Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Gays currently have exactly the same rights to marry someone of the opposite sex as does anyone. Those are EQUAL rights. What gays want are special rights, not equal.

Looks like the people of Iowa have spoken. Don't like it, don't live in Iowa.
The bolded sounds remarkably like the argument used to try to stop interracial marriage 40 some years ago. "Blacks have exactly the same rights as whites to marry someone within their own race."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
So it would seem that a majority of those voicing opposition for Iowans to choose to retain or not retain their own judges are pushing for a national agenda and completely disregard the rights of voters in Iowa, wouldn't that be correct?

How many actually live in IA?
You're referring to the religiously funded out-of-state organizations like the FRC and NOM etc who funded BS fear and smear campaigns against those 3 judges who were up for retention? Yes, I agree they certainly have a National agenda and don't really give two hoots about Iowans. They just want to make a threat that they will go all out running fear and smear campaigns against other judges in other states who don't conform to their religious views.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Are you even paying attention? This was an Iowa vote removing judges they saw as "activists". It was the judges legislating from the bench, the ultimate imposition of beliefs in our system of government. The people of Iowa didn't want the activist judges imposing their beliefs. Period. They voted, they spoke.
And they only saw those judges as "activists" because they disagreed with the decision. They only saw it as "legislating from the bench" because they disagreed with the decision. Seems to me like the people of Iowa (at least the 54% percent who voted against these judges) don't understand their own state constitution. Nor do they understand that it's a supreme court judge's JOB to interpret that constitution when they are asked to rule on the constitutionality of a law.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
The bolded sounds remarkably like the argument used to try to stop interracial marriage 40 some years ago. "Blacks have exactly the same rights as whites to marry someone within their own race."
If I wanted to marry a same sex roommate despite not being gay, for financial benefits and getting insurance coverage, I would be denied the ability to marry.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If I wanted to marry a same sex roommate despite not being gay, for financial benefits and getting insurance coverage, I would be denied the ability to marry.
Marriage is just a contract, Dude.

The Constitution says that, "no state shall pass any law impairing the obligation of contracts.

The First and Ninth Amendments say you can do whatever the hell you want, just so's ya don't harm others.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
There is no federal law against gays getting married.
Never heard of DOMA? Until that is overturned, the federal government cannot recognize any same sex marriage, regardless of whether a state allows it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Never heard of DOMA? Until that is overturned, the federal government cannot recognize any same sex marriage, regardless of whether a state allows it.
Why should the Government recognize any kind of marriage?

They shouldn't be "recognizing" religion, either.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
It's no good to argue with radicals, momonkey. According to them, anyone who thinks differently than them needs to be pilloried and anyone who agrees with them is "enlightened".
You can't win arguments with children, and these people have that kind of mentality.
That's as good a way of putting it as I have seen yet.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
And they only saw those judges as "activists" because they disagreed with the decision. They only saw it as "legislating from the bench" because they disagreed with the decision. Seems to me like the people of Iowa (at least the 54% percent who voted against these judges) don't understand their own state constitution. Nor do they understand that it's a supreme court judge's JOB to interpret that constitution when they are asked to rule on the constitutionality of a law.
This isn't about a constitutional misunderstanding, as any of the illustrious Taliban leaders will tell you it's really about the insistence of theology over democracy, there is some sad irony in the fact that many Americans support the abolition of theocracies in foreign nations yet cling to their own brand of it at home.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
The Holy Bible, smart girl, is ALL the proof I need. Are you a Bible hatero?

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Lev 20:13
"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." 1 Cor 6:9
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals" 1 Tim 1:9-10
And the only reason those verses say that is because of the way they were translated from the original languages. To this Christian, the only verses that matter are the words of my Lord, Christ Jesus - who, BTW, says nothing at all about homosexuals or homosexuality. He does have an awful lot to say about how we should treat others, though. And about leaving judgment up to God. The following was posted on facebook by a cousin of mine in response to an anti-gay tirade posted by another:

Leviticus 19:16
..."Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbors life. I am the Lord.

Leviticus 19:18
"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. I am the Lord."

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Ephesians 5:2
and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except for the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.

Romans 15:7
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies