Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Tough situation. Possible options -

1. Join military to gain expereince.
Two problems with that - he's coming up on 40 years old and his hearing is almost totally gone.
Quote:
2. Take a school loan to go back to school to train and gain more skills for workforce.
He's actually tried that before. Went as far as filling out all the forms, was approved, then found out the loan didn't cover books that he would have to have before classes started.
Quote:
3. Ask parents for loan/borow car to drive to locations further out to work.
Well, actually, IF I had a car, he knows he would be welcome to use it in his job search. But we are currently a household of three adults with only the youngest son owning a car which he uses five days a week to get the 30 miles one way to HIS job. As for a loan, living on SS combined with a small pension from late husband's employer, I have no money to lend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

320 posts, read 290,379 times
Quote:
Why is that unbelievable? 99 weeks of aide? When does it stop? Who will pay for it? I doubt unemployment paid into the system matches what has been paid out.
Why not tie aide to working? Surely those on aide could be doing work - trash detail, grass mowing, etc. Why not propose to use left over stimulus money to pay for it?
So we can bailout billionaire CEO's so they can give themselves bonuses But we can't bailout the average guy with a family to think about? If you support one mode of bailout then you should support them all.....

Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Is it not possible to introduce a bill that would extend the benefits and also have a plan to pay for them? I'm certainly no expert on this, but it seems to be a sticking point.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 10,951 times
Hello fellow college degreed, fat checked, blabbering mouths of nonsense. Yes you! The problem solvers without a clue. I could only wish to be in your positions, whatever they may be. I'm quite sure NASA has plenty of openings. I'd love to work in such an environment, using my brain to maximum potential to create new histories, technologies, ect. Wiether it payed well, I wouldnt care.

Unfortunately, at least in my own life, it hasn't quite worked out this way. Life seems to get in the way. I was unfortunate, understand, that I didnt get a high school diploma. a few years later I got a G.E.D. contradulations! It gets no notice.

I've worked at many restraraunts, and later did convenience work. I've , in my time here on earth, have also cheated myself into the carpentry business for a few years. Nice experience, but... not something that fullfilled me in any sense of meaning.Moving down a few years later, my life was suddenly transposed? Or attitude changed. I wanted to go to college after realizing my life doing convenience was getting nowhere AND at least here in Vegas, very life threatening. Store clerks getting shot every day it seems....

I went through the motions and learned that there was quite a bit of learning before you even get a foot in the door to college. Secondly, at the time, I was unemployed. Mix the 2 together and it's another slap in the face. I OPed out to gain employment.... at yet another convenience store.

Don't be too judgemental. I actually enjoyed meeting the various types of people and had quite a reputaion as a store clerk. I also concider myself a very responsible person. Unfortunately my responsibility to prevent robbery got me fired. I closed the register on the guys fingers. Oh, im such a violent person! I even tossed a clip board on a counter in fustration, when a co worker perfers not to do their job! HOW DARE ME!

Things went disarray from this point on. I got depressed and tired of trying. Understand that I also now have to contend with hearing loss... and hearing aids, which i've worn only makes my hearing worse. I hear you already ( Thats BS, hearing aids help you! ) yup, they do... momentarily. Shove some loud speakers on your ears and then tell me how much better you hear after you turn them off

After a while i did get myself back on my feet. In fact the job was nearly perfect for me. I was making conveior belts for a nice company. I was making decent money, and didnt have to worry if I'll still be living by the end of the shift. My only requirements for the job was basicly skills I had picked up in carpentry. Measurements and various tools. I worked there for 6 months. Probably the shortest stretch of time of work in my own history. Thats when the economy went kaplunk. It left me feeling... as though it was something I personally did. ( layed off?!? ) I wasnt yet totally back on my feet.

Then the accedent happened to top it all off. ( though I dont remember it HAHA! ) I was hit by a car when walking, and regained conciousness at the hospital. It was a hit and run. Stiches here stiches there. leg and limbs hurt like hell.I could barely breath. I was on cruches. No broken bones. Amazing!

Bills up my wazoo, no job, no transportion. No education or work experience. No ID. Possible extended heath issues.
PLEASE HIRE ME. Idiots need not reply. thank you.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM

180 posts, read 391,669 times
The Huffington Post reports ... A Democratic senator said Tuesday that the congressional standoff over renewing extended unemployment benefits could last several weeks in a repeat of a summer debacle that interrupted benefits for 2.5 million people................

Unemployment Extension: Dem Senator Says Standoff Could Last Weeks

Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
So we can bailout billionaire CEO's so they can give themselves bonuses But we can't bailout the average guy with a family to think about? If you support one mode of bailout then you should support them all.....
Get on the phone with your Dem Congressman and tell them to use unspent stimulous money for it. Problem solved.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Actually I believe these so called bailouts to banks are actually loans. I think they are paid back.....So, the big difference is money to banks are paid back with interest whereas UE aide is money that someone else has to pay for....and is not paid back...

If the money from bailouts are paid back, why would it matter if someone got a bonus for doing a good job?

Again, why not use stimulus money for UE....I am willing to meet halfway ..as long as there is no new spending..

Last edited by Secchamps98; 11-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
These Republicans are unbelievable. To cut off unemployment during these sorts of economic conditions is unbelievable.
Nothing but greedy scumbags. Plain and simple.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Actually I believe these so called bailouts to banks are actually loans. I think they are paid back.....So, the big difference is money to banks are paid back with interest whereas UE aide is money that someone else has to pay for....and is not paid back...

If the money from bailouts are paid back, why would it matter if someone got a bonus for doing a good job?

Again, why not use stimulus money for UE....I am willing to meet halfway ..as long as there is no new spending..
Not QUITE true............not ALL of it by a long shot......

Watchdog: TARP to cost taxpayers $25 billion - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,671 times
1. I paid 60K in income taxes last yr, why should I pay more money to go to someone else. I don't mind paying more to help others in needs, but do not like being gouged. I would like to think I am paying for a defined service (police, fire, roads, schools, etc.) with a litle extra to help with social programs. However, I draw the line when I continue to pay and get little benefit. I don't believe a service is worth a % of income or one should pay based on the difficulty it puts on them.

2. Businesses with more money (including small business) will hire when they have more capital. The reason that business are not hiring is uncertainity and demand. Even as demand picks up the Govt has business owners uncertain about their taxes - R/D, Payroll, Insurance, Capital Gains, etc. As a small busines owner, if I think that I have 10% more costs next yr due to Govt policy I am going to tread water and certainly not hire until I have more certainity. I will make due with contracters or overwork the current staff until then.

Now really, do you think if the Govt takes money from the wage earners/business folks that more JObs wll be created? Yea right, a Govt job..no thanks!. How often do low wage earners hire people? The crisis we are in now has little to do with the current tax rates....but with housing bubbles and other areas...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-30-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies