Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times

Advertisements

As a voter who has gone through some elections, let me give some words of advice:

1) KEEP IT SIMPLE: As in, don't try to "fix" any non-economic agenda. The electorate chose Republican leadership to fix the economy, NOT deal with late-term abortion, gay marriage rights, etc. The mood of the country as a whole requires focus on that one issue.

2) LAISSEZ-FAIRE STYLE APPROACH TO BIG BUSINESS DOESN'T WORK: Period. Companies have kept pay frozen and claimed that American workers aren't being competitive while shipping jobs overseas and ignoring the waves of highly qualified, technically competent and intelligent workforce we have. We need to stay tough on businesses and to offset that tough love, ensure we have a level playing field in international business. That means - getting tough with China, and other currency manipulators. Consider removing China from MFN status ... that should get their attention.

3) This is NOT an affirmation of the Bush-era agenda. No matter how you look at it, the electorate chose a different party to deal with the ECONOMY. Do not try and foist a new enemy on the public - we're terrorized-out, tapped-out, and simply exhausted from dealing with the many enemies that government has created for us. The real enemy is government ... now fix it! The people elected Obama and the Democrats to power because they wanted change from such agendas. Do not try and bring it about again.

4) If the economy still sucks after 2 years, count your chances ... I can guarantee the electorate will bring someone, ANYONE, back into power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As a voter who has gone through some elections, let me give some words of advice:

1) KEEP IT SIMPLE: As in, don't try to "fix" any non-economic agenda. The electorate chose Republican leadership to fix the economy, NOT deal with late-term abortion, gay marriage rights, etc. The mood of the country as a whole requires focus on that one issue.

2) LAISSEZ-FAIRE STYLE APPROACH TO BIG BUSINESS DOESN'T WORK: Period. Companies have kept pay frozen and claimed that American workers aren't being competitive while shipping jobs overseas and ignoring the waves of highly qualified, technically competent and intelligent workforce we have. We need to stay tough on businesses and to offset that tough love, ensure we have a level playing field in international business. That means - getting tough with China, and other currency manipulators. Consider removing China from MFN status ... that should get their attention.

3) This is NOT an affirmation of the Bush-era agenda. No matter how you look at it, the electorate chose a different party to deal with the ECONOMY. Do not try and foist a new enemy on the public - we're terrorized-out, tapped-out, and simply exhausted from dealing with the many enemies that government has created for us. The real enemy is government ... now fix it! The people elected Obama and the Democrats to power because they wanted change from such agendas. Do not try and bring it about again.

4) If the economy still sucks after 2 years, count your chances ... I can guarantee the electorate will bring someone, ANYONE, back into power.
I have a special fondness for those who take the time to actually write out their opinion or thoughts, as opposed to the flatheads that simply link to some idiotic blog and then await applause for their clever action.

Eskercurve: thanks for your thoughts, and may your reputation increase!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I agree with Eskercurve. He made a lot of sense. Remember "It's the Economy Stupid!"

The problem the Republicans have created is simply their definition of the economy (money for the upper 1%) is not the economy of the rest of us. They could care less about the unemployed so long as the profits remain high and the financiers take no risk.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:

Good post. I am glad that some of us have he ability to be fair and logical thinkers. I must admit that after listening to all the craziness, I have moved father to the left. I am tired of listening to debates about things that will never come to pass, one way or another. I am also tired of all the birther nonsense and smear campaigns. It does nothing but pit us against each other. We as a country should come together and work on the real issues. There is too much negativity in this country right now.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with Eskercurve. He made a lot of sense. Remember "It's the Economy Stupid!"

The problem the Republicans have created is simply their definition of the economy (money for the upper 1%) is not the economy of the rest of us. They could care less about the unemployed so long as the profits remain high and the financiers take no risk.
I just posed a thread very similar in it's differences. Great post Eskercurve.

Although, it's hard to be 'tough' with someone you owe a lot of anything to. China is sitting on a lot of US Treasury Debt. Someone is going to have to do some serious comprising along with putting aside arrogance to do any 'real' good. Times are scary. To say the least. Hope SOMEONE is paying attention.

And oh yea, the Dems are just as guilty.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Good post. I am glad that some of us have he ability to be fair and logical thinkers. I must admit that after listening to all the craziness, I have moved father to the left. I am tired of listening to debates about things that will never come to pass, one way or another. I am also tired of all the birther nonsense and smear campaigns. It does nothing but pit us against each other. We as a country should come together and work on the real issues. There is too much negativity in this country right now.
It's good to see more and more of this realization come to light.

Hey! Any of you politicians reading these posts?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:

This election was ENTIRELY about the economy--most voters now are independent vs. R or Dem, and they could care less about partisan BS--they just want a job. The R's have themselves in a bit of a mess--the promises they made to their base aren't realistic when it comes time to actually govern, plus they tend to go for what's popular vs. what's prudent. They got elected with big business money, so there's not going to be any kind of push there, plus they're going to have to try to talk the talk (but not walk it) with the social conservatives. My opinion? We're in for at least two more years of the Bush admin. 2012 is wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies