Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The criminal act was not committed in his "home country".

It was committed in my country.
And he's being prosecuted in this country. What's your problem? That you think the CRIMINAL court won't be hard enough on him when it goes to trial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hedging, again?
No, not hedging. The facts are quite clear. It's a mystery why you continue to argue against them.

Quote:
Let's see, a legal precedent would be a case that establishes a rule that other judges could use when deciding future cases with similar facts and issues.

The issue was a restraining order.
The NJ judge ruled the defendant's acts against his wife not actionable. That would have been the legal precedent.

Quote:
The facts were that a Moroccon man who was a Muslim attacked his wife. Such an attack was not considered criminal both in his home country or according to his religious traditions. Hence, he did not intend to break the law.
You may believe that but if you had read the Appellate Court's decision, you would have seen the citations of the statutes that contradict your opinion.

Quote:
The judge found that he did not intend to break the law as relevant to whether he would in the future attack his wife. That's tenuous reasoning which is why the appeals court overruled him.
You left out the part about the man's belief (Islamic Sharia law) being a prominent factor in the NJ judge's ruling.

Quote:
But it's not exactly precedent. Can you find a copy of his actual ruling, where he established a new rule that would be followed as precedent?
Study up a little on stare decisis and res judicata.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
And he's being prosecuted in this country. What's your problem?
The problem is the NJ judge's not actionable ruling, and the reason the judge gave for that ruling.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, not hedging. The facts are quite clear. It's a mystery why you continue to argue against them.

Hedging. You don't answer questions, you hedge instead. I can list the questions you refuse to answer. Would you like me to do that for you?

The NJ judge ruled the defendant's acts against his wife not actionable. That would have been the legal precedent.

Not actionable for the purposes of a restraining order. Unless you're arguing that the criminal proceedings against the defendant were suspended? And you're not arguing that, are you? Because that would be contradicted by the FACTS.

You may believe that but if you had read the Appellate Court's decision, you would have seen the citations of the statutes that contradict your opinion.

You left out the part about the man's belief (Islamic Sharia law) being a prominent factor in the NJ judge's ruling.

Study up a little on stare decisis and res judicata.

Stare decisis would only apply if you have this judge establishing a precedent. He didn't. People have always been able to argue in hearings regarding restraining orders that the situation has changed. People have always been able to argue in courts like this that when they committed the crime they didn't know their actions comprised a crime. NO NEW PRECEDENT was established. So stare decisis is moot.

Try again.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Stare decisis would only apply if you have this judge establishing a precedent. He didn't.
Yes, that ruling would have established a precedent. That's why the Appellate Court Judges expressed concern over the ruling in their decision, stated that they soundly rejected it, and promptly overturned it.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, that ruling would have established a precedent. That's why the Appellate Court Judges expressed concern over the ruling in their decision, stated that they soundly rejected it, and promptly overturned it.
The precedent of what? What's the precedent again?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The precedent of what? What's the precedent again?
The answer is in the Appellate Court Judges' decision statement:
Quote:
THE TRIAL COURT ABUSED ITS DISCRETION BY ...FINDING THAT DEFENDANT LACKED THE REQUISITE INTENT TO COMMIT SEXUAL ASSAULT AND CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONTACT BASED UPON HIS RELIGION

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The answer is in the Appellate Court Judges' decision statement:
Can you do anything but link to that quote? Can you actually explain what it means? Can you answer in your own words? I've been very kind about explaining in my own words what I think these things mean. You don't seem to be able to explain anything.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:29 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
I just want to make sure that I heard this correctly.

A family court judge has the power to overturn the Reynolds v US?

My, what interesting developments have taken place.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Can you do anything but link to that quote? Can you actually explain what it means?
Why is that necessary? Do you not understand the Appellate Court Judges' decision, why they specifically stated what they did, and the implication of such?
Quote:
Can you answer in your own words? I've been very kind about explaining in my own words what I think these things mean. You don't seem to be able to explain anything.
My own words are irrelevant. The Appellate Court decision is quite clear.

I have no idea why you insist on believing the NJ judge's ruling means what you want it to or what you think it does, even though the Appellate Court Judges' decision has made it quite clear that your interpretation is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies