Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:53 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

I think most of the shift from suburbs back to urban centers is due to transportation costs and commute times. Suburbs are dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Trickle up poverty is not something to be celebrated. It is better to bring the innercity poor to educational and economic success than to bring all of society to the lower levels of parity.
But check it out...these families moving back into affordable housing are not 'lowering' anything...not at all...they're simply re learning the value of living within your means...

Now there seems to be two direction of thought here....

One is of the rich and affluent moving back into metropolitian areas buying expensive downtown condos and such...

I'm not refering to them...I'm talking about normal families...like say a 2010 version of the Brady Bunch family...moving in next to Thelma and JJ from Good times...

Or Say the family from 'Growing Pains'...moving in next to Lamount and Fred from 'Sanford and son'...

These families seem totally happy and content, and are no longer stressing over pay checks stretched to far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think most of the shift from suburbs back to urban centers is due to transportation costs and commute times. Suburbs are dying.
That traffic commute is what makes driving in and out of cities in the morning and afternoons such a headache...

Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
As the economic wall of disparity begins to shrink, between whites and blacks...I think it's wonderful that you now see more and more white families moving back into parts of towns and or cities, that their parents fled from decades ago...

Gone are the days that just because you were a young yuppie professional...the banks would extend $500,000 loans to ya...

Now, many 'whites' are feeling the economic pinch, that many folks in the cities have...and as such...are becoming much more practical in choosing their first home...or second home, after loosing the $250,000 home in the suburbs...

As foreclosers show no sign of slowing down...many former suburban families...are discovering that realistate can be had for relative cheap prices in the city...and as such, at least where I'm able to observe, your seeing more 'white' families move back into the 'hood'....and occupying or buying houses and realistate for bargain basement prices...

I think that is a good thing...as these parts of town need more 'diversity'...and whites will bring that badly needed diversity to the hoods that they are now beggining to rehabitate...

When whites and blacks live together, in the same hoods, and their kids hang out, they seem to develope a better understanding of each other...

I observe nothing but peace and harmony where I see these white families re assimilating into hoods that their parents or grandparents fled from decades ago...bravo...
Oh, so underclass black people who have lived in the hood for generations, watched their friends and neighbors be priced out of the hood; and know they are next to go, should be jumping for joy because yuppie white people who really want nothing to do with poor black people, moved in next door? I don't think so.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Oh, so underclass black people who have lived in the hood for generations, watched their friends and neighbors be priced out of the hood; and know they are next to go, should be jumping for joy because yuppie white people who really want nothing to do with poor black people, moved in next door? I don't think so.
Boy, where did that poor attitude come from??

If you've been reading what i was writing...I explained how the people, wonderful white people, moving back into the hood aren't of the 'yuppie' class...they're regular normal working class families or induvisuals...blue collar...their income levels reflect that of the communties they settle back into...and their aim isn't to run anyone out...their aim is simply to live within their means and be happy and to get along with their neighbors...

Not all whites are 'rich' ya know...many, most, are just regular working class middle or lower income....

And living together helps people realize that and does aways with a lot of lies that keep us seperated politically...

So I see it as a good thing...the hoods need diversifying...

Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
As the economic wall of disparity begins to shrink, between whites and blacks...I think it's wonderful that you now see more and more white families moving back into parts of towns and or cities, that their parents fled from decades ago...

Gone are the days that just because you were a young yuppie professional...the banks would extend $500,000 loans to ya...

Now, many 'whites' are feeling the economic pinch, that many folks in the cities have...and as such...are becoming much more practical in choosing their first home...or second home, after loosing the $250,000 home in the suburbs...

As foreclosers show no sign of slowing down...many former suburban families...are discovering that realistate can be had for relative cheap prices in the city...and as such, at least where I'm able to observe, your seeing more 'white' families move back into the 'hood'....and occupying or buying houses and realistate for bargain basement prices...

I think that is a good thing...as these parts of town need more 'diversity'...and whites will bring that badly needed diversity to the hoods that they are now beggining to rehabitate...

When whites and blacks live together, in the same hoods, and their kids hang out, they seem to develope a better understanding of each other...

I observe nothing but peace and harmony where I see these white families re assimilating into hoods that their parents or grandparents fled from decades ago...bravo...
I'm really not sure that this is true. I would like to see some documented evidence of this trend. I was a kid when my parents and grandparents left an area of Chicago 40 years ago that was turning bad. I could never see myself moving into that area. It has become a hard core ghetto. Above all else, I value living in a safe neighborhood. I would live in a rural trailer park before I would return to anywhere in Chicago.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'm really not sure that this is true. I would like to see some documented evidence of this trend. I was a kid when my parents and grandparents left an area of Chicago 40 years ago that was turning bad. I could never see myself moving into that area. It has become a hard core ghetto. Above all else, I value living in a safe neighborhood. I would live in a rural trailer park before I would return to anywhere in Chicago.
My comment and observations apply mainly to South Eastern cities...I'm not sure about Northern or midwestern cities...

Their kind of laid out differently...

And you gotta remember there's different levels of inner city...
Not all of the inner city consists of high rise section 8 housing...there are homes and decent hoods within many city limits...that look or appear quite rural...

Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
The ghettos here have no grocery stores. They left with the white flight. So, if that means that they bring back grocery stores, that works. If that means that their presence means more focus on gangs and ending the drive-bys, that works. If that means that more money goes to the public education system, that works. If that means that a good half a dozen can get over their Klan mentality then that works, too.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
I dont see how adding white people to a black ghetto improves anything. How will it improve the "ghetto"? How will it improve safety? It wont.

And im not rich, though not extremely poor. But as I was looking for a home last year, in Connecticut where home prices and cost of living are absolutely insane...except for certain areas, I was limited in my options. I couldve gone to "ghettos" or very poor areas, but I refused. I lucked out and managed to get into a decent area. My problem is not that the areas are poor, its that they are not safe.

The reason some of us "white" people want to avoid "ghettos" is not because of black people. It is because of safety. If an area is high in crime, specifically violent crime, I dont want to live there. PERIOD. I dont care if the crime is committed by a certain race or not. Violence and murder is violence and murder

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The ghettos here have no grocery stores. They left with the white flight. So, if that means that they bring back grocery stores, that works. If that means that their presence means more focus on gangs and ending the drive-bys, that works. If that means that more money goes to the public education system, that works. If that means that a good half a dozen can get over their Klan mentality then that works, too.
Oh do I have the perfect song for this occasion...unfortunatly I don't have enough data usage left for this cycle to upload it...yep..you guessed it..

'Ebony and Ivory'...by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder...

A wonderful song, to usher in this new economic reality...

Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Sounds like a pipe dream to me. People self-segregate for a reason (and that's people of all races that do this)... because they are most comfortable around "their own". I realize that the SE tends to be more integrated than the Midwest, but taking one look at the suburbs and collar counties of Chicago and you'll see that almost every town is predominately of ____ race, whichever that may be. The driving factors on where people settle are safety and quality of schools. If those needs are not met in "the 'hood", don't expect a huge influx of anyone to those areas.

And, I'm not positive but are you insinuating that the blacks living in "the hood" are incapable of rehabilitating their own neighborhoods without the help of whites moving into town, and if so, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies