Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 AM

563 posts, read 929,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok, this crap ^ has to stop.

Just because someone is confused, or misunderstands homosexuality does not mean they are homosexuals themselves. It wouldn't matter to me either way, and I know there are some high profile cases where the most strident homosexual opposition leaders turn out to be gay themselves, but they are high profile cases.

I believe that Kentucky just doesn't want to hear about it all the time, which is a argument to be made.

If you want acceptance, you shouldn't strike out harshly against those who oppose you. You catch more flies with honey folks.
That's fair, you're right. I was going to point out the problem with opposition leaders by naming types but chose not to. That could be a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe that Kentucky just doesn't want to hear about it all the time, which is a argument to be made.
Yes, that's an argument to be made. Another argument to be made is, if you don't want to hear about it all the time, be more selective about what you listen to/watch/read.

The OP said: "I just watched a preview on my local news of the upcoming Today Show in NBC. They said they will be having an interview with Ricky Martin and discuss with him his decision to "come out"."

Fair enough. I guess the Today Show is ok - I've never watched it myself - we don't normally turn on the TV during the day. And although I do know who Ricky Martin is (singer, right?), I had no idea he was gay ... and don't care.

My point: If you read the trash at the grocery store check-out line, if you listen to talk radio, if you watch any number of "news" or "reality" shows, you will see/hear/read stuff all the time that you might not care for. So, stop choosing to see/hear/read that stuff. It's that simple.

And as others have already pointed out, whenever someone even a little bit famous "comes out", it will be reported because of the stigma our society still places on a person being gay. And it will continue to be reported until that stigma no longer exists.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Straight people "proclaim their straightness" and "bombard everyone with their straightness" every day. Think about it.

Do you think twice about mentioning your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend.children etc when asked? Do you think twice about holding your partner's hand when out in public? How many ads, movies, tv shows, songs, books etc are about straight people and their relationships?
Good point, and a good post.

Being straight and acting straight is so automatic that we simply don't think about it. My wife and I often hold hands when we're out, or have our arms around each other. And although I'm not a huge fan of public displays of affection, we've been known to kiss in public. It's no big thing.

Except ... if you're gay. Just a couple of weeks ago I read about a lesbian couple tossed out of a shopping center in North Carolina because they - gasp! - shared a kiss in public. If it had been me and my wife (we just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary) sharing a kiss, I suspect that any reaction by anyone around us would have been quite different.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
The only time when I find the homosexual subculture offensive is during some of the more extreme displays during Gay Pride parades. However, seeing as how I do not regularly hang out in gay villages nor attend pride parades, it rarely annoys me for more than a few seconds for maybe once or twice a year.

Being straight tends to reduce the amount of time you hang around in places called "The Manhole". So, I kinda wonder where is the OP constantly seeing these flamboyant, in-your-face homosexuals everywhere. I work with a bunch of gay people (very obviously gay people) and they aren't "rubbing it in my face" in the manner the OP describes. I wonder what exactly he gets up to be around so many open *****s in Kentucky of all places.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Yeah, right......I walk around all day everyday proclaiming I'm NOT gay.

Get real.
Do you watch TV at all. Every single day on nearly every channel are commercials for dating services for straights, pills for men with erectile disfunction so they can have sex with their wives, topical ointments for both men and women to make sex more thrilling. There are more like those constantly on the tube. That does not include all the day time soaps that portray affairs and sex between straights. Straight sex is advertised every place and in every media. Straights are out there screaming and yelling that they are straight, heck, when they have a wedding it is posted in the paper and if that is not enough, they hang tin cans off the back of the car to make even more noise to bring attention to the fact they are married and straight.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
By us being straight, we have absouletly nothing that we have got to prove. Unlike Gay People, who so much of the time, have to hide who they really are, and that is not easy on any Soul.

By getting out there, they are sort of saying, hey look at me, we are human just as you, we breathe just as you, we eat just like you, but we are not treated just like you.

So here we are, telling you all, that we are, there is just one subtle difference, this is what is not accepted by most of you, but we are here to tell you theat we are.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
I live in a college town that has some of the most liberal and most conservative people in Kentucky. Murray State University > LGBT services Everyone in our small town gets along with each other for the most part. Move one county away in each direction and it's a WAY different tune. Let me say this again, I DO NOT hate gay people. I do hate being bombarded with people pushing their views or way of life on others. In our town we also have people, once in a while, stand on street corners with large signs with Bible verses on them. I can't stand that either. No one cares about the message. It's not necessary. Like someone said, you catch more flies with honey.

BTW, for a few town parades now, the LGBT group has marched and I am pleased to announce that I haven't heard of any incidents or hate being thrown their way, although I can't speak for the vast majority of the rest of the state.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Here's my response: If you don't like it, then don't watch. And if you can't understand why gay people want to come out of the closet, then you're either not smart enough to get it, or you're truly out of touch with American culture in 2010.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 11-03-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overandout View Post
Only homophobes get confused. Homophobes are always interested in what homosexuals are doing. So, you have it backwards.
Why is it that homophobes are always interested in homosexuals?

Yep...I made NBC put that preview on the air this morning. They put it on because they knew I was interested in what Ricky Martin was doing.

BTW, I like this definition of normal:

"conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal"

Stop throwing parades and special "I'm coming out" interviews and people will not care...aka...NORMAL.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Let me say this again, I DO NOT hate gay people. I do hate being bombarded with people pushing their views or way of life on others. In our town we also have people, once in a while, stand on street corners with large signs with Bible verses on them. I can't stand that either. No one cares about the message. It's not necessary. Like someone said, you catch more flies with honey.
Well, stop the societal stigmatization, treat us equally under the law (as required by the Constitution), etc, and maybe we'll be a little less loud.

Unfortunately for you, the only way to get to the point where gays will be treated as worthwhile human beings is to be seen - to show people that we exist, that we're your brothers, sisters, cousins, teachers, parents, classmates, bosses. We need to dispel the myths and show people we're just normal, run of the mill people who want to live our lives in peace, fall in love, get married, make a family, save for retirement, etc and not some evil group of conniving deviants plotting to recruit your children to our hellbound "lifestyle".

Every gay person owes it to him or herself to come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies