Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't work for a Fortune 500 company and neither does my husband. He is a successful manager and franchisee and I am still new at my job as I just graduated with my bachelor's in May. So it has nothing to do with working for a Fortune 500 company and nothing to do necessarily with the economy. Yes, the economy contributes, but if you lose your job, you go get another one. You don't say "Well,that job is below me" or "That job doesn't pay enough" and be happy with getting unemployment and welfare benefits. You do what you have to do to make ends meet and take responsibility for your family's needs. You're just making excuses. For what it's worth, my husband came from a poor family and had no father, he is the oldest of four kids and the only one who is not getting gov't handouts. Intergenerational poverty is a problem that needs to be addressed in all communities, not just the black community, so I will give you that.

I didn't say everyone on the "other side of town" is a bad parent because they may not be able to afford living on the "good" side of town. I said the poor ghetto people are there for a reason and probably aren't such great parents. I'm sorry, but if you're living off welfare, what kind of example is that setting for your kids? What kind of lifestyle are you leading and how is it affecting your kids? Maybe these people should have thought twice before they even started having kids, much less multiple kids.
I'd rep you more if I could.

What annoys me so much about black posters who are quick to label whites racist is that they themselves subscribe to the most ignorant stereotypes of whites -- that we all had advantages and didn't earn our own way. Like your husband, I also grew up in extreme poverty. My sister was the first person in our entire family to get a college degree, and she was followed by another sister, a brother, and me. No one helped us. We gave moral support to each other but even if we had not had each other, we had friends. We got good grades so we could qualify for merit scholarships. My mother did not encourage us. She was an alcoholic who was jealous of the time we spent studying. I remember my sisters having to sneak off somewhere to do their homework. What put that motivation into them?

I remember as a 12 year old CHILD making a decision not to hang out with the low life kids at school. I remember distinctly looking at the successful families and trying to analyze what it was that they had that made them successful. I never once assumed it was because they were somehow undeserving and just lucky. I copied them in every way I knew how. I chose to hang out with the winners. One thing that was crystal clear -- I knew if I got pregnant, it would be that final burden I probably could not overcome and I wasn't willing to take that chance. I also understood that drugs and crime didn't pay off.

If I could see these things AS A CHILD, why can't black adults in the ghetto see it and teach their children? Untimely pregnancy, drug usage, and getting into criminal activity are the three things that will pretty much sink your ship. One CAN overcome all those mistakes, but it's just making it all that much harder on oneself.

I am not willing to contribute a penny toward people who lack the fundamental human intelligence to make such basic common sense decisions. Once someone applies themselves in school and shows seriousness in their goal of getting an education OR working to learn a trade, then I'd be more than happy to help in whatever way I can. One last thing -- we've yammered on and on in this country about sex education and birth control availability. Yet 72% of black children are born out of wedlock? What's up with that?

To the blacks who are offended, how about answering that question instead of just posting what a racist I am?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:40 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
What annoys me so much about black posters who are quick to label whites racist is that they themselves subscribe to the most ignorant stereotypes of whites -- that we all had advantages and didn't earn our own way. Like your husband, I also grew up in extreme poverty. My sister was the first person in our entire family to get a college degree, and she was followed by another sister, a brother, and me. No one helped us. We gave moral support to each other but even if we had not had each other, we had friends. We got good grades so we could qualify for merit scholarships. My mother did not encourage us. She was an alcoholic who was jealous of the time we spent studying. I remember my sisters having to sneak off somewhere to do their homework. What put that motivation into them?

I remember as a 12 year old CHILD making a decision not to hang out with the low life kids at school. I remember distinctly looking at the successful families and trying to analyze what it was that they had that made them successful. I never once assumed it was because they were somehow undeserving and just lucky. I copied them in every way I knew how. I chose to hang out with the winners. One thing that was crystal clear -- I knew if I got pregnant, it would be that final burden I probably could not overcome and I wasn't willing to take that chance. I also understood that drugs and crime didn't pay off.

If I could see these things AS A CHILD, why can't black adults in the ghetto see it and teach their children? Untimely pregnancy, drug usage, and getting into criminal activity are the three things that will pretty much sink your ship. One CAN overcome all those mistakes, but it's just making it all that much harder on oneself.

I am not willing to contribute a penny toward people who lack the fundamental human intelligence to make such basic common sense decisions. Once someone applies themselves in school and shows seriousness in their goal of getting an education OR working to learn a trade, then I'd be more than happy to help in whatever way I can. One last thing -- we've yammered on and on in this country about sex education and birth control availability. Yet 72% of black children are born out of wedlock? What's up with that?

How about answering that question instead of just posting what a racist I am.

Outside of my children, why the h.ll would I care about the % of children born out of wedlock? Do you care about the high percentage of white men molesting children? What about the percentage of white men abusing their wives? What are YOU as a White person doing to curb this? When are YOU going to take responsibility for the White serial killers. Once YOu take responsibility for these actions, I'll take responsibility for the drug dealers, the school drop outs, unwed mothers.

Its called personal responsibility. Look up the meaning, I don't recall anywhere in the definition where it states that a race is responsible for someone else's actions.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
What ignorant world are you apart of? Please show me some form of data that indicates everyone living in as you say the ghetto are on welfare...I know many in every area of the country White and Black who live in the "lower" parts of towns who are HARD WORKING, some who have been on their jobs for 10 or 30 years, these are folks who have owned single or multifamily homes for years, paid taxes and raised a family. Its not that they don't care that they live on the Eastside of town or the South side of town, these are folks that prioritize what's important in their life.

For someone judgemental as you who have you bias against "living within your mean" as a way to state these people are on welfare and beneath you, Yes you are "racist", may not be racially racists, but definately cultural. You have a little more growing up to do.
I'm a part of Earth, welcome.

I never said "everyone in the ghetto is on welfare." There are many people on welfare who do not live in the ghetto and vice versa. But when you say "Its not that they don't care that they live on the Eastside of town or the South side of town, these are folks that prioritize what's important in their life," you are just not getting it. It's not safe to live in the ghetto, so if they are totally content with living in a crime infested area, their priorities are a little skewed. I know there are many hardworking people who still end up on welfare, but the statistics speak for themselves. Over 50% of Americans contribute nothing to the tax base and in fact are on some form of welfare. Also, if they can afford to purchase a home, they can probably afford to not live in the ghetto, white or black. Besides which, rent in the ghetto is comparable to rent outside the ghetto, so there is no excuse, really.

I never said anyone was beneath me and I don't act like it. And I don't think I said people should live within their means, although I do believe that. I believe that people should pull their own weight, no matter how tough the situation gets. It's not called racist if you're biased against a certain culture, it's called having common sense to notice a trend and predict future behavior.

There is not a five year max to welfare, but it depends on which type you're referring to and in which state. I have family members on it (*gasp* they're white and hispanic! But none of them live in the ghetto...although all but one have no goals...interpret that however you want).

Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I wasn't say you are in YOU but meaning the black population. I doubt all it takes is an apology, was my point.

I'm not prejudging anyone. It is a fact that black people consume more of the HHS budget than any other race. Here's one example:

Nearly half of all U.S. children will use food stamps, says poverty expert | Newsroom | Washington University in St. Louis
Quote:
90 percent of black children will be in a household that uses food stamps. This compares to 37 percent of white children.
If you go the the link that you supplied and read the article and actually watch the video it says.

Quote:
90 percent of black children will be in a household that uses food stamps. This compares to 37 percent of white children AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.
NOT

Quote:
90 percent of black children will be in a household that uses food stamps. This compares to 37 percent of white children.
The fact you would use this link and then post a misleading quotes makes me highly doubtful that you REALLY have an interest in an honest open dialouge on this issue.

I also have doubt the validity of the study itself according to the 2000 census only 24.9% of all Black Americans live below the poverty level It's patently illogical that 90% of Black children will be on food stamps at one time or another if the poverty rate for Black Americans is about 24.9%.

The data taken from the study comes from only about 7,000 families.
http://psidonline.isr.umich.edu/CDS/TA07_UserGuide.pdf

See page 5 for this excerpt

Quote:
The Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID) is a longitudinal survey of a nationally representative sample of U.S. families. Since 1968, the PSID has collected data on family composition changes, housing and food expenditures, marriage and fertility histories, employment, income, wealth, time spent in housework, health, expenditures, philanthropy, and more. Over 60,000 people have ever participated in the panel, which includes up to four generations within a family. The PSID is the longest running panel on family dynamics and is considered one of the most important data archives in the world.
The PSID follows adults through the full life course. Children born to an original-sample member are classified as sample members and are eligible for tracking as separate family units when they set up their own households.
The PSID now is conducted every other year by telephone, with data collection commencing in March and ending by December of odd years.
In 1997, PSID initiated the Child Development Supplement (CDS) to collect additional data on children, age 0-12, and their parents. The objective of this supplement was to allow researchers to study the dynamic process of early human capital formation. The CDS-I collected data on 2,394 PSID families and their 3,563 children. In 2002-2003, CDS-II re-contacted these families, and successfully re-interviewed 2,017 of them (91%), which provided data on 2,908 children/adolescents aged 5-18 years. The data collection activities for CDS-I, II, and III were quite extensive. Within the context of family, neighborhood, and school environments, CDS gathered information about a broad array of developmental outcomes including (but not limited to) physical health, emotional well-being, cognitive abilities and academic achievements, and social relationships with family and peers. Each CDS target child could have up to eight modules of data collected from three different family members (primary and secondary caregivers and target child) and a school resource (teacher and/or school administrative data).
There about 36 to 38 million Black Americans. The sample size of the study isn’t large enough to accurate for Black Americans or White American or ANYBODY for that matter.

Census data information takes a much wider sampling of people than the study you have from the Washington University.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/censr-25.pdf

See page 15 for the Poverty Rates for Black Americans

Also 31.2% of Black American household are married couple households (see page 6) and they have a median income of $50,690 (page 14). Again it’s patently illogical to have a demographic where 31.2 % of the households have a median income of $50, 690 and say that 90% of all the children IN THE ENTIRE DEMOGRAPHIC will at one time or another receive food stamps.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 11-11-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Outside of my children, why the h.ll would I care about the % of children born out of wedlock? Do you care about the high percentage of white men molesting children? What about the percentage of white men abusing their wives? What are YOU as a White person doing to curb this? When are YOU going to take responsibility for the White serial killers. Once YOu take responsibility for these actions, I'll take responsibility for the drug dealers, the school drop outs, unwed mothers.

Its called personal responsibility. Look up the meaning, I don't recall anywhere in the definition where it states that a race is responsible for someone else's actions.
I never said you were personally responsible for the low life people of your race -- I said stop making excuses for them and blaming their failures on whitey.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:

You're taking my line! I am the one harping on personal responsibility but nobody here seems to understand. If it's not your problem to deal with the black community's problems, why are you so defensive?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there is not. That is something that both parties need to ractify.
WASHINGTON, Dec. 8 — Although the 1996 welfare law set a five-year limit for benefits, the economy is in recession at the very time the benefits are set to end, and many states are setting the deadlines aside for more and more recipients.

Recession Is Stretching the Limit on Welfare Benefits - New York Times

Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I never said you were personally responsible for the low life people of your race -- I said stop making excuses for them and blaming their failures on whitey.

Reading is definately fundamental. Point to any of my posts where I made excuses for anyone. Unlike someone who is completely bias and racists, I don't judge people I do not personally know. Unlike someone who is bias and racists I do not judge anyone who can not afford to live in the suburbs. Unlike someone bias or racists i do not make statments that someone doesn't care for their children because they can not move from the low section of town. So unless you could point to where I've made excuses for anyone, where I "blamed" whitey, your comment is just another LIE to try and make it seem like your making a point.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:

Girl what part of ignore list are you not understanding? You might as well talk to your wall. This is a revolving circle of nowhere. Especially since the people who claim it's the responsibility of black people to save the other black people will be the first ones to holler reverse racism when black people implement a program to do just that.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
WASHINGTON, Dec. 8 — Although the 1996 welfare law set a five-year limit for benefits, the economy is in recession at the very time the benefits are set to end, and many states are setting the deadlines aside for more and more recipients.

Recession Is Stretching the Limit on Welfare Benefits - New York Times

I remember this law. Christie Whitman was the Governor of NJ, who also tried to enforce this, but hasn't gone too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies