Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times

Advertisements

How can anything change when our idea of change is going back and forth between voting for a fox or a coyote to place in the hen house? We keep electing the same two parties (who created this mess) and we expect different results???? Einstein called that INSANITY. We don't have the intestinal fortitude for real change. Ron Paul needs to go back to the Libertarian party because the Republicans DO NOT represent his views. They are no better than the democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
No reasonable person would be optimistic about the Republicans taking control of one house of congress. They'll just run up the debt like they always do.
If you are concerned about the debt, no reasonable individual would be supporting Democrats either..

Republican debt $300B
Democratic debt $1.3T

And you want to criticize Republicans...

Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. The GOP is not going to be serious about their promises. This is the nature of the beast.I really don't think a lot will change with the GOP winning the House. The leadership is still made up of Bush Republicans so what does that say? Government will increase in size anyway.

Thanks. It's true they have had decades to do all of this but they didn't. That's because the GOP leadership is ruled by the same globalists that control the Democratic Party. A lot of people have faith that the GOP will act meaningful, wile I remain skeptical despite voting for Pat Toomey for Senate
Sestak didn't even have Obama's support. I think he should call Meek from Florida and they can co-author a best selling book about how Obama & Clinton betrayed them. Maybe they can bring in Blagoyavich and Monica Lewinsky too

Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Defund at least several departments. Including the USDA, US Department of Education, EPA, Department of Energy, HHS, HUD, Homeland Security (except USCIS, ICE, Coast Guard, CBP, and Secret Service), Medicare, SS, etc. If it's not in the Constitution, it goes. Except for Defense, which is authorized under the Constitution and NASA can be considered defense because they share research with each other.\
Typical... defund all the departments that aren't mentioned in the Constitution-- except NASA-- cause I think it's cool?!!??!

You can't say you're arguing consistently if you use the Constitution as your justification to defund necessary services but say keep NASA...

This is akin to the iconoclastic right wing fiscal conservative-- which is code for "Only spend money on programs I personally like..."

Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
How can anything change when our idea of change is going back and forth between voting for a fox or a coyote to place in the hen house? We keep electing the same two parties (who created this mess) and we expect different results???? Einstein called that INSANITY. We don't have the intestinal fortitude for real change. Ron Paul needs to go back to the Libertarian party because the Republicans DO NOT represent his views. They are no better than the democrats.
the american people did not change their position... we were duped by Obama.
Sometimes when you lose you really win.
For instance, if you are playing musical electric chairs

Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
the american people did not change their position... we were duped by Obama.
Sometimes when you lose you really win.
For instance, if you are playing musical electric chairs
More fool you, you've just been duped again. Enjoy the butthurt.

H

Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
I'm glad the GOP took control of the House once again but, I still don't have faith that the GOP will turn this ship around.

They will not actually make meaning spending cuts. I think they're only gonna make piecemeal cuts to every department, except defense, at most. But I dno't expect them to be serious about it. We have a serious crushing debt and it requires serious solutions.

Defund at least several departments. Including the USDA, US Department of Education, EPA, Department of Energy, HHS, HUD, Homeland Security (except USCIS, ICE, Coast Guard, CBP, and Secret Service), Medicare, SS, etc. If it's not in the Constitution, it goes. Except for Defense, which is authorized under the Constitution and NASA can be considered defense because they share research with each other.

End state welfare grants. No more robbing California and Texas, etc. to pay for states that spend too much money that they don't have. No more federal subsidies for any state whatsoever. If a state wants to bankrupt itself by providing illegals and anchor babies with benefits, then that is of their own doing. Without federal subsidies, states will have far more freedom to rule their states according to their needs and wishes without interference from D.C.

And finally, abolish the Federal Reserve and return to the use of lawful, real money

Of course none of the above is going to happen. Because only Ron Paul and Rand Paul support my solutions. They are the only true Republicans in the Congress. The rest dilly dally around with social issues when Americans want fiscal conservatism more than anything. The social issues need to be put on the backburner until this sovereign debt crisis is resolved. Everyone knows what social positions the GOP stands for. Why continue to campaign on them?? If they had concentrated more on financial issues and freedom, this would have been easily in the bag for the GOP. Instead we have to wait till 2012 when the Dems finally lose control of the Senate, hopefully.
I.E. return America to the 18th Century... you are correct... none of the above is going to happen. The Tea Party position is NUTS. Sorry, there is no TOS friendly way of putting it. The Genie does not go willingly back in the bottle. Billionaires do not willingly go back to 99% tax levels.

H

Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Good post, op.

And for your info, Ron Paul is one man I'd vote for! I dont think he is as socially liberal as I'd like him to be but he loves the USA and seems to be serious about the debt.

Yes! Ron Paul!
I am fairly liberal on some issues, but I would for Ron Paul as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am fairly liberal on some issues, but I would for Ron Paul as well.
I think Ron Paul is the person that most people would vote for except the pro-welfare types of course. For those people, his medicine is way too hard to swallow

Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Typical... defund all the departments that aren't mentioned in the Constitution-- except NASA-- cause I think it's cool?!!??!

You can't say you're arguing consistently if you use the Constitution as your justification to defund necessary services but say keep NASA...

This is akin to the iconoclastic right wing fiscal conservative-- which is code for "Only spend money on programs I personally like..."
We need NASA nowadays because they are essential for us to move forward with groundbreaking research. Though I'm very open of privatizing it. Perhaps our space program would be better managed by a private company, plus it'll get work done faster. That's a pretty good idea, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I.E. return America to the 18th Century... you are correct... none of the above is going to happen. The Tea Party position is NUTS. Sorry, there is no TOS friendly way of putting it. The Genie does not go willingly back in the bottle. Billionaires do not willingly go back to 99% tax levels.

H
So let me ask you this then. Would you rather have a federal government that resembles one in the 18th century, though functioning nonetheless, or a country like Zimbabwe? Take your pick. Because that's the reality of the situation and now the Fed has unleashed QE2. They are starting to monetize the debt. Besides, cutting the federal government in size DOES NOT MEAN cutting down state government as well. If the state wants to assume the responsibilities that the federal government has now, there's nothing stopping them. Did you forget you have state governments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies