Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

I agree this is a step in the right direction but to claim it as evidence Obama has reformed the visa system is disingenuous at best.

It's HARDLY a "reform" - ALL (or 99%) visa fees rose this year.

How the hell is that a "reform" in any way? A REAL reform would be making H1B visas true NON immigrant visas and take away their "dual intent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's probably my biggest disappointment with Obama, that he never has come out and spoken honestly with us about the illegal immigration situation. I'm sure our government is in collusion with Mexico's government about this, but I just don't understand why.
I agree with you but right now the economy and jobs are overwhelming the top concerned of the country and what Obama is working on. On numerous polls i've seen left and right, illegal immigration is at the bottom of the list of concerns.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,403 times
Obama is the biggest disapointment this country has ever seen.
this trip him and his entourage is on is disgusting and an embarrassment to this country.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's HARDLY a "reform" - ALL (or 99%) visa fees rose this year.

How the hell is that a "reform" in any way? A REAL reform would be making H1B visas true NON immigrant visas and take away their "dual intent".
Who called it a reform?

Did you read the article? It's quite informative.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,599 times
Conservatives have to be some of the dumbest people on earth. I seriously can't believe how dumb you people are.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Maybe it's because it's a step in the right direction.

Time will tell.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Of course the US has to stand with India. Do you know how much IT and high tech R&D work is done in India for US companies ?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Show me where I said he reformed the visa system. He made it more expensive to get the visas, which slows down the inflow of H1-B workers. We have to do business with India and Indian firms, for economic and foreign-affairs reasons.
You think that an increase in the fee of processing an H-1 is really going to change anything? That's not the expense. That's piddly.

The expense is them getting you (the employer) to sign a contract stating that you will help them get their green card...and pay for it in full. Otherwise they won't do you the honor of working for you on an H-1. And they want that all in writing.

Have you ever worked for a company that uses H-1's? You don't sound like you have. But I have. I've had to call India to verify references. Learned real quick to get a fellow employee who is from India to call the "reference" phone number, and ask for the potential employee...b/c 9 times out of 10, the reference looked great, but was his uncle, aunt, mom, dad, cousin, second cousin....answering the damn phone. Not the Professor, not the last "employer"....

All it's going to do is put more American workers out of a job.

If Obamess had done this:

Quote:
India is much more restrictive. New Indian regulations passed in 2009 allow companies operating in India to have no more than one percent of their workers on “Employment visas,” the Indian equivalent of the H-1B and L-1, and that one percent cannot exceed a total of 20 employees.
Then he might deserve a pat on his back.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Wow. You really don't get it, do you?
Care to explain, what I don't get??

Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Fox News, Michele Bachman and Rush Limbaugh have no standards and will go to any length to further their far right agenda. The thing is, they are underestimating the intelligence of the American people. They are going too far and seriously pushing it. They will eventually be exposed for what they truly are which is a bunch of liars and crooks. The far right in their lame attempt to defend this unAmerican behavior says that it is okay to question the president (which it is) but has no problem placing all of their faith in Fox News, with no questions asked and proof needed, then they parrot whatever Fox News, Bachmann and Limbaugh say over and over and over again. Not only has the lie been debunked several times with several sources, links have been posted to articles explaining the reasons for the trip. However, they are so consumed by their hatred for the president and their views are so extreme that they are no longer capable of rational thought. Once the lie is debunked, they just come up with a new one. Once again, not having all the facts does not justify lying. Keep pushing, the ivory tower is going to topple over.
Nothing has been debunked. You can't claim that a denial, with NO supporting evidence, costs, numbers by the WH is debunking something.

Many, many people would not trust what this president and his minions have to say about anything - we need hard proof before they can be believed.

They have lied and embellished so much, they have virtually no credibility left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies