Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times

Advertisements

Often liberals on this board bemoan the loss of millions of manufacturing jobs and the declining middle class. As thier favorite scapegoat, they condemn George Bush and the republicans for these problems.

However, the author of the misery of our manufacturing sector was none other than the hero of the liberals- Bill Clinton. NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status has created the "sucking sound" that Ross Perot discussed as our manufacturing jobs have left the US in droves as a result of these policies. Bill Clinton was heavily supported by the Chinese and essentially sold the manufacturing sector to them in exchange for campaign financiing and political support. Yet.............. the left loves him.

Let's admit the cause of manufacturing job loss-

Bill Clinton and his trade policies.

Want manufacturing to return? Reverse the policies of Clinton. Wake up and dump your partisan politics and support Americans for America. Listen to guys like Trump who are not afraid to show the cause of our manufacturing problems and has the will to implement solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
You have selective amnesia. NAFTA was spearheaded by George H. W. Bush.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You have selective amnesia. NAFTA was spearheaded by George H. W. Bush.
Yes, -

And PASSED by Clinton, along with China most favored nation trade status. Don't you remember? Selective memory is good for liberals in this regard, otherwise they would have to face the terrible confusion that would confront them over how thier party gutted the US manufacturing sector.

China Most Favored Nation

Old 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Often liberals on this board bemoan the loss of millions of manufacturing jobs and the declining middle class. As thier favorite scapegoat, they condemn George Bush and the republicans for these problems.

However, the author of the misery of our manufacturing sector was none other than the hero of the liberals- Bill Clinton. NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status has created the "sucking sound" that Ross Perot discussed as our manufacturing jobs have left the US in droves as a result of these policies. Bill Clinton was heavily supported by the Chinese and essentially sold the manufacturing sector to them in exchange for campaign financiing and political support. Yet.............. the left loves him.

Let's admit the cause of manufacturing job loss-

Bill Clinton and his trade policies.

Want manufacturing to return? Reverse the policies of Clinton. Wake up and dump your partisan politics and support Americans for America. Listen to guys like Trump who are not afraid to show the cause of our manufacturing problems and has the will to implement solutions.

If I have a factory in China, Mexico, Viet Nam, Malaysia, India, or any other emerging market nation and I can pay my workers $2.00 an hour why am I going to move my factory back to America and have to pay my workers $20.00? The Republicans had 8 years to roll back trade agreements and they didn't. Why? Because big business didn't want them to and American consumers are addicted to lower cost products from these countries.

Why are you expecting any of this to change.

You are p*ssing in the winds of progress and change.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If I have a factory in China, Mexico, Viet Nam, Malaysia, India, or any other emerging market nation and I can pay my workers $2.00 an hour why am I going to move my factory back to America and have to pay my workers $20.00? The Republicans had 8 years to roll back trade agreements and they didn't. Why? Because big business didn't want them to and American consumers are addicted to lower cost products from these countries.

Why are you expecting any of this to change.

You are p*ssing in the winds of progress and change.
The reason you will not is due to the changes in our trade agreements as well as US corporate tax structure.

Of course big buisness does not want to repeal NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status. Why would they?

However, we, as Americans, should certainly be interested in repealing both of these measures.

Why am I expecting this to change? For the same reason that the democratic party was just voted out of office. There appears to be a realization among citizens that our representatives no longer represent our interests as a nation. If the newly elected republican congress does not recognize this and move toward change- vote them out as well.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
The reason you will not is due to the changes in our trade agreements as well as US corporate tax structure.

Of course big buisness does not want to repeal NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status. Why would they?

However, we, as Americans, should certainly be interested in repealing both of these measures.

Why am I expecting this to change? For the same reason that the democratic party was just voted out of office. There appears to be a realization among citizens that our representatives no longer represent our interests as a nation. If the newly elected republican congress does not recognize this and move toward change- vote them out as well.

So, you think the Republican's will repeal it? LOL Why didn't they do that when they had full control of the US government for 6 years?

In any case, your outrage is highly selective.

The treaty was negotiated during the G.H.W. Bush administration and Bush actually signed the treaty, along with Mexican President Salinas and Canadian PM Mulroney.

It was submitted to the Senate for ratifcation (no, Bill Clinton didn't "pass it.") and was approved. The Democrats had a majority at the time. THEN, Bill Clinton signed it.

The debate in the Senate was quite contentious and there was a really danger it wouldn't pass. However, it did.

Later, Bushs' son, G.W. negotiated and signed a companion agreement called the Security and Prosperity Partnership Agreement (2005) along with President Fox of Mexico and Canadian PM Martin. It expanded on NAFTA by appointing bureaucrats and so-called "stake holders," (see: Corporate functionaries) to several boards and working groups with the mission of standardizing rules, regulations and laws between the 3 countries in areas as diverse as agriculture policy, security, immigration, transportation and so on. Their decisions, which have no oversight from The People, have the force of law and they're busy at work right now doing unifying the 3 countries in just about everything but name.

But, little Georgie had learned from Dad's mistake. The S&PP is not a treaty, but an "agreement." Consequently, it did not have to be ratified by the Senate. Congress (our representatives) is cut completely out of the loop. They have no oversight functions and don't even have to allocate money to it because it's "privately" funded, ie: Paid for by corporations. The agreement was purposely and deliberately crafted that way so they could go ahead with their work without bothering to tell The People what they were doing. It's no secret, they're just counting on nobody knowing about it or caring much. So far, they are right, even thought it's all laid out on a government website, www.spp.gov

All this just goes to show that you've been conned, right along with a whole lot of other people. I've tried to tell folks for years that there is no substantial difference between a Bush Republican and a Clinton Democrat, but nobody wants to believe it. Hung up on the labels these people hide behind, folks like you go blithely along thinking exchanging one group of corporate flunkies for another will result in change.

Good luck with that.

Just to be sure, I clicked on the link provided and found that it's no longer operative. So, I did some quick research and have discovered that the information it contained is now spread out across 7 different servers.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by stillkit; 11-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: new information

Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, you think the Republican's will repeal it? LOL Why didn't they do that when they had full control of the US government for 6 years?

In any case, your outrage is highly selective.

The treaty was negotiated during the G.H.W. Bush administration and Bush actually signed the treaty, along with Mexican President Salinas and Canadian PM Mulroney.

It was submitted to the Senate for ratifcation (no, Bill Clinton didn't "pass it.") and was approved. The Democrats had a majority at the time. THEN, Bill Clinton signed it.

The debate in the Senate was quite contentious and there was a really danger it wouldn't pass. However, it did.

Later, Bushs' son, G.W. negotiated and signed a companion agreement called the Security and Prosperity Partnership Agreement (2005) along with President Fox of Mexico and Canadian PM Martin. It expanded on NAFTA by appointing bureaucrats and so-called "stake holders," (see: Corporate functionaries) to several boards and working groups with the mission of standardizing rules, regulations and laws between the 3 countries in areas as diverse as agriculture policy, security, immigration, transportation and so on. Their decisions, which have no oversight from The People, have the force of law and they're busy at work right now doing unifying the 3 countries in just about everything but name.

But, little Georgie had learned from Dad's mistake. The S&PP is not a treaty, but an "agreement." Consequently, it did not have to be ratified by the Senate. Congress (our representatives) is cut completely out of the loop. They have no oversight functions and don't even have to allocate money to it because it's "privately" funded, ie: Paid for by corporations. The agreement was purposely and deliberately crafted that way so they could go ahead with their work without bothering to tell The People what they were doing. It's no secret, they're just counting on nobody knowing about it or caring much. So far, they are right, even thought it's all laid out on a government website, www.spp.gov

All this just goes to show that you've been conned, right along with a whole lot of other people. I've tried to tell folks for years that there is no substantial difference between a Bush Republican and a Clinton Democrat, but nobody wants to believe it. Hung up on the labels these people hide behind, folks like you go blithely along thinking exchanging one group of corporate flunkies for another will result in change.

Good luck with that.

No George Bush fan here. I am not a fan of Bill Clinton either.

We have been "conned" by our "representatives" for years. I think that our only meaningful chance of taking back the nation is the development of grass roots movments, like the Tea Party, which seek to oust members of either party who no longer represent the will of the people. Obama is just an extreme example of a bad politician, but is more of the same crap we have been fed for the last few decades.

NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status CAN be repealed and legislation passed to alter trade agreements, despite presidential fiat.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
No George Bush fan here. I am not a fan of Bill Clinton either.

We have been "conned" by our "representatives" for years. I think that our only meaningful chance of taking back the nation is the development of grass roots movments, like the Tea Party, which seek to oust members of either party who no longer represent the will of the people. Obama is just an extreme example of a bad politician, but is more of the same crap we have been fed for the last few decades.

NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status CAN be repealed and legislation passed to alter trade agreements, despite presidential fiat.

Frankly, I think Obama was our last, best hope for breaking the ties which bind our government to corporations. He really did come from a different bunch of political supporters, though he did take corporate money to run his campaign. He was pushed into office by the old Kennedy wing of the Democratic Party, which is anything but pro-corporate.

I'm guessing that's why the corporate statist's were so alarmed at his election (they were counting on Hillary winning easily) and why they mounted the vitriolic campaign of blatant lies about Obama which has flooded the internet and talk shows since he won the nomination.

But, it seems to be working as we just got through handing the House right back to the same ol' bunch of corporate bagmen and they're dead set on overturning everything Obama has done which their corporate sponsor's don't like.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
Quote:
Yes, -

And PASSED by Clinton, along with China most favored nation trade status. Don't you remember? Selective memory is good for liberals in this regard, otherwise they would have to face the terrible confusion that would confront them over how thier party gutted the US manufacturing sector.

China Most Favored Nation
You are not going to make a whole lot of new friends or bring people over to your side by erroneously labeling people.

I will never forget what GWB and his cronies did to this country. And although I am not particularly enchanted by Obama and his awful timing, he has a while to go before I learn to despise him as much as I despise GWB.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
Neither party is talking about trade agreements and I am unaware of the tea drinkers making it a issue or just mentioning it in passing. This is another issue where the partisans on this board point the finger and blame the other side. In reality it is a bi partisan cluster **** and neither party is leading the charge to fix it.
I remember the obnoxious rhetoric like it was yesterday,( paraphrase} " the American people are the most productive and best workers in the world and we can compete with anybody" That was nonsense then and it is nonsense now, look at our trade deificit for proof.
I would not hold my breath on either party fixing the trade agreements, the corporation lobbyist will grease the palms of our leaders who will be more concerned about holding/gaining power. Is'nt democracy great?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies