Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM

613 posts, read 960,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
How does a person "abuse" the unemployment compensation system in any at-will employment state, if they are unemployed?
Thats not the topic of the thread and has nothing to do with the thread. Stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 745,023 times
Please clarify for me, is a 99er a person who is now on EB? I am now on EB, I am done with tiers, I have no way of knowing if I would benefit from a further "extension" by congress. I know I asked earlier if EBers are part of those who's benefits may continue and I was answered here that it is unknown at this time because there is no bill to look at yet. Thank you.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Please clarify for me, is a 99er a person who is now on EB? I am now on EB, I am done with tiers, I have no way of knowing if I would benefit from a further "extension" by congress. I know I asked earlier if EBers are part of those who's benefits may continue and I was answered here that it is unknown at this time because there is no bill to look at yet. Thank you.
In order for 99ers to receive any further benefits, the Congress would have to lengthen the number of weeks in one of the four existing EUC Tiers -- or add a fifth Tier.

At this time, there have been no proposals to extend the length of any of the four existing Tiers. And the two efforts to add a Tier V that were made before the recess (one in the Senate and one in the House) have made no progress; neither of these has been mentioned again since the Congress has reconvened, and they have not appeared on any agenda for the lame-duck session or for the new Congress to be seated in January 2011.

So unfortunately, the answer to your original question remains the same -- there is no bill under discussion at this time to provide more benefits for the 99ers.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM

118 posts, read 534,375 times
Also, unlike the payments on the EUC tiers, in most states (including Florida, I believe) EB payments end immediately upon the expiration of the extensions. Which means that EB payments will currently end on November 30 or shortly thereafter unless Congress acts.

A 99er is someone who has exhausted all of their unemployment benefit options. It refers to the 99 weeks that are theoretically possible with state UC + federal EUC + EB, but if Congress doesn't act to keep the EUC system alive and continue funding EB, then many, many more people will soon essentially become "99ers" whether they've collected 99 weeks or not.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
Also, unlike the payments on the EUC tiers, in most states (including Florida, I believe) EB payments end immediately upon the expiration of the extensions. Which means that EB payments will currently end on November 30 or shortly thereafter unless Congress acts.
Not true -- this varies from state to state. It is true that many states now require that EB be funded 100% by the federal government -- and that those states will discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires.

However, although the 100% federal funding will now end at the beginning of December, each state sets it own date for phasing out the EB benefits. Some will cease payment of EB as early as the week ending December 3; others have decided not to phase out payments until January 2011.

And, there are a handful of states that will continue to pay the full length of EB even after the 100% federal funding expires -- and the formula reverts to 50% federal funds/50% state funds.

For these reasons, it is important that you check with your state's UI website -- or contact your local UI office -- to see how EB will be administered in your state.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times
Why did the republicans balk at paying for unemployment with unspent stimulus funds?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
The issue I have with people receiving money for unemployment is the same issue I have for people on welfare; you have people who legitimately need the benefits and they don’t abuse the system, and you have the chronic abusers.

I remember years ago I lost my job; when I went to the unemployment office they told me I had to look for a certain number of jobs per week, they unemployment office would contact the companies where I applied so it was harder to scam the system then (I was not trying to scam the system). It’s much harder to check on the progress of job applicants now, 1. There are more applicants so you probably can’t track them all, and 2. Since most companies have you apply online, it may be harder to find out if someone applied for a particular job.

For the legitimate people looking for work, I wish them well.
I wish them well too. I'm not sure about other states, but where I live the unemployment office told me last year that the only way they would accept online job applications as part of the weekly total is if I gave them an actual person's name and address to contact. Giving them the company website or company phone number does not count.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 AM

621 posts, read 2,325,890 times
This thread needs to get back on track. Lots of condesending tones here. Let's just focus on getting accurate information and take the arguments to DM.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 AM

208 posts, read 552,185 times
I feel strongly both ways

Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I wish them well too. I'm not sure about other states, but where I live the unemployment office told me last year that the only way they would accept online job applications as part of the weekly total is if I gave them an actual person's name and address to contact. Giving them the company website or company phone number does not count.
What state are you in? In California, I was listing anonymous emails from labor gigs on Craiglist. The only problem I had was EDD thinking I may be self-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies