Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And they "know" this because...? Maybe we'd start tipping more if cabs had the urge to actually stop for us.
They know this because as a newbie, you don't know better and you learn quickly as to who tips and who doesn't. I can't say that all whites tip well, actually, I once waited on some people from another country who had no concept of tipping, and they would were white in color, just not in culture, since for our purposes, white=American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
And the self-pity.

Everybody has plenty of that to go around atm.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
And your posts reek of idiocy and "reverse racism." You sound like you're trying to compensate for some kind of flaw within yourself.
yes, when all else fails, resort to being insulting. i must just be a terrible person who likes to start trouble, right? i mean it's not possible that the issue is something that i'm genuinely concerned with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Wow this post is going to need a dissection:

Like everyone else in this world they should work to get their work out there. There's plenty of outlets for getting attention now that we have the internet and I don't see what being black has to do with that. Plenty of people struggle to make it in that industry, they should be recognized because their talents are worth recognizing. If someone's talented, I don't think it'll matter what color their skin is in this day and age.
true, all artists have to work to get their music out there, but BET and similar stations gave those artists a platform to make their music popular. and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that, no matter how much you try to spin it

Quote:
What channel are you watching? I see plenty of black people on normal television. Sure maybe not as many as white people but last I checked this country had more white people than black people. Not to mention a very large portion of the music played on MTV these days is done by (but not limited to) black artists.
not an acceptable excuse. period.

Quote:
I'm sure you do. Just not sure what having your own TV station does for you. I don't see Asian-Americans with their own television station or Latinos in America.
Tr3s, Music Videos, Playlists, Reality TV, Artist News, Tours, Artist News, Contests | Tr3s

Mainsite | Telemundo

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
That's because of self-segregation.

Do you live in a neighborhood with mostly whites? Do you shop on the white side of town or go to work with all white people? Do you have white friends that you hang out with on a regular basis? Chances are, you cannot honestly answer yes to all of these questions. It's just a fact of life that like attracts like.

Chances are, you don't know me or where I live. Why don't I see what Wikipedia says...

Dimond District, Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And funnily enough, there's an equal mix of just about everybody on my street. Whites, African Americans, Jamaicans, Mexicans, Tongans, Nicaraguans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans... its basically the same as the neighborhood right next to me:

Laurel, Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's your neighborhood like?

I in fact have friends of many different backgrounds, including white. How many asian or latino friends do you have?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
First off, there is no "plight." Any supposed plight is all in your head and/or created by your own people (i.e., welfare recipients and ghetto thugs).
keep telling yourself that. it will help you sleep at night

Quote:
The comment about Carlton was straight-up racist. It's supposed to be taken as an insult b/c Carlton was well-mannered, well-spoken and well-dressed...like a white person? Seriously, this is getting really out of control. OMgosh I just realized something! I'm white but I watched a show about black people! The horror!
lol you would like carlton. the gag throughout most of the show's run was that carlton was oblivious to what many blacks have to go thru. he grew up privileged in a predominately white neighborhood, so his mindset was influenced by his environment. he never struggled, so he could not understand where other blacks were coming from when they talked about their struggles. he did not understand most black culture, so he criticized it...can't remember the episode, but there was a point in the series where he grows up and finally realizes just how blind he was

Quote:
The media does not care about just white people. However, if black people want to stop being portrayed negatively by the media, perhaps they should stop committing crimes and having their mug shot shown on the 11 o'clock news. Why don't YOU be a positive force in your black community and show others that whites aren't evil and don't have any problem with black people other than the ghetto culture that some ascribe to?
why don't you? or are you chicken? it's so funny how many whites are so quick to point out the issues in the black community. well, what are YOU doing to help? i mean, according to you, we don't know what we're doing anyway. so since you know everything, come and spread your wisdom in our nation's ghettos.

if you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

it's not as if you have the gall to say this to any black person's face anyway. so go ahead and get your little keystrokes in.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Chances are, you don't know me or where I live. Why don't I see what Wikipedia says...

Dimond District, Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And funnily enough, there's an equal mix of just about everybody on my street. Whites, African Americans, Jamaicans, Mexicans, Tongans, Nicaraguans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans... its basically the same as the neighborhood right next to me:

Laurel, Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's your neighborhood like?

I in fact have friends of many different backgrounds, including white. How many asian or latino friends do you have?
Unlike you, I don't care what color my friends are enough to sit here and take stock, but I would guess they're predominantly white b/c those are the people I have most in common with. I'm Latina, btw, so I have plenty of Latino friends...I consider myself white, though, b/c I do not have the culture of my Cuban relatives since I was raised by my white mother and white step-father. I do still speak some Spanish, though. Heck, I was born in Miami and non-Latin people are the minority there.

I live in a white village (the suburbs of Milwaukee are incorporated as villages) and work in a village that has more than your average number of blacks. I just moved here so I have no idea where the Asians are. I do know the Spanish ghetto is on the south side and the black ghetto is on the north side but I try to stay out of those areas b/c it's just not safe. As I said, my community is very segregated but that is nobody's fault but our own (all people, not whites).

Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't care what color my friends are enough to sit here and take stock, but I would guess they're predominantly white b/c those are the people I have most in common with. I'm Latina, btw, so I have plenty of Latino friends...I consider myself white, though, b/c I do not have the culture of my Cuban relatives since I was raised by my white mother and white step-father. I do still speak some Spanish, though. Heck, I was born in Miami and non-Latin people are the minority there.

I live in a white village (the suburbs of Milwaukee are incorporated as villages) and work in a village that has more than your average number of blacks. I just moved here so I have no idea where the Asians are. I do know the Spanish ghetto is on the south side and the black ghetto is on the north side but I try to stay out of those areas b/c it's just not safe. As I said, my community is very segregated but that is nobody's fault but our own (all people, not whites).

Hmm... I seem to remember being asked to do just that by you (take stock). Or maybe I'm just hallucinating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821
Do you live in a neighborhood with mostly whites? Do you shop on the white side of town or go to work with all white people? Do you have white friends that you hang out with on a regular basis? Chances are, you cannot honestly answer yes to all of these questions. It's just a fact of life that like attracts like.

Nope, didn't think so.

Getting back to the rest of your comment, do you know anybody from and/or currently living in the "ghettos" you speak of? Somehow I doubt they share your views on how poor black and latino neighborhoods bring it on themselves. By your logic poor whites do too.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
keep telling yourself that. it will help you sleep at night

lol you would like carlton. the gag throughout most of the show's run was that carlton was oblivious to what many blacks have to go thru. he grew up privileged in a predominately white neighborhood, so his mindset was influenced by his environment. he never struggled, so he could not understand where other blacks were coming from when they talked about their struggles. he did not understand most black culture, so he criticized it...can't remember the episode, but there was a point in the series where he grows up and finally realizes just how blind he was

why don't you? or are you chicken? it's so funny how many whites are so quick to point out the issues in the black community. well, what are YOU doing to help? i mean, according to you, we don't know what we're doing anyway. so since you know everything, come and spread your wisdom in our nation's ghettos.

if you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

it's not as if you have the gall to say this to any black person's face anyway. so go ahead and get your little keystrokes in.
No, I just have my head screwed on straight. I have enough problems of my own than to sit up at night worrying about yours.

I thought Carlton was a little brat. But the fact that he supposedly never struggled has nothing to do with him being black or being raised in a white neighborhood (by presumably black parents). It has to do with his family having money.

I'm not chicken to defend the respectful treatment of all human beings to anyone. The people who have the problem should be the ones who deal with it. Like you. Pray tell, what do you suppose I do about the black community, being white and all? The church I am going to be trying out on Sunday (like I said, we just moved here) actually has an outreach program to the near north side which is comprised of inner city blacks. It's a mentoring program for the youth. The church is full of white people and located in one of the richest white neighborhoods of the metro. But nooo, whites will never reach a hand out to blacks to try to improve things! It's a ministry I might consider participating in if I know I'm not likely to be assaulted while in these neighborhoods, b/c all children are important to me as they are the future of this country. If not for the church, though, I likely wouldn't do anything about the "black problem" b/c I'm not black and it's really not my problem. It goes back to my conservative value of personal responsibility: You control your own destiny.

I'm not sure what I'd say if you were standing in front of me. Chances are, this topic never would have come up if you were face to face with me and the others on CD. But if a gangster punk came up to me and honestly asked for my advice on how he could improve his life, the first thing I'd say is to quit the "white people are evil" rhetoric and then to get a new wardrobe.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Hmm... I seem to remember being asked to do just that by you (take stock). Or maybe I'm just hallucinating...

Nope, didn't think so.

Getting back to the rest of your comment, do you know anybody from and/or currently living in the "ghettos" you speak of? Somehow I doubt they share your views on how poor black and latino neighborhoods bring it on themselves. By your logic poor whites do too.
What are you talking about? Your first two points are not making sense.
ETA: I missed the "(take stock)" part of the first one, my apologies. I was not literally asking you to take stock of your situation.

Poor whites do bring it on themselves, as to Latinos. I have members of my family from both groups and yes, they did bring it on themselves. Considering that I used to volunteer at a center where parents could visit with their kids who were removed by the state, I can say that blacks bring it on themselves, too. The majority of the people at that place were white, so believe me when I say I have quite a few problems with my own race as well. It's not about race, for the millionth time, it's about behavior.

Last edited by andrea3821; 11-09-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yes, when all else fails, resort to being insulting. i must just be a terrible person who likes to start trouble, right? i mean it's not possible that the issue is something that i'm genuinely concerned with

true, all artists have to work to get their music out there, but BET and similar stations gave those artists a platform to make their music popular. and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that, no matter how much you try to spin it

not an acceptable excuse. period.

I'm not being insulting. You were actually the one being insulting and I responded to let you know that you're being nasty. It does not seem this is an issue that you want to correct, it seems you want to just have people to argue with since no one is backing up your point, save a few. It honestly seems like there may be a deeper issue here, you're getting too worked up about it. I'm saying that as a college graduate with a degree in psychology, not to be mean. Thus the sad face.

It's not acceptable that blacks have a percentage of roles in TV and film based on their percentage of the population? If there are 12% of blacks in the general population, why shouldn't only 12% of actors be black?

Yes, Latinos have some stations but that is more because they speak a different language, not because it's a different culture. I argue that all immigrants should speak enough English to be able to hold a conversation and watch regular TV, etc., but my stance on immigration issues is a whole different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies