Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you allow your child to drive in a car with someone who you know talks on they're cell while d
Yes 10 18.18%
No 45 81.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I cannot talk on the phone and drive safely. What I can do is drink alcohol and drive safely, so I gave up cell phones.

Just kidding. I stopped drinking a year ago and my liver thanks me every day by allowing my blood sugar levels to be under control wihtout medication.

BTW - I see some stunningly dumb driving regardles of weather the driver is using a phone or not. I particularly like someone turning left across my bow from the right hand lane without using a turn signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I cannot talk on the phone and drive safely. What I can do is drink alcohol and drive safely, so I gave up cell phones.

Just kidding. I stopped drinking a year ago and my liver thanks me every day by allowing my blood sugar levels to be under control wihtout medication.

BTW - I see some stunningly dumb driving regardles of weather the driver is using a phone or not. I particularly like someone turning left across my bow from the right hand lane without using a turn signal.

LOL...whatever, I still love ya...

drive safe....

Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
I am strongly against driving and cell phone use. Two days ago I had a woman in a mini van loaded with kids roll right through a stop sign right into the path of my truck. I usually go well below the speed limit in that intersection that heads into a sports complex due to the amount of children often present. The speed limit is 35 mph but I try to do 25, lucky for her, the kids and me that day I was doing my usual 25. Most people do in excess of the 35 and if one of them had hit her, I hate to think what could have happened to the kids in a t boned mini van. All she did when I honked my horn was roll down her window, throw her hands up and say " I'm sorry ". I replied, " sorry? you did not even slow down for the stop sign ". I see this kind of driving every day. A parent endangering theirs and other's kids should lose their license to drive till they take a safe driving class.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Is it any more distracting than talking to a passanger? Or especially a car full of kids?

yes it is.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
maybe you can, but you haven't seen the countless times people have been or have created accidents b/c they can't.....or drive way to slow, b/c they are consentrating on what the person is saying rather then consentrating on the road, your reaction time is not as quick....

would you talk on the cell phone while transporting other people's kids in yoru car?

so true, they are too focused to the person on the other end.

example, our corner 2 weeks ago, young girl talking on the cell, conveniently missed the stop sign on our corner, smashed into 2 cars, one of which went up onto the curb, and hit a parked car in the driveway.....

gee, ya think it could have been because she was talking to someone on a cell, and wasn't paying attention to the road, therefore not stopping at the STOP sign, thus causing a 4 car accident, and the poor people that had their car parked on a driveway, for safety no doubt, was smashed.

ya think, maybe thats what happend???????

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I am strongly against driving and cell phone use. Two days ago I had a woman in a mini van loaded with kids roll right through a stop sign right into the path of my truck. I usually go well below the speed limit in that intersection that heads into a sports complex due to the amount of children often present. The speed limit is 35 mph but I try to do 25, lucky for her, the kids and me that day I was doing my usual 25. Most people do in excess of the 35 and if one of them had hit her, I hate to think what could have happened to the kids in a t boned mini van. All she did when I honked my horn was roll down her window, throw her hands up and say " I'm sorry ". I replied, " sorry? you did not even slow down for the stop sign ". I see this kind of driving every day. A parent endangering theirs and other's kids should lose their license to drive till they take a safe driving class.
I agree....oft times I wonder if they're giving free licenses out at Pep Boys with a set of tires?

all kidding aside, there is no way I'd allow my child in a car with someone who uses a cell phone while driving...there are way to many other hazards out there that can happen without amplifying it with a cell....

Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes it is.
Only if not on a hands free device.

Holding a phone up to your head, or struggling to listen to speaker phone while driving down the road is very distracting. Most everyone has done it, but it shouldn't be done all the time, and especially during high traffic situations.

That said, with a bluetooth audio headset or a stereo hands free kit I don't see how its different. I've seen some studies that say otherwise, but they don't go into detail about what phone they are using, what kind of hands free they are using, the age of the drivers, the situations they are putting them under.

IMO, if we are going to outlaw cell phones while driving, then we'll have to outlaw everything that could be a distraction while driving, like eating, or the radio, talking to passengers. I guess we'll have to put children in a special sound proof bubble where we can't hear them while driving. What parent hasn't fumbled around for a bottle driving down the road?

Really, millions of people talk on a hands free device while driving daily. Out of those millions we hear of what, hundreds that have accidents?

Legislate the consequence, not the action.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes
No

Would you allow your children to be in a car of someone who you know talks on they're cell phone while driving...

the other night, I saw a woman driving her van full of kids, probably home from some game, and she was on a cell phone, and could hardly turn the corner while talking on the cell....sheeesh, I swear they should arrest these people. And putting a child's life in danger like that?
I would probably but not if they were texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies