Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
LOL, sure no problem. Right after you pay back all the services that you used and tax endowed business' that you've used b/c you still have a job and health care and are not homeless and w/out, simply because of the spending that PRESIDENT Obama have done to rescue us from the abyss of the previous administration and the recklessness of those who supported them in the last 2 years.
I was employed, a home owner and had healthcare before Obama was elected and that hasn't changed despite Obama's attempts to "fix" that for me. I paid my fair share plus some in taxes towards those services you're crying about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Two things.

I work for the gov'ment

I am a Republican.

Moderate. Meaning I can see both sides of an issue.

Do you think for a minute that the tea heads would stand for their local taxes jumping up to pay for said services on a state or local level? I hear tea heads grumble about paying local taxes to support schools, becuase thier grown kids don't need said said services.

Gads! they grumble about the Federal Government takeover of Medicare.

My point is to put up or shut up. Say no to Medicare and Social Security and I might respect their POV.
You clearly don't know anything about people who support the Tea Party, you sound like a very uninformed typical liberal trying to bash people who you don't understand.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Two things.

I work for the gov'ment

I am a Republican.

Moderate. Meaning I can see both sides of an issue.

Do you think for a minute that the tea heads would stand for their local taxes jumping up to pay for said services on a state or local level? I hear tea heads grumble about paying local taxes to support schools, becuase thier grown kids don't need said said services.

Gads! they grumble about the Federal Government takeover of Medicare.

My point is to put up or shut up. Say no to Medicare and Social Security and I might respect their POV.
People have been forced to pay into Social Security for years on the promise that money would be available to them upon retirement. How can you reasonably suggest they walk away from the money they've invested into the program?

I'd suggest your choice to refer to TEA Party members as "teaheads" seriously calls your objectivity into question.

People are already paying local taxes to support local services.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You clearly don't know anything about people who support the Tea Party, you sound like a very uninformed typical liberal trying to bash people who you don't understand.
A Republican Liberal

Nice try.

Strawman- Liberal. ???

I am a person who thinks. The tea heads just want to get the Negro out of the oval office and cut taxes to the point that even Social Security and Medicare cease to exist. Now if the Tea heads will say no to SS and Medicare then I will will say OK.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
People are already paying local taxes to support local services.
Then how come people vote NO on nearly every local tax proposition?

Even to support schools, fire and police?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Then how come people vote NO on nearly every local tax proposition?

Even to support schools, fire and police?
Because human nature compels people to want as much as they can have for as little as they can pay.

The crumbling economy under massive debt as a result of unrestrained, out of control, unconstitutional federal spending also contributes to people's desire to hang on to every available dime.

You claim you're a Republican, hence at least marginally conservative. Is it really that difficult to comprehend a groundswell of individuals that believe their tax dollars are better spent locally than redistributed by an ever growing federal government?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Because human nature compels people to want as much as they can have for as little as they can pay.

The crumbling economy under massive debt as a result of unrestrained, out of control, unconstitutional federal spending also contributes to people's desire to hang on to every available dime.

You claim you're a Republican, hence at least marginally conservative. Is it really that difficult to comprehend a groundswell of individuals that believe their tax dollars are better spent locally than redistributed by an ever growing federal government?
What I see.

Spending on what I like: Good

Spending on what I don't like: Bad

Tea Party: I Just want to keep my money ( not share for the greater good) and could care less about people and issues that don't affect me. But come retirement time, sign me up for SS and Medicare. I guess in your opinion SS and Medicare are unconstitutional.
(and BTW I resent your term "claim to be a Republican".) Could it be that I am not a true Scotsman, because I like sugar in my coffee? (Goggle it if you are scratching your head)

Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
What I see.

Spending on what I like: Good

Spending on what I don't like: Bad

Tea Party: I Just want to keep my money ( not share for the greater good) and could care less about people and issues that don't affect me. But come retirement time, sign me up for SS and Medicare. I guess in your opinion SS and Medicare are unconstitutional.
(and BTW I resent your term "claim to be a Republican".) Could it be that I am not a true Scotsman, because I like sugar in my coffee? (Goggle it if you are scratching your head)
Resent all you like. I'm unamused with your "teaheads" label. If you choose to engage in derogatory labeling don't be surprised if you receive a less than tactful reply.

You choose to call yourself a Republican. From what I can see from the tone of your posts RINO would be a more accurate description.

You've chosen to ignore the fact that you assign federal responsibility and oversight to numerous areas that are under state and local jurisdiction in your original post. You also opted to deflect rather than address my earlier response to your Social Security assertions. From what I've seen so far your complaints have more to do with hyperbole than substance.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
You choose to call yourself a Republican. From what I can see from the tone of your posts RINO would be a more accurate description.

Like Bush? Big Govenment paid on credit. Deficit spending to the tune of adding $8T to the national debt in 8 years.

Or maybe being able to see thru the Ditto Head mindset of the tea party types doesn't sit well with you.

Maybe a thinking Moderate bothers you?

Anyway, I though the OP would be thought provoking and it did provoke.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Like Bush? Big Govenment paid on credit. Deficit spending to the tune of adding $8T to the national debt in 8 years.

Or maybe being able to see thru the Ditto Head mindset of the tea party types doesn't sit well with you.

Maybe a thinking Moderate bothers you?

Anyway, I though the OP would be thought provoking and it did provoke.
Yes, it did definitely provoke.

As far as the Ditto Head mindset from what I've seen it's a minority at best. As a Libertarian I have little if any use for the Limbaugh mentality. However, you'll get no argument from me if your claim is that Limbaugh, Hannity, and others of their ilk would love to co-opt the TEA Party to further their own agendas.

Regarding Bush I voted against him both times. In point of fact I'd argue the excesses of the Bush administration were the genesis of the TEA Party.

Sorry, I can still see nothing moderate in claiming numerous state responsibilities should be handled by the federal government. I'll add that your assertion that federal government should have the final word in all things regardless of the Constitutionality of those claims is sadly in keeping with views I've heard expressed by scores of other government employees.

Last edited by outbacknv; 11-02-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies