Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM

884 posts, read 716,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I hope they first deal with establishing control of our border. We have more immediate problems to fix!

I agree with this statement..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is one in Greeneville, Tennessee that did. He has 8,000 patients.

Some in Nashville have done the same thing. Same result. Reduced costs.

It only makes sense. The more people you have involved in a process (govt and insurance cos.) the more expensive the process is going to be.

Eliminate all the middle-men and you have docotr and patient left. That's the cheapest way to do it.

Then people could go and get insurance for things like accidents or catstrophic disease.

We don't have health insurance in this country now. What we have is a bunch of free-loaders in this country that want to send an insurance company 20 bucks a month and then expect them to pay for every little visit to the doctor. That aint insurance. It's theft.
I don't see a link.

It doesn't make as much sense as you think. A doctor cannont run an office by him/herself. Most need a nurse or some sort of ancillary health professional to "work up" the patients, give the immunizations, do the procedures, etc. They need a receptionist to check patients in, even if insurance isn't involved. They need someone to do the billing, even if ins. isn't involved.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Read about it in a book by Larry Elder 15 years ago. It was called "Ten Things You Can't Say in America."

Never looked up a link. I'm sure there is one out there.

It's a matter of pubic policy. It's gotta be in some appropriations bill.
I googled that title and didn't get anything. I've heard a lot of nutty things about different people controlling the supply of doctors (most often blaming the AMA), but I've never heard that and it sounds nutty. If it's in some appropriations bill, maybe you can dig it up.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:13 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
"The government has not been able to run anything and do it well, look at the Post Office."

well off the subject but considering you brought it up, what complaint do you have with the USPS? Is it that you can send a letter for less than $.50 versus around $15.00 that the same piece of mail would cost going Fed-Ex or UPS? To be fair, lets compare it to 2nd day delivery, around $8.00 and change.
Your quote from NiteRider I believe. You can add this to Govt not being able to run anything. VA Health Care. Demand for it has skyrocketed over recent years, yet the cost per patient have remained very stable. Medicare nor Private Health Care can remotely say that. Although Medicare does better than Private. The VA is completely Govt run, Medicare is partially Govt and Private, the worst for costs, is Private. The statements that VA care is terrible, is complete BS and improving very rapidly, thanks to Obama's additional funding. This phenomenon includes a large influx of very expensive war injuries, as well.

The Health Care System for Veterans: An Interim Report

Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Your quote from NiteRider I believe. You can add this to Govt not being able to run anything. VA Health Care. Demand for it has skyrocketed over recent years, yet the cost per patient have remained very stable. Medicare nor Private Health Care can remotely say that. Although Medicare does better than Private. The VA is completely Govt run, Medicare is partially Govt and Private, the worst for costs, is Private. The statements that VA care is terrible, is complete BS and improving very rapidly, thanks to Obama's additional funding. This phenomenon includes a large influx of very expensive war injuries, as well.

The Health Care System for Veterans: An Interim Report
The government does a good job of running most things.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Public education, with 40-50% of every class dropping out of many big-city districts?

State employee pension systems, underfunded by hundreds of billions of dollars?

Federal government, paying employees 60% above the wages of the rest of us?

Welfare systems, rife with fraud?

IRS, with hundreds of emloyees claiming the homebuyers tax credit although not eligible?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Dead on arrival. Obamacare is here to stay. That battle is already over. Reminds me of the silly Republicans that came out and swore to overturn Roe vs Wade. That was in 1973. Still the law of the land. This will be too.

Congress doesn't have the coconuts to pronounce a SC decision unconstitutional. But this is an act of Congress and the Administration that will be challeged by twenty states and for which the voting public has sent Republicans to changes. The people have already decided OC is DOA.

Last edited by momonkey; 11-06-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
The Govt is a bunch of bureaucracies, and there are inherent inefficiencies. That is true in the VA as well. As I said it is improving rapidly. I think we saw similar problems with Katrina response and BP Oil spill response also. Those types of things occur throughout Govt. It will be a long term continuous project to clean those up, and consequently, reduce spending. It is an effort that needs to be taken on, no matter which Political Party is in control. I think they both would agree with that.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Congress doesn't have the coconuts to pronounce a SC decision unconstitutional. But this is an act of Congress and the Administration that will be challeged by twenty states and for which the voting public has sent Republicans to changes. The people have already decided OC is DOA.
For some reason I always feel that I am drinking cheap whiskey when I read your posts......which are full of base
nonsense and emotion.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
You're kidding I hope??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies