Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I just don't think the TP realizes that the R's don't need them after this year. Haven't they ever wondered why the RNC, the corporations and the Koch brothers poured hundreds of millions of dollars into their campaigns? Those groups have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in cutting federal departments (except for the EPA), etc. The whole thing is about promoting policy in the corporate interest. I was a R for most of my life, and I've been involved in the party in the past--I know how they think. They were used to rehab the R image--no one was going to vote the Bushies in again this soon. Now that they're back in, they're banking on not needing the TP in 2012. They'll absolutely give lip service to the social conservatives (with no action) just like they've always done to get their votes, but they're free to run as neocons in the future. I can't see how the TP is going to continue to exist unless they go third party...
Actually the "Country Club" Republicans have always needed people like the Tea Party. Numerically speaking there simply are not enough "Country Club" Republicans to be significant in terms of votes. They use their money for influence as we've seen with the astro-turf organizations. That's why the Republican Party appeals to social conservatives, wraps itself up in patriotism, religion, and American Exceptionalism and preys upon the racial fears of low income, low education, White Americans. They use their votes to advance their political agenda, then the call in the lobbyist once they have the appropriate politicians in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The Tea Party is just taking the RINOs out to the woodshed and giving them a lickin' like they deserve; reminding them of the consequences of their bad Progressive behavior and votes. If RINO Progressives return to the Conservative party line in regard to their voting history between now and 2012 they will have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
(chuckling) I don't think there are a whole lot of blue dog Democrats left, the middle was pretty well gutted like a fish. We now have a House that is far more to the right on one hand and further to the left on the other and Obama is standing between them looking like a deer in the headlights going... what the heck just happened.
I think this is the most insightful post I've seen in a while. I'm fiscally conservative, socially, NOT a religious zealot. I actually thought the blue dog dems had the potential to salvage this country, and provide a fiscally conservative middle ground between the extremists on both the left and right. Unfortunately, the extreme leftward slant of the democratic leadership soured most moderate/independant voters. This cost the "blue dogs" the positions in the middle, left the hard left in traditional blue strongholds, and ushered in a number of "far right" pols everywhere nearly everywhere else.

As so many others have said, have politicians on both sides of the isle actually learned anything in the last 2 years? Or last 10 years for that matter?

Much as I dislike much of what Obama has tried to do policy wise, I do feel kinda sorry for him now. Trying to get much accomplished in the next 2 years is going to be tough. Had he been more willing to compromise and LISTEN to the people of this country he might well not be in this position, so my pity is pretty tempered.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well it has been a rather unique election season, no doubt. Where does this leave you, well it leaves you in the same place I am and 299 million other Americans, wondering what is going to happen next because I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

I expect some form of gridlock while the left, right and right of Congress tries go battle on some key pieces of legislation and meanwhile the people grow more and more angry. We are likely to see a growing level of violence among desperate people out of work, losing their house and facing a new life in a gutter. If they don't deal with the jobs issue it is going to get even more ugly and expect 2012 to be the year of "throw the bums out", far more than we saw this cycle. Honestly, I don't have a clue where this is going to go.
My take? I think we're going to "you know where" in a hand-basket. I think you're right, and I think who wins in 2012 will depend on who puts the most blame on the other side. If the Dem's don't get their act together on the economy, and communicate their plan clearly to the American people, they'll be out. If the R's are constantly trying to obstruct efforts to improve the economy, or if they go after cuts to popular entitlements, it'll swing the other way. My bet is that it's going to get very ugly--the R's will go after their 100 subpoenas against the admin to try to distract their base from the fact that they aren't going to be able to follow through on their campaign promises. It's a scary time for all of us--I honestly don't know if people marching in the streets can change things or not.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually the "Country Club" Republicans have always needed people like the Tea Party. Numerically speaking there simply are not enough "Country Club" Republicans to be significant in terms of votes. They use their money for influence as we've seen with the astro-turf organizations. That's why the Republican Party appeals to social conservatives, wraps itself up in patriotism, religion, and American Exceptionalism and preys upon the racial fears of low income, low education, White Americans. They use their votes to advance their political agenda, then the call in the lobbyist once they have the appropriate politicians in office.
They need the social conservatives, but in the eyes of the R party, they were harmless--they've done the patriotism/religion thing with that group for years, but never backed it up with policy. I think the difference this year is that the TP is actually making policy demands and challenging the established R leadership. Honestly--it will not be tolerated. The big R's got the tea party elected in the generals, and they can take them out just as easily--they control the checkbook. They used them for this election, but now that they've got some numbers back and they've been able to distance themselves from the Bushies, I think the tea party will be gone.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I agree, which is why I cannot see it happening. Talk about masochistic.

You've got an interesting take on it, but I have a different take on it all. I think the TP is forcing the Republican party to go through a metamorphosis and return to their fiscal conservative ways. The TP was as much of a mandate against the spendaholic democrats in congress as it was against the spendaholic repubs that helped get us into the mess we're in. It was a wake-up call to the republican party that we will not tolerate pubs acting like drunken sailor democrats. If the R party is smart, they will return to being fiscally conservative and the need for the TP will disappear.
It's one thing to SAY you are for fiscal restraint when you are on the outside of the Beltway. Now some Tea Party members actually have their mouths up to the world’s biggest financial trough, the U.S Treasury. It will be truly interesting to see how much restraint they really have. It's easy to get seduced when the folks back home are complaining about jobs and the opportunity to dive into a pork barrel project is right in front of your face while you are being wined and dined by some lobbyist.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I guess the same question could be asked of you--you are naive if you think the system isn't rigged in favor of the major parties.
Of course it's rigged in favor of the major parties. What do you think spawned the Tea Party? Hmmm?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Of course it's rigged in favor of the major parties. What do you think spawned the Tea Party? Hmmm?
That's my point. The R's need the social conservatives to win. The tea party popped up as a grassroots movement, and the R's funded and embraced it as a way to win--it made no sense for them to try to fight them at that point because they could be easily manipulated. If you'll notice, the tea party agenda has been moved more and more over this election cycle from a strict economic platform to social conservative issues--that's where the R's want them. The R's will be fine with the tea party as long as they don't try to upset the R leadership structure. If they actually start making demands, they're going to find out very quickly that the neocon R party is in complete control. They'll go back to patting social conservatives on the head while they do exactly what they want to do, and nothing will change.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
That's my point. The R's need the social conservatives to win. The tea party popped up as a grassroots movement, and the R's funded and embraced it as a way to win--it made no sense for them to try to fight them at that point because they could be easily manipulated. If you'll notice, the tea party agenda has been moved more and more over this election cycle from a strict economic platform to social conservative issues--that's where the R's want them.
Someone has led you to believe that, and you bought into it. Think about who that would be...

You really should be questioning everything you think you know. You've been manipulated and duped on quite a few things. Hence, the title of this thread... "Tea Party ...hit list of Republicans."

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... Has the light bulb gone on for you yet, buddy?
This so-called "hit list" included Scott Brown--a Republican...

Go tell Christine O'Donnell, Angle, Palladino, etc, how things went for them on Tues...

I suggest that you find a flashlight for that cave you live in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies