Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,825,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

problem is, it is hard for me to have any sympathy for the plight of "cultural black America", when i feel that they're making an effort to distance themselves from the white anglo-saxon sort of economics, culture, education, family values, et cetera, that i consider to be healthy, traditional, American core values.
just because you feel that way doesn't mean that's what we're doing. black folks are only being themselves

despite what many think, a lot of black folks want that "american dream": the big house with a big yard, and a loving, happy, healthy family. but most of us do not come from that, and how can you expect someone to do better if they've never been shown better?

and "white anglo-saxon sort of economics, culture, education, family values, etc."???? are you f***ing kidding me? that's the most inflammatory mess i've heard in this whole thread.

Last edited by AlGreen; 11-10-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
just because you feel that way doesn't mean that's what we're doing. black folks are only being themselves

despite what many think, a lot of black folks want that "american dream": the big house with a big yard, and a loving, happy, healthy family. but most of us do not come from that, and how can you expect someone to do better if they've never been shown better?

and "white anglo-saxon sort of economics, culture, education, family values, etc."???? are you f***ing kidding me? that's the most inflammatory mess i've heard in this whole thread.

Yep. Smellingly redolent of Pat Buchanan and those of even worse ilk.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
whiney complainey black man, meet whiney complainey white woman....

as sick as you are of hearing blacks go on about slavery, i guarantee you they're equal sick of hearing stuff like what you said above. if it bothers you so much, ignore it.

and i love the way blacks are continuously blamed for race relations being poor. yeah, whites never say anything out-of-line

tell this to those blacks down in rural mississippi who still deal with being called "ni**er"

Rural Mississippi? How about urban New York, suburban New Jersey, laid-back California, multicultural paradise Hawaii and everywhere else the Stars and Stripes (or Bars) flies?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Not sure I should even respond to your post since you just insulted me and everyone else. Good job making yourself sound credible and respectable. this discussion, on my end, has been intelligently thought-out. I can't say the same for everyone else, without naming names here, but I think you can see from the posts who has used their brain and who has used emotions to do the speaking.

I can tell you that the majority of white businessmen do not have any problem with young, educated, intelligent, hard-working black people. They have about as much time for a ghetto thug as they do for a white ignorant hillbilly. You, sir, are perpetuating the stereotypes of whites by spewing this garbage. Black people are not perceived as a social threat to whites, trust me on that one. All people who want to succeed in life are assimilated to the mainstream so a certain extent, except those who can get paid for not being mainstream like Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga (who are both so radical that they have become mainstream).

I personally have no problem with anyone who wants to open a business or become successful, white or black or purple. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has the guts to start a business. I've done it twice and it's extremely difficult to succeed, so more power to anyone who wants to give it a go.

If the black community wants to improve themselves, again, more power to them. They SHOULD do so. Why would that be a problem with anybody?

No, I do not believe (and I don't have time at the moment to read your links) that slavery has any bearing whatever on black society and culture in America today. It's kind of far-fetched. I'm sure my ancestors went through some crappy stuff, too, but I don't try to blame my behaviors or situation on being traumatized by what they went through 150 years ago. I do believe blacks use it as a crutch and in every race discussion still (esp on CD), it has to get brought up. Do you know how irritating that is? Just take responsibility for your own life and be done with it. There is nothing wrong with me saying that, or expecting that, either. It truly is time to get past it, it is not helping further race relations in the 2000s.

I did not say public school systems were teaching black children that. The other poster said her intergenerational trauma theory should be taught when discussing slavery in public schools and I told her that's ridiculous b/c it's akin to telling them they have an excuse for bad behavior and that they'll never get out of the situation they're born into. Why would we teach kids that just b/c their great great great great great great grandparents were slaves that they might have some negative psychological effects from it and that's part of the reason that blacks should be against the evil white man? That's basically the jist of what was being said, in the context of this discussion.
It's not the evil white man who is the problem as much as it is the clueless one.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,052,491 times
Quote:
but most of us do not come from that, and how can you expect someone to do better if they've never been shown better?
Look in a Mirror...

It's called hard work and perseverance and refusal to play the victim card.

Having a father instead of a hit & run baby-daddy helps too, but that is whole different thread.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Look in a Mirror...

Having a father instead of a hit & run baby-daddy helps too, but that is whole different thread.

Your point?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I fail to see why blacks need a separate culture, anyway. Second and third-generation Latinos, Asians and Africans all assimilate into mainstream American society, speak standard English, etc. Why do (some) blacks continue to resist this? Why not assimilate? Why not become part of the larger American fabric instead of constantly wanting to separate yourselves?

Morgan Freeman sums it up perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

I doubt that the Revs Al & Jesse would go along with that idea...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Your point?
It is a father's job to show their son what hard work and perseverance is all about.

Lead by example...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,825,367 times
Quote:
Look in a Mirror...

yeah, and the 16 year old girl born and raised in the slums with a crackhead prostitute mother, who was raped by her deadbeat father, has been surrounded by nothing but violence and drug abuse her entire life, and attends a school where there aren't even enough books for the students is going to just automatically wake up one morning and realize "hey, there's something better for me out there".....

Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
It is a father's job to show their son what hard work and perseverance is all about.

Lead by example...
I do that. I still don't understand your point.

As much as you think things are all hunky dory for us, it is not that way. One one hand, this society considers us second class or inferior or the "other" and then gets bent out of shape when we acknowledge our distinct situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies