
I point out that every single state with the sole exception of 1, (And I already provided the link), which has so many exceptions to it's own minimum wage laws, has a higher cost of living than states that have the federal minimum wage.

If the cost of living where you live is higher than elsewhere, you are paying more. It is NOT the same price, if the cost to live there is more than here. How can I explain that any more simply?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have no more response to you since you are choosing to ignore facts and read what has been said here.
That is pretty much what already said, you have no arguement. Oh and just because you say so does not actually mean you have proven anything. As for what you are running or not running, I can only go by what you have posted and the fact that you have a very strong opposition to a minumum wage in any way, you see it as one thing, I see as another, enough said.
Happy New Year,
Casper

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM

131 posts, read 208,764 times
Retail and food service are stressful, stressful jobs. How much do the dips from HR at the last factory job I had (six people in HR for a company with 100 people?) deserve for filling out forms and interviewing somebody every few days?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,888 times
In my personal experience, paying over minimum wage does not attract better employees. I have had to let people go who were paid well above minimim wage because those people had no concept of work ethic - ie show up to work on time, don't text on company time, have pride in your work product. These people gave great interview but could not perform satisfactorily in the workplace. I would have to say that the people I had to lay off contributed to unemployment even if they were not able to collect benefits.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,553,886 times
As the nation's number two franchise for upwards of twenty years, McDonalds has been doing much better over the past five years than in the previous fifteen thanks to the introduction of many new and pricier menu items, all of which have been geared to get more adults into their restaurants, as opposed to chains such as Wendy's whose typical patron spends more per visit than any other fast-food chain.

Corporations such as McDonalds can absorb those increases in minimum wage laws simply by raising their prices; that's not rocket science.

To suggest that Walmart be required to pay their employees $10.00/hour is extremely idiotic as well; they know how much they can pay their employees better than any outsider or government goon in order to run a successful and profitable business.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,264,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I still don't see the point of being able to support yourself on minimum wage. It's for starter jobs, the kind you often have while still in school. Nobody has to move out on their own immediately, with their first unskilled job. That's what roommates are for. Never mind supporting a family, that's just ridiculous. You work, you learn, you do better, you get promotions and raises and prove yourself...THEN you go off and live. The fact that some folks want, or think they NEED, to support themselves with their very first "no experience required" job doesn't mean squat. People want, or think they NEED, many things but it's not reasonable to expect them to get it all.

However, if it did come to that then the minimum wage in CA would be a hell of a lot higher than the minimum wage in Nebraska.
It is just your opinion that minimum wage are starter jobs. For many people these are there careers. Even with roomates you usually can only afford an apartment in a run down part of town. There is no guarentee that you work hard you will get a raise many times you get the opposite of a raise you get laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies