Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I prefer to call him a communist/marxist Black muslim illegal alien Kenyan.

You can call him what you like, it doesn't mean he is what you call him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Took part in", LOL! He lived there, with his mother and step-father, for four years, from ages 6-10. That hardly means he "took part in" Indonesian culture.
An Indonesian step-father, whose name he took. And you think he didn't take part in Indonesian culture? How odd.

Quote:
I believe the school he went to was a religious school. It would not be unusual here in the US for a religious school to ask one's religion. In fact, my kids went to religious colleges and they were asked their religious preferences.
Exactly. Obama's religion is noted as Islam.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
An Indonesian step-father, whose name he took. And you think he didn't take part in Indonesian culture? How odd.

Exactly. Obama's religion is noted as Islam.
"Whose name he took"? He was SIX YEARS OLD at the time he "took" this name. His mother and step-father made that decision for him. It still doesn't mean he immersed himself into the Indonesian culture.

People can change religions. I know many who have.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Interesting then that an Indonesian school record would list a student's religion. Apparently, in that culture, of which Obama took part in, it's important.
I have Indonesian family and they all have a religion written down on their papers but most of them don't actually believe in the same thing as what's written down. For example my brother is written down as a Christian but they didn't even ask him what he believed. They just assumed he's Christian cause he's a white man. My sister-in-law is written down as a Buddhist but her beliefs are much closer to Islam.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
"Took part in", LOL! He lived there, with his mother and step-father, for four years, from ages 6-10. That hardly means he "took part in" Indonesian culture. I believe the school he went to was a religious school. It would not be unusual here in the US for a religious school to ask one's religion. In fact, my kids went to religious colleges and they were asked their religious preferences.

Sure was. A Catholic school, to be exact.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
"Whose name he took"? He was SIX YEARS OLD at the time he "took" this name. His mother and step-father made that decision for him. It still doesn't mean he immersed himself into the Indonesian culture.
So, you're trying to convince us that Obama, as a 6-year-old, was not under the cultural influence of his step-father, whose name he took, in his step-father's country. Not likely. Parents are a pretty big influence in a 6-year-old's life. Hence, the Soetoro name as a 6-year-old.

Quote:
People can change religions. I know many who have.
Obama has never talked about changing his religion.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Sure was. A Catholic school, to be exact.
A Catholic school? And yet his religion is listed as Islam.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
A Catholic school? And yet his religion is listed as Islam.
But if we're talking about cultural influences, as you mentioned in your very last post, wouldn't a Catholic school give him a Catholic influence?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
There is a difference between living in Indonesia and "immersing" oneself in the Indonesian culture. His mother was an American. That would be a big difference between him and most of the other Indonesians, especially 40 years ago.

Obama says he is a Christian. We don't know every detail of his faith journey. Maybe we should just believe him.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
But if we're talking about cultural influences, as you mentioned in your very last post, wouldn't a Catholic school give him a Catholic influence?
A school? Maybe. Clearly there was no religious conversion as his record states his religion as Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies