Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,922,861 times

Advertisements

There may be a wave today. The Republicans may control the house tomorrow...not a Tsunami but a wave. There may be another wave in 2012 with the Republicans controlling all branches of government...not a Tsunami.
The Tsunami is likely to come, but not as a result of the tea party or any other organization. The catalyst for the Tsunami is going to be a major depression similar to that of the great depression. Which ever party is in control when this happens is going to be blamed. I believe our political system will be completely changed when the Tsunami hits.

When people can't feed their families...that is the Tsunami. People will not vote or act based ideology. They will act based on how are they going to get their basic needs met.

The Tsunami is coming. The U.S. economy is no more than a giant Ponzi scheme, which like any other Ponzi scheme will unravel. We are actually in a slow slide to the unraveling now. If true conservatives...reduce taxes and spending are successfull in taking power and make wholesale changes, the artificial economy that is being fueled by federal debt and consumer debt will be pulled out and then the economy will be set for a free fall...then there will be a Tsunami. I would not want to be the party in power when this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times
a lot of people have been saying this for years.... I was not one of them.

but more people are coming to believe this and I do happen to be moving in this direction.

The really really really bad stuff isnt here.... yet. it might be coming.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Tell you what, I will move you, your family and all your stuff to Europe, if you don't like the direction we are fixing to go. No cost to you. You have to promise not to comeback for 25 years.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,603,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There may be a wave today. The Republicans may control the house tomorrow...not a Tsunami but a wave. There may be another wave in 2012 with the Republicans controlling all branches of government...not a Tsunami.
The Tsunami is likely to come, but not as a result of the tea party or any other organization. The catalyst for the Tsunami is going to be a major depression similar to that of the great depression. Which ever party is in control when this happens is going to be blamed. I believe our political system will be completely changed when the Tsunami hits.

When people can't feed their families...that is the Tsunami. People will not vote or act based ideology. They will act based on how are they going to get their basic needs met.

The Tsunami is coming. The U.S. economy is no more than a giant Ponzi scheme, which like any other Ponzi scheme will unravel. We are actually in a slow slide to the unraveling now. If true conservatives...reduce taxes and spending are successfull in taking power and make wholesale changes, the artificial economy that is being fueled by federal debt and consumer debt will be pulled out and then the economy will be set for a free fall...then there will be a Tsunami. I would not want to be the party in power when this happens.
Honestly? I would agree if not for the fact that President Skippy came in and promised to save the day. He promised the stimulus would prevent 8% unemployment. He promised a "summer of recovery".

He's been shown to be a charlatan. What's going to hurt him is that he specifically gave us something to measure him on -- the unemployment rate. He also jacked up the debt big time with this HCR garbage.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
a lot of people have been saying this for years.... I was not one of them.

but more people are coming to believe this and I do happen to be moving in this direction.

The really really really bad stuff isnt here.... yet. it might be coming.
Well who is really addressing the underlying problems? Repub...Demo...neither.

I have not heard one candidate have a concrete way to fix Social Security...there are only two options either reduce entitlement. i.e. raise the minimum age or raise taxes...i.e increase withholding.

Oh yeah people will say privatize, but that would require double the money since the money people paid in is already gone.

Trade inbalance - what is the plan to reduce it. Have not heard crap from either side.

Pay down the debt - how do you do that without raising taxes or cutting programs. The two largest programs are Social Security and Defense neither party is talking about cutting those programs and if you do you eliminate a lot of jobs and money people need to feed themselves.

The tea party is making all of these ideology issues, but it is and always has been the economy, which Obama has done very little about.

It is coming.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,638,996 times
Keeping unemployment below 10 to 15% WAS a victory. Without the stimulus the rate would have been between 15 to 50%. If the Republicans control the House I expect their obstructionism will create the economic failure for the low and middle classes they desire. Poor folks were getting too uppity for the proper people.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Keeping unemployment below 10 to 15% WAS a victory. Without the stimulus the rate would have been between 15 to 50%. If the Republicans control the House I expect their obstructionism will create the economic failure for the low and middle classes they desire. Poor folks were getting too uppity for the proper people.
That is why I say that we are on a slow fall. The infusion of federal funds only slowed the fall. You can't continue to have federal infusion without completely killing the dollar. True recovery will not take place until the financial underpinnings are strengthened. THis requires having a trade surplus instead of a trade deficit. As long as we consume more than we produce we are screwed. I have not heard one candidate talk about this. I guess it does not fit into a sound bite.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,662,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Tell you what, I will move you, your family and all your stuff to Europe, if you don't like the direction we are fixing to go. No cost to you. You have to promise not to comeback for 25 years.
As if Europe had any interest in letting in American rats leaving their sinking ship
What a strange notion that Americans either have to think your way or leave...

Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Keeping unemployment below 10 to 15% WAS a victory. Without the stimulus the rate would have been between 15 to 50%.
Wow. You've been duped. That's not what the Obama admin said...

Obama spent nearly $1 Trillion on his stimulus. Where's our 8% unemployment rate?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As if Europe had any interest in letting in American rats leaving their sinking ship
What a strange notion that Americans either have to think your way or leave...
I do like his offer though. I will need an immigration visa though. He or she will need to take care of that as well. My stuff includes about 250 acres so I will need that moved as well or he could purchase 250 equivalent acres that would be just fine with me. It is very difficult to get a permanant visa to Europe. I would imagine the poster probably has never applied for any type of visa.

The fact that may have escaped the poster is that.... so goes the U.S. so goes the rest of the world. There really would not be a great place to go with a collapse of the U.S. economy. Because the U.S. is the biggest consumer per capita, if we lose the ability to purchase then a lot of other countries economies will be ever worse than ours. That my friend is the Tsunami. There will be no good place to go to. My post was not an anti-american rant, but just sounding the alarm to a world wide...Tsunami.

However, it can be fixed. The problem is that no candidates are even mentioning the pending crisis, just as no politicians issued any kind of warning before our latest financial disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies