Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Internet can be had for as little as $15-20 a month.
I wonder if some individuals qualify for free internet like they have free cell phones..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM

379 posts, read 211,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Never worked for minimum wage in my life, including when I worked for McDonalds. I valued myself more and dont believe I should work for "minimum".. its a shame so many others settle for bottom..

Minimum wage laws are never beneficial because they make it increasingly difficult for those with less education, less experience, those who are poor, young, etc to get a new job.. Its harmful to the middle class who sees their middle class life style dwindle away as it further separates the top and the bottom.. Thats why unemployment among the teens are so high. Why would I hire a teen at $x, if I can hire a 30 year old at $x and pay them the exact same. Before the 30 year old wouldnt "settle" for less but now they have no choice..

In addition, every time you increase minimum wage, you encourage companies to computerize, to outsource, to move factories, production etc.. Look at your grocery stores, its more economical for them to pay $100K for a cash register than pay employees minimum wage now.. Increase the cost of doing business and businesses will find ways to cut others.. Yes, this includes laying off and getting rid of employees..

There have been numerous of reports to display the damage caused by higher minimum wage... Does The Minimum Wage Increase Unemployment?
Ahhh, maybe you should share with us out you "out-witted" the powers that be at McDonalds so that you could work for them for more than minimum wage. How much above minimum wage did you negotiate with them?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I did at one point but paid my dues and worked towards a comfortable living. McDonald's isn't a good career choice.
We are not all created equal when it comes to brain power. Some people will never be able to work at jobs beyond the McDonald's type jobs.....so I guess the are doomed to live live less comfortably. And if we didn't have minimum wages, then they may have to live life in enormous discomfort and pain.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
Ahhh, maybe you should share with us out you "out-witted" the powers that be at McDonalds so that you could work for them for more than minimum wage. How much above minimum wage did you negotiate with them?
No outwitting involved, majority of americans didnt work for minimum wage, including those that work at fast food joints..
Quote:
We are not all created equal when it comes to brain power. Some people will never be able to work at jobs beyond the McDonald's type jobs.....so I guess the are doomed to live live less comfortably. And if we didn't have minimum wages, then they may have to live life in enormous discomfort and pain.
You admit that everyone isnt equal, which makes me wonder why you think they should be paid equal..

Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
So what will be the price of products in 10 years? Do you think that the minimum wage will increase but not everything else?
Of course everything else will increase.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
REALLY? Where is that?

You do know that minimum wage is about $7.25 or $7.50 per hour, don't you?
At&t.

Minimum wage is $8.25 in Illinois.

About 3 hours of minimum wage pay (minus taxes) pays for a month of internet. I do not see how it is impossible to afford.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No outwitting involved, majority of americans didnt work for minimum wage, including those that work at fast food joints..

You admit that everyone isnt equal, which makes me wonder why you think they should be paid equal..
So you think that everyone works for minimum wage? I don't think that everyone should be paid EQUAL. I think there should be a "lowest" wage in a civilized society like ours.

How did you get the idea that I think everyone should be paid "equal"? That just doesn't even make sense.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
At&t.

Minimum wage is $8.25 in Illinois.

About 3 hours of minimum wage pay (minus taxes) pays for a month of internet. I do not see how it is impossible to afford.
And housing, and food, and health insurance, and transportation costs, and utilities.........even $8.25 doesn't go very far in terms of just the basic costs of survival.

Obvioulsy, you've never had to try to support your family on a minimum wage job.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I wonder if some individuals qualify for free internet like they have free cell phones..
It is getting to the point where some places are trying to do that.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
It is getting to the point where some places are trying to do that.
Where? What places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies